US Department of State Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Department of State Interview Questions

Updated Feb 21, 2017

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

Applied online at USA Jobs. Didn't hear back for a while. Was randomly called by hiring manager to phone interview with no preparation. Was asked a few questions and described what their office does specifically.

Interview Questions

• What are some current economic policies that you are following, describe at time when you multi-tasked the best, what is your understanding of the various geographical regions.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Lengthy security clearance process takes a few months. All contact with embassy staff and supervisors was done via email. Language abilities are assessed depending on post, likely via a phone call. Prior experience or knowledge of post is not necessary.

Student Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State in December 2015.

Interview

Online application led to a phone interview that lasted around 20 minutes. The questions were fair and not too tricky if you had background expertise on the role you're applying for. The end of the interview was for me to ask questions

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process was welcoming. The interviewers were very polite and asked fair questions as it related to the job announcement. It made it very easy to answer the questions and the environment was very calm. The questions were focused on my previous work experience and how well I was able to manage individual schedules.

Foreign Affairs Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in September 2013.

Interview

Very detailed interview questions about your experience. It is best that you are very prepared for an interview at State. It is also best to use CV style than a one-page resume that gives limited information. State, as with most federal agencies, is used to 4+ page resumes detailing experience, and helps them determine if you are a good fit to be brought in for an interview. Interviews last typically between 30-45 minutes. I have learned that if an interview goes shorter than 30 minutes, they may not be interested in you. If it goes longer, that is a great sign of interest.

Interview Questions

• How do you operate in a team environment? Give an example of how you manage conflicts in a team environment.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not much negotiation. It's not like private sector where you negotiate a salary since salary falls within the GS scale and locality pay rate.

FSO Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC).

Interview

Foreign service exam, essays, group and individual interviews, waiting list. This is a fixed, long and complex process - with less than 5% of original applicants making it off of the waiting list. The total time can be 12-24 months, and you can retry the exam if you fall out of the process. In the end, it is worth the wait, as the job is a unique lifestyle and opportunity.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in January 2013.

Interview

The entire interview process was very long. It lasted almost a full eight hours. In addition to the interview and its exercises, the day was broken up into periods of hurry up and wait time.

Interview Questions

• Signed a non-disclosure re the interview questions.   1 Answer

Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in November 2016.

Interview

Conversation with three branch chiefs (it was for two different positions at once). It was on site in the manager's office. Overall, it went well the branch chiefs were cordial and was more conversational than like an interview.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

They contacted me asking when would be a good time for an interview over the next two days. They responded immediately and I heard back about the results for the position the following day.

Interview Questions

• Typical background questions, what can you bring to the position, what do you hope to get out of it etc.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State in December 2016.

Interview

My interviewer only asked me one question and spent the remainder of the call complimenting me on how impressive my qualifications were. The interview was much easier than I expected.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, your work experiences, coursework, and anything else that may be relevant.   Answer Question