US Department of Education Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Department of Education Interview Questions

Updated Apr 23, 2018

2.7

Policy Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at US Department of Education.

Interview

Started with an Initial interview. There was a short review period. Then was sent a performance task that I had to submit in 48 hours. Afterward, I did two-three interviews in person. Lastly, meet staff, and that was it.

Interview Questions

• A scenario was provided. Scenario led to a question of what I would do in that instance.   Answer Question

Special Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Education (Washington, DC) in June 2014.

Interview

The interview process was thorough. It was a great opportunity to meet the team with whom I would eventually be working and it served as an opportunity to better examine myself and my capabilities. I appreciated the opportunity and would refer others to the job because of the cordiality of the team and how organized the process was.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at US Department of Education (New York, NY).

Interview

After submitting my resume through my university recruiting website, I was selected after a webcam interview with two office executives. It was an easy interview. I received an email a few days later with the hiring decision.

Interview Questions

• Very Basic Questions
      Behavioral and non-technical
      Tell us a fun fact about yourself   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Education.

Interview

I got an email from my supervisor asking to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview lasted approximately 20 minutes, and was with both my immediate supervisor and another person in the department who oversaw some of the technical aspects of what we did. After that, I got another email with the offer.

Intern Interview

Interview

Phone interview and one round manager interview.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Education (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online through a form that I saw on the Department of Ed website. I submitted my resume and cover letter, and specified the offices within the Department that I was interested in. I was then contacted for a phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at the Department of Ed?   2 Answers

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Education in June 2014.

Interview

Sent resume and cover letter to the internship coordinators. They screened my application and sent it to the office I requested to intern with. Interviewed with office staff a couple of weeks later.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at US Department of Education in December 2015.

Interview

I submitted a resume and cover letter to one of the political appointees. She reviewed my resume and emailed me to set up a phone interview. I dialled in on a conference line and she asked me about my education, past work experience, and reasons for applying to the Department of Education.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work with the Department of Education?   Answer Question

Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of Education (Washington, DC) in May 2010.

Interview

The position was described as helping with grants and grant contracts, but during the interview, they didn't ask me about anything related to that. Instead, they wanted to know about my research -- and many details. I wasn't sure how that would help them decide on a candidate.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your research projects, and what methods you used in each.   Answer Question

Risk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of Education (Washington, DC) in May 2009.

Interview

A week after submitting a resume and cover letter, I was contacted about coming in for an on-site interview, which occurred within a few days. The interview was pretty informal -- a 2-on-1 chat about what functions their office performs an what my role would be, if hired. I was asked how I thought my background and skills would enable me to contribute to these functions. They also asked me a few questions about my 'working style' -- how I approach learning to perform novel tasks, how I work with others, etc. Pretty standard. I received a call within the hour with a job offer.

Interview Questions

• If I give you a new task to perform, one you haven't done before, how much oversight/direction should I expect I'll need to provide you?   Answer Question

Not really the sort of position I was looking for.