US Department of Justice Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Department of Justice Interview Questions

Updated Dec 12, 2017

2.7

HONORS PROGRAM Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Justice.

Interview

Two group interviews, each with a junior, midlevel, and senior lawyer. In one of their offices, so was a bit crowded. Each was 30 minutes long. Left time for me to ask questions at the end.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Justice.

Interview

it was on Skype, general questions. All of the basic things you expect to hear in an interview. Make sure you know about the attorney general and what the department is up to.

Student Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Justice (Washington, DC).

Interview

Pretty standard interview approximately 30 mins. Met with a trial attorney and a support staff member. Started by introducing one's self and then went right into a couple standard questions. Overall simple interview.

Interview Questions

• What is a situation where you had to step out of your comfort zone?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Justice (Washington, DC) in October 2017.

Interview

I applied via announcement on USAJOBS. They prompted me to email their contact with my federal resume, writing sample, unofficial transcript, and two professional references (I did not attach the optional cover letter). I received a response 3 days later offering a phone interview. I spoke with two employees on the team I was applying to for around 30-40 minutes. The interview was mostly informative, explaining the office and intern duties (be prepared to ask them a lot of questions and work yourself into the conversation). When the interview was completed they told me I would hear back within the week. They reached out to the two references I provided and emailed me a conditional offer one week after the interview. Overall, process was quick, casual, and positive. I have just begun my background investigation and upon successful completion I will be given an official offer and start date.

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at US Department of Justice.

Interview

Multiple interviews and a panel. Multiple interviews and a panel. Multiple interviews and a panel. Multiple interviews and a panel. Multiple interviews and a panel. Multiple interviews and a panel.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Justice.

Interview

Behavioral interview, going through my resume and asking questions. Why I wanted to work there over firm jobs and what I want to do in the future (how I see this internship playing into that)

Interview Questions

• Explain a time you struggled, how you deal with conflicting feedback, and what value you see in teamwork   Answer Question

AUSA Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at US Department of Justice.

Interview

I had an initial telephonic/ videoconference interview with panel, followed by in person interview with different panel . The latter interview lasted over an hour, and was primarily --
     though not exclusively -- aimed at fit with the office. The hiring process was lengthy.

Attorney Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at US Department of Justice.

Interview

most are hired through the Honors Program that is fair but rigorous process. some laterals are hired and that was my story. I was hired first on a detail from another federal agency and then hired permanently. that is still common.

Interview Questions

• What is your level of comfort with travel (all DC attorneys travel A LOT)   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Justice (Washington, DC).

Interview

Fairly standard interview. Met with two attorneys who asked about my previous work experience, why I wanted to work there, interest in the division itself, what skills I could specifically contribute, and my future long-term and short-term goals.

Interview Questions

• Walk us through your resume and tell us about your previous work experience that relates specifically to the work we do here.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Justice in March 2017.

Interview

Two rounds of interviews. The first a 30 min. phone interview with 10Qs (competency, behavioral, and some opinion) and time at the end for me to ask my own questions. The second was a ~5min Skype call with a few random questions to check personality/presentability. Employer was very transparent and provided a clear timeline and offer was made within a week.