US Department of State Foreign Affairs Officer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Department of State Foreign Affairs Officer Interview Questions

Updated Jan 26, 2017

Foreign Affairs Officer Interview

Interview

Most of the jobs in the gs 12-14 range are pre-cooked for people already. Still it is worth taking a chance but dont be too disappointed. Jobs can be pulled and readvertized until the right person gets it. But for about 30 to 40 percent of the jobs there is no internal candidate.

Interview Questions

• Please explain how x on your resume meets the goals of the job   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very difficult to negotiate - they have sops which determine what they will offer.

Other Interview Reviews for US Department of State

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC).

Interview

Interviewed through PMF program process. Interview was with three members of the hiring office and questions were a mix of testing technical knowledge and gauging my ability to fit in with the rest of the team. Questions were not particularly difficult, and it seemed like a premium was put on my fit with the "office culture".

Hiring was a PAIN. I was offered the job in June, and didn't start until the following February due to background investigation and a candidate with veteran's preference challenging my hiring. If you are trying to get hired for a job with a TS clearance, you may be waiting a long time. Process was also very opaque - they were really not able or willing to tell me anything other than "wait a bit longer, we will definitely bring you on, just be patient". To their credit, they did come through in the end.

Interview Questions

• Questions were all pretty expected - most had to do with my graduate research.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Non-negotiable (defined by PMF program)

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in January 2014.

Interview

The interview was very straightforward. My future employer asked about my interest in the position, and I asked a number of questions about the job. She was interested in finding a candidate who was not advancing her own agenda, and was looking for an excellent writer.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in September 2013.

Interview

Very detailed interview questions about your experience. It is best that you are very prepared for an interview at State. It is also best to use CV style than a one-page resume that gives limited information. State, as with most federal agencies, is used to 4+ page resumes detailing experience, and helps them determine if you are a good fit to be brought in for an interview. Interviews last typically between 30-45 minutes. I have learned that if an interview goes shorter than 30 minutes, they may not be interested in you. If it goes longer, that is a great sign of interest.

Interview Questions

• How do you operate in a team environment? Give an example of how you manage conflicts in a team environment.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not much negotiation. It's not like private sector where you negotiate a salary since salary falls within the GS scale and locality pay rate.

Foreign Affairs Officer Interview

Interview

Very based on who you know and on getting referred by an insider.

Interview Questions

• "Imagine you arrive at the office and learn of a major natural disaster, refugees are crossing international borders, people are dying, etc., etc. - what do you do?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation at all. It was a take it or leave it offer, with the HR person stating out loud that he has a stack of 500 other qualified people he can call next if I don't like the offered salary.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in November 2012.

Interview

I was a Presidential Management Fellowship Finalist and competed with other Finalists for this job. I was recruited directly by the agency.

Interview Questions

• Describe you experience planning events and working with difficult people.   1 Answer

Negotiation

As a PMF, the program is highly regulated and base salary is set for you (no wiggle room).

Foreign Affairs Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State in July 2009.

Interview

I came in through a fellowship program after grad school. Applied to fellowship online, then applied to State online. Had several phone interviews before was hired. Entire process took about a year. Security clearance took four months.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation - State pays all of its incoming fellows in my program the same amount.