US Department of State Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Department of State Interview Questions

Updated Jul 26, 2017

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State in December 2014.

Interview

The whole interview process was simple and done over e-mail. I was contacted by a staffer in the office and completed an over the computer interview. The most complicated part of the process was getting the background check and security clearance, which was difficult because of how long it took.

Interview Questions

• When would you be able to start? Can you commit to the full 10 weeks?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

6+ months, no interview. Contingent offer based on passing security clearance. Started within a month of security clearance.

Some colleagues that were interviewed had to go through two rounds with an interview panel.

Negotiation

No negotiation, federal. Except you can negotiate the starting grade. I didn't have to.

Technical Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied online I think it may have been Craigslist, got a call within a week and went in for an interview within 2 days. They offered me the job later that day.

Interview Questions

• They just went over my resume with me, asked me how familiar I was with things that weren't on my resume and gave me a tour of the office and studio.   Answer Question

Personal Services Contractor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rosslyn, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State (Rosslyn, VA) in November 2014.

Interview

Two separate phone interviews with direct report supervisor and later with direct report supervisor and director. No physical interview was required. Position requires extensive experience and qualification in a highly technical and specialized skill set.

Interview Questions

• "Are you willing and able to take this position?" Position involves extensive time away from home in austere environments with a relatively high degree of personal risk.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Interview

Three interviews. They were fairly easy asking basic questions about the department and my knowledge of international affairs. I found them to be very welcoming and it seemed they wanted to choose me but were being very formal.

Negotiation

Its an internship so....

Social Media Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in September 2014.

Interview

They can only ask the same questions to everyone. To show the interview is fair. You can study them online. Theory and case study can help. Show them you really know although you may not have done that before. The whole process is very slow. From the time you submit the application, to interview, then u got selected, background check... It can take half a year. Be patient.

Interview Questions

• It's mostly abt experience and skills. Not super difficult.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

Apply via USAJobs; it's fairly specific, but beyond the brochure it isn't necessarily clear what the position will entail. I had a special website I was able to look at, which was a gigantic help, but that is far from true for other interns, especially in more obscure offices. The interview was fairly straightforward.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State in August 2014.

Interview

Applied through USAjobs and months later I received an email requesting a phone interview. It lasted about 20 minutes and was quite informal and easygoing. The interviewer was an FSO and eventually my supervisor for the internship. Most of the questions revolved around being available full-time, interest in the country, and security clearance.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in August 2014.

Interview

Really short interview. They basically called to tell me that I got the internship; it was just a formality. It appears that they make the selections irrespective of the interview. However, I have heard of other bureaus within State testing their interviewees on their knowledge of certain skills.

FSO Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

The hiring process is ardous and long. The written exam is meritorious, but it seems the oral exams are completely arbitrary! Once you are hired, then the security clearance could take a while. Finally, you get your medical clearance check, and it may turn out that you are not qualified for the job due to medical reasons.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

none