US Department of State English Language Fellow Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Department of State English Language Fellow Interview Questions

3 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in May 2014.

Interview

There was a lengthy online interview process including a personal statement and 3 personalized reference letters. Then this was followed by a Skype interview 4-5 months later. I received a few emails matching me with jobs before I was finally offered a position in late June. In total the hiring process took more than 7 months.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for US Department of State

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in July 2013.

Interview

The first step is to interview with a recruiter, usually via phone or Skype. You'll be put on a roster of candidates for a specific placement at which point you may be asked to interview with the embassy or consulate and/or local English Language Fellows or RELO (Regional English Language Officer) nearest the placement. In the recruiter interview, you'll be given situations and asked how you'd respond. There are also functional questions in which you give an example of your past responses to various situations.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a situation in which the host institution wants you to do something completely different from your project description?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of State (Seattle, WA) in May 2011.

Interview

The process starts with an interview and then you are put into a pool of job seekers according to regions setup by the government. There is an effort to accommodate a request but in the end you may be placed in an entirely different area than you requested. There is a great deal of paperwork. Once it is complete you are scheduled for an orientation held in Washington DC. The ticket is purchased and usually the job will begin about Sept. 1.

Interview Questions

• What is the most difficult part of teaching for you. What has been your greatest challenge living abroad.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I think that was the most difficult part because they are not very good at providing information on the financial consequences of your decision to work for them. Example, you are not aware that your tax status will be that of an contractor and you will be taxed at a much higher rate than if you work abroad for a foreign university.

You are NOT told that if you do not stay with your current assignment then you must reapply all over again. Basically, whatever you decide you stay two years OR you risk no job at all.