US Department of State Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Department of State Intern Interview Questions

Updated Dec 24, 2016

2.4

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State (New York, NY).

Interview

Small phone interview, just to gauge fit and assess your thinking process when it comes to diplomacy. Most of the questions will come from the material you submit, the rest will be standard thinking questions to get you to think out loud.

Interview Questions

• Is there a time and place for "dirty hands" in politics?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for US Department of State

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State in December 2016.

Interview

My interviewer only asked me one question and spent the remainder of the call complimenting me on how impressive my qualifications were. The interview was much easier than I expected.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, your work experiences, coursework, and anything else that may be relevant.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

They contacted me asking when would be a good time for an interview over the next two days. They responded immediately and I heard back about the results for the position the following day.

Interview Questions

• Typical background questions, what can you bring to the position, what do you hope to get out of it etc.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

It was a fairly informal interview over the phone. They seemed more concerned with whether or not I would work 40 hours a week. They did not ask any tough knowledge questions to test my economic or political knowledge. The main thing to consider is the security clearance process can take a long time.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

Submitted my information through the call for general applications. Received a phone call several weeks later--it felt like they were convincing me to come work for them rather than the other way around (benefits to unpaid internships?)

Interview Questions

• Do you prefer to work in groups or individually?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in January 2016.

Interview

I applied for their student internship in October 2015 from USA Jobs. It was very straightforward. I had to upload transcripts, a personal statement and could add any additional attachments. My bureau did not interview its candidates (I think this varies among which one you apply for) so I got notified in January 2016 that I was a primary candidate. From there, you'll have to go through a security clearance, which takes 1-3 months.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for the particular bureau you applied for?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in December 2015.

Interview

One phone interview with my would-be supervisor. Questions about my work history, academic experiences, and why I wanted to work in that particular office, etc. Security process extensive, including FBI interview.

Interview Questions

• What experiences particularly qualify you for this specific office of the State Dept.?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at US Department of State (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

Applied through the website. Was contacted through email by several different departments within U.S. Department of State. Confused by how to balance these different interviews. Could not accept because of time and schedule constraints.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

After a long application process, I received a phone call from my future advisor and answered a number of questions about my interests and commitment. I then was required to undergo a security clearance background check. This involved a very long and detailed form, several phone interviews, and an in person interview. In the weeks leading up to the internship, I received a final notice of acceptance to the position and confirmations that I had received my security clearance.

Interview Questions

• Will you be able to commit full time to this position over the summer?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

The hiring process is all online so have a strong application because there was no interview. Your application can be reviewed by all agencies by Once selected, you must undergo a background check that will last around 3 months. You can only start and complete the internship if you pass the background check. Submit all documentation for the background check as quick as possible to ensure its completion before school starts.