US Department of State Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Department of State Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2017

164 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

Filled out the online application through USA jobs. Received an email to set up an interview about a month later. The interview was very informal and friendly, they mostly asked about what I wanted out of the position and they were so kind and welcoming

Interview Questions

• What do you want to gain from this internship, what are your goals   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

I completed the application through USAJobs and was contacted for an interview a little more than a month after the application closed. I was contacted by a Human Resources officer to schedule an interview. The phone call was a conference call including myself, the HR officer, and representatives from different departments at the embassy. I was asked two general questions, then the representatives from the various departments told me about their work, and made reference to things I wrote on my application. Overall a simple interview, but it was nerve-racking due to the fact that it was a government position that's highly competitive.

Medical Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

Applying through USA Jobs, interview focuses on validating answers on the application and how one might approach problems related to the job. There were structured scenarios related to the potential position, with a goal to connect prior experience to the job description, duties and responsibilities.

Interview Questions

• Prior experience in overseas environments and structured scenarios related to the potential job.   Answer Question

Foreign Service Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at US Department of State (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

All day interview divided into three parts-- written problem solving exercise, personal group panel, and a mock negotiation with other applicants. Suggestions: (1.) Join a study group online. There are a ton of them and are super helpful. (2.) Be sure to have a written copy of your essay. You will be eliminated immediately if you do not have it. (3.) Smile. Be friendly and do not expect your interviewers to show any emotions toward you.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever disagreed with a policy that your regular duties mandated you enforce?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

Over the phone, there were three people on my call. They were all very friendly and mostly asked for more details about my resume and abilities and knowledge of the region in which I would be working

Deputy Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

I submitted my application, the Office of Human Resources reviewed my application materials. Once they determined I was qualified for the position, the hiring official arranged an in-person interview, which lasted about an hour

Interview Questions

• What kind of employee would not want to work for you   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online through USA Jobs to a general posting for internships. I received requests for phone interviews from three offices. The interviews were pretty straight forward. Each interviewer described what work their office does and then asked how my work experience and educational background would help me in that position.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

Applied online at USA Jobs. Didn't hear back for a while. Was randomly called by hiring manager to phone interview with no preparation. Was asked a few questions and described what their office does specifically.

Interview Questions

• What are some current economic policies that you are following, describe at time when you multi-tasked the best, what is your understanding of the various geographical regions.   Answer Question

FSO Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC).

Interview

Foreign service exam, essays, group and individual interviews, waiting list. This is a fixed, long and complex process - with less than 5% of original applicants making it off of the waiting list. The total time can be 12-24 months, and you can retry the exam if you fall out of the process. In the end, it is worth the wait, as the job is a unique lifestyle and opportunity.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State (New York, NY).

Interview

Small phone interview, just to gauge fit and assess your thinking process when it comes to diplomacy. Most of the questions will come from the material you submit, the rest will be standard thinking questions to get you to think out loud.

Interview Questions

• Is there a time and place for "dirty hands" in politics?   Answer Question