US Department of State Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Department of State Interview Questions

Updated Apr 7, 2017

Passport Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State (New York, NY).

Interview

I did my interview over the phone. I actually turned it down several times in different location before I eventually accepted it. It was the same generic questions. I had to travel and turn in my application by hand at the agency that eventually hired me.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to work with others to solve a problem...or something like that...   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

It was a fairly informal interview over the phone. They seemed more concerned with whether or not I would work 40 hours a week. They did not ask any tough knowledge questions to test my economic or political knowledge. The main thing to consider is the security clearance process can take a long time.

Employment Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC).

Interview

I Applied online and had an interview date after four weeks. I was contacted by email. They were flexible about the date, and they even suggested if I wanted to be interviewed on the phone, since I was living outside DC area. The overall experience was smooth and the interviewers were nice.

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC).

Interview

Met with the director and the program manager for about an hour. I was asked if I had an existing security clearance and if so what level. I was told that I would have to go through another security screening.

Diplomatic Security Special Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State (Chicago, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

Interview was fair and detailed. Two person panel asked about my personal and work experience. There were detailed questions about my experience in college. The interviewers did not emphasize working professionals. They were more concerned with college experience (participated in sports, classes, etc)

Interior Architectural Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rosslyn, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of State (Rosslyn, VA) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview was very relaxed and informal. I met with the director, an architect and Sr. interior designer. The whole process lasted about a half hour and was very conversational.

Interview Questions

• One of the main questions was if I was comfortable traveling about 25% of the time through-out the year to foreign countries.   1 Answer

INL: Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied online in May and heard back in late August. Received 4 emails from various offices within STATE asking for interviews that very day or the next. Interview was easy going with every office and it seemed more like a formality than anything else. If you get called for an interview you are a finalist, so chances are the office wants you. Be prepared to answer the question "Why did you pick this Bureau?"

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

Submitted my information through the call for general applications. Received a phone call several weeks later--it felt like they were convincing me to come work for them rather than the other way around (benefits to unpaid internships?)

Interview Questions

• Do you prefer to work in groups or individually?   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Lengthy security clearance process takes a few months. All contact with embassy staff and supervisors was done via email. Language abilities are assessed depending on post, likely via a phone call. Prior experience or knowledge of post is not necessary.

Passport Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at US Department of State (Portsmouth, NH) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied at a hiring fair and was contacted for an interview the same week via phone. Following the phone interview, I was asked to come in for a panel interview the next week. The questions were mostly all hypothetical. They called on a lot of my experience from my resume and wanted at least one real-life example for each question asked.

See What US Department of State Employees Are Saying

Star Star Star Star Star   Current Foreign Affairs Officer in Washington, DC

Pros: “The Department is considerably bottom-middle heavy which becomes a great career opportunity for many young urban professionals residing in the DC Metropolitan area who are starting their...”“The Department is considerably bottom-middle heavy which becomes a great career opportunity for many young urban professionals residing in the DC Metropolitan area who are starting their careers. Some of the nation's highest international studies schools, NGOs, and Think Tanks surrounds the Foggy Bottom vicinity, making it easier to engage on many issues that impact the work of the Department. State offers several internship, fellowship and contractor positions and presents a great entry level opportunity for individuals starting out, and who want a solid career in foreign affairs. As I am coming up on 8 years working at State, you find many people starting out at a low GS grade level, but with opportunity to get promoted each year with good performance, and rotational programs to work on other projects and a chance to work overseas with Foreign Service Officers. The Department brings in approximately 3,000 student interns a year from all over the world, and a good portion of them become full-time permanent federal employees upon completing their academic studies. You really cannot ask for a better public sector opportunity with career mobility and job satisfaction!” – Full Review