US Department of State Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Department of State Interview Questions

Updated Jun 17, 2017

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Lengthy security clearance process takes a few months. All contact with embassy staff and supervisors was done via email. Language abilities are assessed depending on post, likely via a phone call. Prior experience or knowledge of post is not necessary.

Passport Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at US Department of State (Portsmouth, NH) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied at a hiring fair and was contacted for an interview the same week via phone. Following the phone interview, I was asked to come in for a panel interview the next week. The questions were mostly all hypothetical. They called on a lot of my experience from my resume and wanted at least one real-life example for each question asked.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in January 2016.

Interview

I applied for their student internship in October 2015 from USA Jobs. It was very straightforward. I had to upload transcripts, a personal statement and could add any additional attachments. My bureau did not interview its candidates (I think this varies among which one you apply for) so I got notified in January 2016 that I was a primary candidate. From there, you'll have to go through a security clearance, which takes 1-3 months.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for the particular bureau you applied for?   1 Answer

SummerDC Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

I went through one phone interview with an employee in the Bureau of East Asian and Pacific Affairs. He asked me a few behavioral questions and informed me I was 1 of 4 being considered. I did not receive an offer, but was "wait listed". I acquired a security clearance but never received a final call stating I had not received the offer.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in December 2015.

Interview

One phone interview with my would-be supervisor. Questions about my work history, academic experiences, and why I wanted to work in that particular office, etc. Security process extensive, including FBI interview.

Interview Questions

• What experiences particularly qualify you for this specific office of the State Dept.?   Answer Question

Facility Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC).

Interview

You are called to Washington, which is on your dime. There are two interviewers who take turns asking job specific questions and general ones. After which you have to write an essay.chosen from a list of subjects related to the job you are applying for. After all of this you are given a score and told if you made it. If you succeed, in processing including fingerprinting for the background check is initiated.

Interview Questions

• Can not reveal interview questions, must sign confidentiality agreement.   Answer Question

Tech Support Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

Written Test. Interviewed by 2 technical people. Then interviewed by two technical people and HR representative. They were reasonable. I got the feeling that they were checking what I had written on my application. (Liars never prosper....!)

Interview Questions

• Technical questions that were based on experience that I had submitted in application form.   1 Answer

Management Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

Submitted application. Got called in for an interview. A week later was offered the position. The screen for a clearance takes a minimum of six months if you never had one.

Interview Questions

• Very easy. They ask a lot of dumb questions. A lot of team building questions. They don't even do team building.   Answer Question

Interview

The interview process is time consuming and is considered by many to be quite difficult. The difficulty mostly comes from the reality that you cannot easily prepare for it. Be sure you're up to speed on a variety of world events. Also, evaluate your responses before you give them...think!

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my views of the current situation with North Korea.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at US Department of State (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

Applied through the website. Was contacted through email by several different departments within U.S. Department of State. Confused by how to balance these different interviews. Could not accept because of time and schedule constraints.

Interview Questions

See What US Department of State Employees Are Saying

Star Star Star Star Star   Current Foreign Affairs Officer in Washington, DC

Pros: “The Department is considerably bottom-middle heavy which becomes a great career opportunity for many young urban professionals residing in the DC Metropolitan area who are starting their...”“The Department is considerably bottom-middle heavy which becomes a great career opportunity for many young urban professionals residing in the DC Metropolitan area who are starting their careers. Some of the nation's highest international studies schools, NGOs, and Think Tanks surrounds the Foggy Bottom vicinity, making it easier to engage on many issues that impact the work of the Department. State offers several internship, fellowship and contractor positions and presents a great entry level opportunity for individuals starting out, and who want a solid career in foreign affairs. As I am coming up on 8 years working at State, you find many people starting out at a low GS grade level, but with opportunity to get promoted each year with good performance, and rotational programs to work on other projects and a chance to work overseas with Foreign Service Officers. The Department brings in approximately 3,000 student interns a year from all over the world, and a good portion of them become full-time permanent federal employees upon completing their academic studies. You really cannot ask for a better public sector opportunity with career mobility and job satisfaction!” – Full Review