US Department of Defense Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Department of Defense Interview Questions

Updated Jun 19, 2017

2.6

Medical Records Tech Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Defense.

Interview

I applied for the job in April. It took about a month before I was referred to the hiring agency. One week later I was selected for the job. I did not have an interview.

Interview Questions

• I was not asked any questions prior to being hired. The day I started working the manager just spoke to me briefly and explained the job duties.   Answer Question

Medical Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Defense.

Interview

You apply online. It takes weeks to see if your name made the "list" for the opportunity for the job. If you are selected for an interview off of the "list" (you may not be, just because you made the list, doesn't mean you'll get an interview) you are called and an interview is set up. It may take awhile to be notified if you were selected. If you were not, evenutally it pops up on your account. (eventually can be weeks) If you are offered the job, it takes up to 3-4 months to actually start after all the necessary background checks and whatnot. You are not given a set start date either until shortly before you start. It's quite the waiting game.

Negotiation

People say you can negotiate, but negotaitions will take awhile. It depends on the job and who you are if you'll manage to negotiate for anything other than what they want to give you.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fairborn, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at US Department of Defense (Fairborn, OH) in November 2014.

Interview

My resume and networking provided a seamless transition. I had 3 phone interviews then met with the prime contractor. I requested the job description; I was already chosen as a hire and wanted to be aware of the specifics of the job category; length of the contract, etc.

Interview Questions

• Ability to coordinate with Senior Leadership; knowledge of Department of Defense Financial Department Air Force Instruction: Air Force Policy Directive (AFPD) 63-1/20-1, Acquisition and Sustainment.   1 Answer

Supply Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lemoore Naval Air Station, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Defense (Lemoore Naval Air Station, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I didn't get interviewed my qualifications fit the position and was given the job with out protest. There for I showed up to the human resources office with the required documentation and was told I would have a job on the 28th of December and to show up in business casual. After the first two weeks being in Lemoore blue jeans and t-shirt was the name of the day. I love this job just wished it paid more.

Interview Questions

• Can I cluck like a chicken?   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Defense.

Interview

Interview was to show your logical reasoning abilities and values, not about skills. The interview requires you to hold (or abandon) an position, and frequently regresses to an investigation of the principles that underlie your position. Once the principles are articulated, the interviewer frequently uses them in other examples to their logical extreme in order to force an examination your principles and therefore your position. There were also group discussion in which interviewers pitted interviewees against each other in a similar fashion to gauge their abilities to argue, cooperate, etc.

Interview Questions

• Should selling your organs be legal?   1 Answer

CYPA IV Interview

Interview

All over the board. Depending on time of year, you could interview in front of 6 people or go through a phone interview.
    After hiring, it can be 2 months to 5 months before you're put to work since you have to wait to get cleared

Interview Questions

Negotiation

non existant

Interview

There was no Hiring Process, they make sure your fit to serve with tests and physical evaluations and if your good they send you to bootcamp, which is 9 weeks then you go to your unit and they do what they want to you till your out or reenlist.

Negotiation

No negotiations, monthly salary what they say is what you get.

Senior Advisor Interview

Interview

This is a contract process. You are usually locked in contract that will have to be redo every four years. It isn't a contract that you will be able to negotiate. The rules and regulations are set before you every join. You will be able to plan you future and able to forecast what you will make as the years go by. You will even be able to forecast when you will get promoted.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No it wasn't a negotiation phase.

Branch Chief Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Defense.

Interview

You must use the USAJOBS.GOV application process. Top 10 resumes passed to hiring official.
    To help decide whether to interview you or not.
     Some hiring officials will call your old supervisor some will not.
     All of them will do a Face book query on you.

Interview Questions

• Talk about your networking experience emphasis on technical aspects. Router / switch configuration.
      How much windows server, Unix or Linux experience do you have?
      Have you ever run Information Management operations help desk?
      Answer Question

Negotiation

Depends on the unit that you are entering. Some will negotiate pay step some will not.

Logistics Manager Interview

Interview

Took a long time to get the interview. Once I got it, was a panel with very specific closed ended questions. There really was no small talk. The people are really regulated as to what they can do throughout the interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

See What US Department of Defense Employees Are Saying

Star Star Star Star Star   Current Electrical Engineer in Point Mugu NAWC, CA

Pros: “Given the diversity of the US Department of Defense, there are a plethora of different projects and fields of interest that one can pursue throughout their career. There's everything...”“Given the diversity of the US Department of Defense, there are a plethora of different projects and fields of interest that one can pursue throughout their career. There's everything from basic science projects (engineering/modeling and simulation/testing/etc) through to research opportunities and management (project lead/manager/supervisor/etc). The work schedule is a very big plus. As expected, civilian employees are given every federal holiday off -- or the nearest working day, should a federal holiday fall on a weekend. Many departments/locations also work on a Flex Schedule -- typically a 9/80 schedule where employees are off every other Friday. Vacation time can also be a plus. New employees start out earning 4hrs of vacation leave and 4hrs of sick leave every pay period -- equaling 13 8hr days of annual leave and 13 8hr days of sick leave a year. After 3 years, this bumps up to 6hrs of vacation leave every pay period (20 8hr days) and 8hrs per pay period (26 8-hr days) at 15 years. Due to the typical 9/80 Flex Schedule, this results in occasional 3-for-9 weeks - where a federal holiday falls during an off-Friday week, meaning that an employee can take 3 days of leave (usually 26/27 hrs) and get a total of 9 days off. This happens a lot around the big 'end-of-year' holidays, so it can really make planning vacations easier. Sick leave earned stays at 4hrs per pay period forever; however, it has no 'cap' -- meaning you can save up as much as you want. Annual Leave has a cap of 240hrs per year. If you have more than that 'on the books' toward the end of the year, you run into a 'use or lose' situation; meaning you either take the leave and get it credited or you lose it completely. There are some instances during which you can apply to have 'use or lose' leave re-credited, but it can be a hassle to do and is not always granted.” – Full Review