US Department of State Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

US Department of State Interview Questions

Updated Feb 2, 2018

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

Interviews were multiple at the same time but done with different managers. Questions were all "tell me a time when x happened, what did you do, and what was the outcome." I didn't like those questions because they are too specific and dont allow you to speak broadly about yourself, you have to stay within the bounds of the question.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a specific time you had a conflict with a coworker, what did you do and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State (Iowa City, IA) in January 2018.

Interview

A spontaneous phone interview was conducted. They described the role that their office plays in the Department of State and asked me a series of questions regarding current international affairs and my own personal experiences that made me qualified for the position.

Interview Questions

• How do you think the US should go about the crisis on the Korean peninsula?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

Interview was more informal than I previously thought. They seemed to be looking for relevance in your interests and what they are doing. They were also looking for passion in responses.

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State (Cleveland, OH).

Interview

Applied online through USAjobs. Required me to make an account, write a personal statement and submit my resume. I submitted almost a year ahead of the start date and waited to find out. Recieved an email in December that I had been accepted and assigned to post.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in October 2017.

Interview

Brief, 30 minute interview on the phone with a friendly person who asked about why I was interested in the state department, why that specific office of the department, what I was looking to get out of the internship, etc. - very standard questions.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you took initiative in a leadership role?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

Filled out the online application through USA jobs. Received an email to set up an interview about a month later. The interview was very informal and friendly, they mostly asked about what I wanted out of the position and they were so kind and welcoming

Interview Questions

• What do you want to gain from this internship, what are your goals   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

I completed the application through USAJobs and was contacted for an interview a little more than a month after the application closed. I was contacted by a Human Resources officer to schedule an interview. The phone call was a conference call including myself, the HR officer, and representatives from different departments at the embassy. I was asked two general questions, then the representatives from the various departments told me about their work, and made reference to things I wrote on my application. Overall a simple interview, but it was nerve-racking due to the fact that it was a government position that's highly competitive.

Foreign Service Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at US Department of State (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

All day interview divided into three parts-- written problem solving exercise, personal group panel, and a mock negotiation with other applicants. Suggestions: (1.) Join a study group online. There are a ton of them and are super helpful. (2.) Be sure to have a written copy of your essay. You will be eliminated immediately if you do not have it. (3.) Smile. Be friendly and do not expect your interviewers to show any emotions toward you.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever disagreed with a policy that your regular duties mandated you enforce?   Answer Question

Medical Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

Applying through USA Jobs, interview focuses on validating answers on the application and how one might approach problems related to the job. There were structured scenarios related to the potential position, with a goal to connect prior experience to the job description, duties and responsibilities.

Interview Questions

• Prior experience in overseas environments and structured scenarios related to the potential job.   Answer Question

Passport Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

The interview was very simple and straightforward. They wanted to know more about me and asked me about my future plans. I applied around May 2017. Got offered an interview for June 25, 2017. Got my Offer on July 1,2017 and then started the clearance process in August. They asked me about my studies and how that related to what I was applying for. I also asked them about opportunities abroad and they told me they were available but competitive. Overall, the experience was pleasant and there was little waiting to hear back.