US Department of Defense Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

3.1

24 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Defense (Washington, DC) in August 2017.

Interview

The interview process was one day and lasted for 30 minutes. It was a panel of 3 individuals. They asked questions regarding my ability to travel and working with teams. I was also asked about working with different ethnic groups.

Interview Questions

• How do I interact with Attorneys that are older than me and have been around for a long time?   Answer Question

Senior Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Defense (Washington, DC) in December 2016.

Interview

ECQs are painful and expensive to write and review and there is no guarantee that they will be approved by the QRB even if you are the most qualified person for the job. Then, if they are not accepted, you are prohibited from applying for another SES position for one year.

Interview Questions

• What skills do you have that separate you from the rest?   Answer Question

Budget Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Defense (Washington, DC) in December 2015.

Interview

Filled out an application. Got a phone call two weeks later. Answered some basic questions. Invited to fly out (they paid for it) for in-person interview. Standard questions, nothing too tough or unexpected. Typical behavioral-type questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you handled adversity or conflict in a work environment   Answer Question

Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Defense (Washington, DC).

Interview

Applied on USAJOBS and the process was pretty standard. Received a telephonic interview. The interview was with a panel of 3 members. Each member asked 3 questions. The questions were scripted in order to ensure consistency amongst the candidates. The interview was very thorough and the panel was extremely nice.

Interview Questions

• What role have you performed analyzing processes and management decisions.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

Interview

Follow directions from USA Jobs. Sometimes it is hard to tell if an internal candidate has the inside track for the job offering. The hardest part is getting your resume through Personnel...really key in on the job description and get those key words in your education, training, and experience.

Interview Questions

• It is really hard to tell. Generally will be interviewed by a panel with a set of questions addressed to all being interviewed.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much to negotiate, the pay scale is set. You may be able to get a little more if you can prove that your current salary is above their offer.

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Defense (Washington, DC) in January 2014.

Interview

The hiring process was long. It took about 4 months to get an email. Followed up with a phone. Went in for a panel interview. Why do you want to be a federal employee? What are your strengths and weakness? Do you prefer to work on a team or individually.

Interview Questions

• Questions were very easy, more so about my previous experience.   Answer Question

US Army Operations Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at US Department of Defense (Washington, DC) in June 2013.

Interview

The interview consisted of two individuals in the career field asking a bunch of standard employment questions (strength, weakness, hobbies, etc). There were also a battery of tests and a the filling of an SF86 to apply for a security clearance. Credit report and criminal background checks were also conducted.

FS Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Defense (Washington, DC) in January 2013.

Interview

Wasn't sure who hired me exactly since i had face-to-face; through phone; and emails. The entire process was confusing since you don't have a POC in case you have any questions about the status.

Interview Questions

• Basic relevant questions regarding your current position and previous ones. it was quick and brief   Answer Question

Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a year or more. I interviewed at US Department of Defense (Washington, DC) in August 2012.

Interview

It was fine for the government. Group panel. Brought me in twice in person. Took forever to give the offer. Clearance took a year. Job description not accurate to what I actually ended up doing.

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Defense (Washington, DC) in April 2012.

Interview

For jobs open externally, candidates apply via USAJobs or via the agency web site. Jobs are announced for two weeks and it usually takes two to three weeks for HR to forward eligible candidates to the hiring manager. HR screening is minimal and it is not unusual for all candidates to be forwarded regardless of eligibility. In addition, hiring managers will also get resumes of those who HR deemed not eligible. This allows the hiring manager, to determine if any candidate not deemed eligible should be added to the eligible list. The hiring manager must get HR approval to move a candidate from the ineligible list to the eligible. This is important since only candidates on the eligible list can be selected. My experience as a hiring manager has been HR will usually defer to the hiring manager. ALL eligible applications are reviewed and scored. Company guidelines strongly recommend applications be reviewed by a diverse panel, most hiring managers do this. A diverse panel is one composed of a female and minority rep. They cannot be the same person. Panels are usually composed of four people but can be as small as two. As long as it meets the diversity requirement. I know, I know! How diverse can a panel with only a female and minority be! All female panels also meet the criteria as long as one is a minority. There have been complaints about this so most hiring manager try to form truly diverse panels, including someone from outside their career field but has a relationship with the group. All applicants are reviewed based on the same set of criteria. Criteria is usually based on the job description, additional duties, mandatory and desired requirements section of the job announcement. Tailor your resume to these!!! Hiring managers with input from the panel determine a "best qualified" list. This is the list of candidates who move on to be interviewed. Interviews are not mandatory but strongly recommended. Most hiring managers will interview candidates. Hiring managers like to interview at least four candidates, no more than six. However, there are always exceptions depending on the situation. After the interview candidates are ranked and discussed by the panel, which is chaired by the hiring manager (usually called the Selection Authority). Sometimes a number one ranked candidate may not be selected. As long as the hiring manager can justify this, it's not a problem. For example, Bob is the number one candidate but panel members have first hand knowledge he is not a team player and often is abrasive. Collaboration and teaming is critical to the position. Bill was ranked number two, his score was only marginally lower than Bob's. Bill is know for building teams, forging relationships, tact and diplomacy. Bill is recommended for the position. This recommendation goes forward to the Approving Official. If the panel has done its job and followed the HR guidelines, this is usually straightforward and quick - that is, once the Approving Official gets the package in front of him/her. For external candidates, if selected they will be called by HR and made an offer. Salary negotiations are through HR, but HR typically serves as the liaison between the hiring manager and candidate. At my agency, efficiencies were put in place and this process can be as quick as six weeks, including the time for posting the application. I believe internal applicants can check the status of their applications. Not sure about external applicants. The hiring manager calls all interviewees after a selection is made and often offers feedback. Feedback is always to be provided if requested. All other candidates are notified by HR after an offer is accepted. Panels usually pick an alternative in the event their first choice declines. This avoids repeating the process.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you failed professionally, what lessons did you learn and how did you apply them to future efforts?   1 Answer

Negotiation

It was a lateral move, no bump in salary.