US Department of Justice Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 16, 2018

2.7

Contractor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Terre Haute, IN

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Justice (Terre Haute, IN).

Interview

The interview was short and to the point focusing upon skills, knowledge, abilities and others of the job description. I was asked questions in review of my credentials, and review of my experience. I was asked why I wanted the contract. The background investigation took a long time with multiple interviews.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None, I bid and won.

Contrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in North Sarasota, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Justice (North Sarasota, FL) in November 2011.

Interview

The process is long to say the least. It is a place that you really need to know someone there to get and interview. They really dont care about your time or your need for a position. It takes an average of 3 or 6 months after you have been accepted to get even one of the lower end jobs.

Interview Questions

• There were no unexpected questions but they did do a full financal background and you have to clear any descripices in any of the 3 credit reporting agencies.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was none. It was here it is take it or leave it.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Justice (Washington, DC).

Interview

Applied on USA Jobs. I had the screening interview (with two supervisors) a month later, and a callback (with one senior attorney) a few weeks thereafter. After I accepted the offer, I went through an extensive two-month background check that included in-person interviews and a drug test. I actually started about five months after initially applying. Communication was sparse ( heard from someone maybe once a week) throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a difficult experience and how you handled yourself.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It's the government, so there wasn't much to negotiate beyond the initial grade level.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Justice (Washington, DC) in April 2010.

Interview

Met one time with HR, was offered the position after a very easy interview. I initially started in a data entry role which was very boring and menial. I worked to get involved with other projects and eventually because a paralegal after about 6 months. I had one informal lunch interview in order to get the paralegal position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation, salary was acceptable

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of Justice (Washington, DC) in December 2007.

Interview

You have to first take a test on USAJobs. I was told to interpret all of the questions as broadly as possible. (For example, if you had a lemonade stand as a kid, you can say you have owned a business.) Based on the results, your are assigned a rank compared to other candidates and may be called in for an interview. If you show up for the interview, you basically have the job. If the DOJ does not hire you, it also cannot hire anyone ranked below you. So unless you are at the bottom of the list, even if you give no preparation or thought to the interview, the hiring manager will probably not throw away what could be several other more-qualified candidates lower on the ranking by not giving you an offer.

Paralegal Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Justice.

Interview

I was offered an interview a few months after applying through USAjobs.gov. The interview was very pleasant and lasted about one and a half hours. My interviewer made me feel as if I was talking to a friend. At the end of the conversation, I was asked to provide references, and these references were contacted the day after my interview.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Justice (Washington, DC).

Interview

I received a screening call at first. A day later, I was called to schedule an interview, which I scheduled for later in the week. It was a panel interview.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Justice (San Francisco, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

The interview consisted of two panels. One panel with current paralegals and one with some attorneys / managers. The questions from the two panel overlapped often. I asked mostly about what experience I had with the positions job duties (document management, making binders). I was also asked some more general questions about how I manage stress and deal with tight deadlines.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with mundane tasks.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Justice (Washington, DC) in February 2013.

Interview

In-person interview, pretty straightforward, be prepared. Friendly, comfortable atmosphere. Pretty quick feedback, come ready to talk about yourself and your experiences and why you are interested in the job.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Justice in June 2013.

Interview

Online application very extensive be prepared to have detailed information going back at least ten years, one month latter, onsite interview, drug test (urinalysis test) , full physical, Citizenship Verification, age Verification can not be over age 37, unless age wavier(only given to recently discharge veterans)Start background paper work. One month later receive date to report to Federal Law Enforcement Training Centers (FLETC)

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you saw the Captain (head of correction services) giving retaliation ( beating an inmate) in responseTo a previous assault on another staff member.   1 Answer

Negotiation

NA