US Department of State FSO Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 22, 2017

3.5

5 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC).

Interview

Foreign service exam, essays, group and individual interviews, waiting list. This is a fixed, long and complex process - with less than 5% of original applicants making it off of the waiting list. The total time can be 12-24 months, and you can retry the exam if you fall out of the process. In the end, it is worth the wait, as the job is a unique lifestyle and opportunity.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for US Department of State

FSO Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

The hiring process is ardous and long. The written exam is meritorious, but it seems the oral exams are completely arbitrary! Once you are hired, then the security clearance could take a while. Finally, you get your medical clearance check, and it may turn out that you are not qualified for the job due to medical reasons.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

none

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in March 2013.

Interview

Completed written test, passed the personal narratives, and was invited to the full-day oral assessments (OA). OA was a true experience that cannot be replicated outside of the testing environment.

Interview Questions

• Typical behavior based interview questions for the SI portion. The Group Exercise was challenging due to the limited time and cramped spaces to work.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in January 2013.

Interview

It was too long. Once you pass through the selection stages and background, you go on a list.... which means that you may or may not get a job. If you fall off the list, it's a huge waste of time. It's also a major point to not interview at all.

Interview Questions

• What color are your socks? How did you get here this morning? Do you read different kinds of script?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in June 2011.

Interview

Lengthly oral exam that lasts a full day. Involves a group exercise, traditional interview, and a writing exercise. The exam itself is long, but some of the other people in my group were very strange. Stay off the internet when preparing--lots of crazies out there who seem very interesting in the FS hiring process.