US Department of Homeland Security Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 19, 2017

2.9

Security Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security (San Antonio, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

DHS was conducting on the spot interviews at a Job fair. I wrote my name on the roster with an HR person doing initial screening of resumes. They then called me and I had a 1on 1 interview to describe in detail the job opportunity,

Interview Questions

• Experience in the field of Security   1 Answer

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security in January 2017.

Interview

I am retired us army and I feel that I would offer working as a border patrol I am very much qualify to work in this area. I did numerous jobs in the military and complete all my tasks by the laws.

Interview Questions

• We talk about the various job I did in the military up to the part were it was top secret.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I would advise other people to join the border patrol.

TSA OFFICER Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

You answerer questions asked about what would you do in certain situations there is also a color blindness test along with a computer type test which test your grammar as well as x ray skills

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you had to use your personal skills to end a situation between you and coworker   1 Answer

Special Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

You will have to prepare to take a test. You will also be interviewed where you will be asked a multitude of law enforcement, investigative questions. You will also be asked basic situational awareness and common sense questions.

Interview Questions

• What would you do upon finding a possible subject on the sidewalk.   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palm Bay, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security (Palm Bay, FL) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview process consist of 5 questions There are three persons giving the questions. All the question are based on giving examples like Give the situation what did you do and the outcome

Interview Questions

• Give an example when you saw a Co worker doing something wrong.   Answer Question

Security Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a year or more. I interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Two person panel. Ask your previous work experience and ways you handled different obstacles. Did drug test, credit check, medical assessment, and temperament questions. Later you will have to take tests on procedures you learn in a 2 week course.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None

Finance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security (Indianapolis, IN) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied for the position on US Jobs and message for an interview took place approx. 5 month later. Interview completed telephonically for approximately 20 minutes with a panel of 3 or 4 employees. Question were based on experience in the Finance industry.

Interview Questions

• Describe you current job? What occasion did you go beyond your work? Explain why you would be the best candidate for the position.   Answer Question

Site Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security.

Interview

Telephone interview; I was in the deputy, site manager position at the time the position became available; the government required that all jobs go through the on line application process therefore, I had to go through the motions of submitting my resume and veteran preference documentation on the USA Jobs site; once all the documentation was received and the advertisement closed out the HQ hiring authority called me and asked me to interview over the phone since I was 150 miles away from the HQ's location in Washington DC.

Branch Chief Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied for the position through USAJOBs and was referred for interview by a panel of four people. The interview panelists asked questions and gave no responses to answers, giving the impression this was essentially a verbal questionnaire, rather than an interview. That made it difficult to determine whether the interview was going well or whether I should adapt my answers to better fit what the interviewers were asking. As a result, it was difficult to have a good interview, though answering the questions was not a difficult process. The panelists scored interview responses against a set of criteria. They did not take resumes into account when making a selection. I did not have the impression that this process would lead to the selection of the best candidate and felt that even if who I felt was the best candidate was selected, it would have been a fluke, not the necessary result of the process.

Interview Questions

• What makes you the best candidate for this job?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if an employee went above you in the chain of command?   Answer Question
    • How would you handle an employee who wanted to go on an external, temporary assignment outside the organization?   Answer Question
    • How would you handle second level editorial review within the branch?   Answer Question

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security (Washington, DC).

Interview

Over the phone. Very nice and helpful. Checked on you to see how you are doing during waiting process for clearance. Ensure you didn't find employment elsewhere. I don't know what else to say. The panel was nice and we became very good friends after I was hired. Best place to begin my career. Best place to begin my career. This needs to be 50 words minimum just so I can get a complete review from another position.

Interview Questions

• What was the latest project you achieved?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Simple and to the point.