US Department of Defense Counsel Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Associate Deputy General Counsel Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of Defense (Arlington, VA) in August 2008.

Interview

A friend of mine dropped my resume off to someone already working with the particular legal group I wanted to join. They were hiring. Once I learned to whom he forwarded my resume, which was key, I then made it a point to periodically stay in touch with this individual until I was scheduled for an interview. It took a while for that to happen. That person (admin) seemed a little slow moving in pushing my resume forward for an interview. But once it was, I was scheduled for an interview. I met with the leader of the legal group and one of his peers. They took turns asking me about my legal experience and the standard range and kind of interview questions. I received an offer a couple of weeks later. But the whole hiring/interview process took about, I'd say, 3-4 months total, from when I forwarded my resume until I got an offer. It required completing one federal government form after another. By the time I filled all of those out, I felt like I had earned the job in a way - it required so much followthrough in completing those materials.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

As far as the negotiations, they asked me what I was currently making, then matched it and added 3%. That was how it went. And there didn't seem to be much wiggle room otherwise, although I tried and was just told they couldn't go any higher. Don't know if I could have negotiated for more if I tried. Likely not, since the competition to get the job was somewhat competitive.