US Department of State Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Department of State Interview Questions

Updated Sep 11, 2017

Warehouse and Transportation Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State (Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)) in August 2013.

Interview

Questions were clear, interview went smooth and was brief. Please note that the actual job interview might have been brief. However, the whole process was long and tedious due to the background check.

Interview Questions

• Common questions such as : Why would you like to work for the State Department, are you willing to travel?, have you done this kind of work before?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Fairly straightforward and included typical questions like tell me more about your background, why are you interested in this internship position, are you able to find work when there isn't much supervision, etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell me more about X experience (listed on my resume). What has been the most interesting paper you've written on X issue (mentioned in my personal statement as I was applying to be a Political Intern)?   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State in December 2016.

Interview

After submitting an application through USAJOBS in the fall, I was contacted by the Bureau Intern Coordinator in December for a phone interview. The conversation lasted about an hour, and I was offered the position at the very end.

Interview Questions

• How does this bureau/office fit into your overall career goals?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State in December 2015.

Interview

I scheduled a phone interview and it ended up being more of an informational interview. We talked about the positions available and it helped them to get a sense of where I might work best so they could place me. They also told me more about the longer process and information I would have to fill out.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself and your future interests/plans.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied online, then two months later I got invited for a phone interview. Next, the security clearance process began. Once that was completed, I was able to start my internship in October 2016 in Washington, D.C.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

Filled out the online application through USA jobs. Received an email to set up an interview about a month later. The interview was very informal and friendly, they mostly asked about what I wanted out of the position and they were so kind and welcoming

Interview Questions

• What do you want to gain from this internship, what are your goals   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

I completed the application through USAJobs and was contacted for an interview a little more than a month after the application closed. I was contacted by a Human Resources officer to schedule an interview. The phone call was a conference call including myself, the HR officer, and representatives from different departments at the embassy. I was asked two general questions, then the representatives from the various departments told me about their work, and made reference to things I wrote on my application. Overall a simple interview, but it was nerve-racking due to the fact that it was a government position that's highly competitive.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online through USA Jobs to a general posting for internships. I received requests for phone interviews from three offices. The interviews were pretty straight forward. Each interviewer described what work their office does and then asked how my work experience and educational background would help me in that position.

FSO Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in January 2013.

Interview

It was too long. Once you pass through the selection stages and background, you go on a list.... which means that you may or may not get a job. If you fall off the list, it's a huge waste of time. It's also a major point to not interview at all.

Interview Questions

• What color are your socks? How did you get here this morning? Do you read different kinds of script?   1 Answer

Foreign Service Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in October 2013.

Interview

Written and oral exams will be used to determine an applicants qualifications for the U.S. Foreign Service. Applicants take the FSOT, submit a personal narrative, and complete the oral assessment.

Interview Questions

• Essentially, the the exams gauge your intellectually capabilities, as well as your ability to express yourself orally and work well in groups to achieve a common goal.   Answer Question