US Department of Homeland Security Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

US Department of Homeland Security Interview Questions in Washington, DC

Updated May 20, 2017

2.9

28 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Branch Chief Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied for the position through USAJOBs and was referred for interview by a panel of four people. The interview panelists asked questions and gave no responses to answers, giving the impression this was essentially a verbal questionnaire, rather than an interview. That made it difficult to determine whether the interview was going well or whether I should adapt my answers to better fit what the interviewers were asking. As a result, it was difficult to have a good interview, though answering the questions was not a difficult process. The panelists scored interview responses against a set of criteria. They did not take resumes into account when making a selection. I did not have the impression that this process would lead to the selection of the best candidate and felt that even if who I felt was the best candidate was selected, it would have been a fluke, not the necessary result of the process.

Interview Questions

• What makes you the best candidate for this job?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if an employee went above you in the chain of command?   Answer Question
    • How would you handle an employee who wanted to go on an external, temporary assignment outside the organization?   Answer Question
    • How would you handle second level editorial review within the branch?   Answer Question

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security (Washington, DC).

Interview

Over the phone. Very nice and helpful. Checked on you to see how you are doing during waiting process for clearance. Ensure you didn't find employment elsewhere. I don't know what else to say. The panel was nice and we became very good friends after I was hired. Best place to begin my career. Best place to begin my career. This needs to be 50 words minimum just so I can get a complete review from another position.

Interview Questions

• What was the latest project you achieved?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Simple and to the point.

Programmer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security (Washington, DC) in May 2016.

Interview

Tag-team, three person interview, round Robin questioning dealing with the position - DHS Acquisition process & discipline - how you work within a team - relationship building - what if scenarios.

Interview Questions

• What is you understanding of the DHS Acquisition process?   1 Answer

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security (Washington, DC) in July 2015.

Interview

standard interview questions about my experience, education, background, why I wanted to work there. from the time I applied to getting the interview email was about 6 weeks to 2 months.

Pathways Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security (Washington, DC).

Interview

The application process starts on USAJobs with filling out an application. The interview process for my position was done by phone only. After the selections are done the hiring process is fairly easy. Like most processes it is very time consuming waiting on the background check to clear.

Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security (Washington, DC) in October 2014.

Interview

The first stage involved a phone interview. Here were the questions posed: (1) Tell us about yourself. (2) What makes you want to work at DHS? (3) What attracts your to government work? (4) What areas of law interest you? (5) What is your perfect working environment? (6) What sets you apart from other candidates? (7) What was your greatest challenge in law school? (8) What is the most important thing you learned in law school?

Overall, my interviewer was incredibly nice and interesting to talk to.

Interview Questions

• Frankly, the questions were pretty standard. Nothing really difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security (Washington, DC).

Interview

I really don't recall much of anything about an interview so long ago. The hiring process started out electronically through USAJOBS and I eventually got an in person interview. I dressed by best and presented myself the best I good. Nothing out of the usual.

Interview Questions

• What are you strengths and weakness. Not a new question or unusual, but know your weakness and how you adjust for them   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no room for negotiation.

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security (Frederick, MD).

Interview

Very long process from initiation to application submission to selection. Must pass suitability as well as security clearance process. Standardized Office of Personnel Management questions as per any federal positions. It was posted for a range of GS steps to be negotiated at selection. Household moving was provided with travel per diem.

Interview Questions

• Do you want to be located at HQ in DC or at the lab facility   1 Answer

Negotiation

Top GS 15 salary used previous work experience, accomplishments, salary and employer expectations

Senior Contract Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security (Washington, DC).

Interview

The interview process did not permit the use of a telephone - it was an In person process. Consequently, scheduling had to be adjusted in order to find a time that was mutually agreeable to both me and the interviewing panel. This allowed the agency to size me up visually, as well as to evaluate my ability to respond orally to questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a recent challenge and the steps you took to overcome it.   1 Answer

Negotiation

None - salaries are federal general schedule.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security (Washington, DC) in May 2014.

Interview

Pretty straight forward, asked questions about my experience, education, cultural background, research projects, aspirations, interview sold my interest in the job. Learned a lot about the agency especially since it was my first time of ever hearing about the agency