US Department of State Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Department of State Interview Questions

Updated Dec 13, 2017

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online through USA Jobs to a general posting for internships. I received requests for phone interviews from three offices. The interviews were pretty straight forward. Each interviewer described what work their office does and then asked how my work experience and educational background would help me in that position.

Consular Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

It was a very long day comprised of a writing sample, FSOT knowledge test, and interview (13 dimensions). The most difficult part was the oral assessment before the panel. Make sure you can relate your work and education experience to the 13 dimensions. The panel was very polite and professional.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

Applied online at USA Jobs. Didn't hear back for a while. Was randomly called by hiring manager to phone interview with no preparation. Was asked a few questions and described what their office does specifically.

Interview Questions

• What are some current economic policies that you are following, describe at time when you multi-tasked the best, what is your understanding of the various geographical regions.   Answer Question

FSO Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC).

Interview

Foreign service exam, essays, group and individual interviews, waiting list. This is a fixed, long and complex process - with less than 5% of original applicants making it off of the waiting list. The total time can be 12-24 months, and you can retry the exam if you fall out of the process. In the end, it is worth the wait, as the job is a unique lifestyle and opportunity.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State (New York, NY).

Interview

Small phone interview, just to gauge fit and assess your thinking process when it comes to diplomacy. Most of the questions will come from the material you submit, the rest will be standard thinking questions to get you to think out loud.

Interview Questions

• Is there a time and place for "dirty hands" in politics?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State in December 2016.

Interview

My interviewer only asked me one question and spent the remainder of the call complimenting me on how impressive my qualifications were. The interview was much easier than I expected.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, your work experiences, coursework, and anything else that may be relevant.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

They contacted me asking when would be a good time for an interview over the next two days. They responded immediately and I heard back about the results for the position the following day.

Interview Questions

• Typical background questions, what can you bring to the position, what do you hope to get out of it etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied March 2017 on USA Jobs website . Checked USA jobs for application update and it said referred. A few weeks later got a phone call to interview. Interview just discussed resume and intentions for internship.

Interview Questions

• Is there room for "dirty hands" in the State Department   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State in December 2016.

Interview

It was a phone interview that lasted about twenty minutes with two team members in the office. It was very informative as well and half of it was spent hearing about the position and half of it was me answering their questions.

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State in December 2016.

Interview

After submitting an application through USAJOBS in the fall, I was contacted by the Bureau Intern Coordinator in December for a phone interview. The conversation lasted about an hour, and I was offered the position at the very end.

Interview Questions

• How does this bureau/office fit into your overall career goals?   Answer Question