US Department of State Special Agent Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Department of State Special Agent Interview Questions

4.7

3 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Special Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a year or more. I interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

a series of tests and interviews to assess skills, personality and suitability.

Negotiation

this is a govenrment job, no negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for US Department of State

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State (Arlington, VA) in July 2013.

Interview

The interview process was very interesting. I had to travel to Washington DC on my own dime, find my own lodging, etc. The interview itself consisted of 4 phases that take about 3-4 hours to complete. I cannot go into detail (they make you sign a paper saying that you cannot disclose this type of information) but I can say that the interview was pretty free flowing. By that, I mean that there was little time of rest in between phases. You will have to explain your experience, verbally and on paper, you will get cross checked, you will be asked about international relations, foreign policy and current events, and you will be asked about security matters. The hardest part, beside the interview itself is the written test that you have to complete. You have 45 minutes to complete a 5 paragraph essay based on the information that the provide you with. It has to be official and relevant to the scenario that's been given to you. Written competency has to be sharp because of the time limit. Overall, it was a great experience.

Interview Questions

• I cannot disclose that information, but I can say that your knowledge of government operations, functions and international relations as well as security operations, and integrating all of these will be required.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was a conditional offer of employment based on my background investigation. If everything clears, then you get put on a waiting list called the register with a ranking, based on that ranking you will get assigned to a Special Agent class.

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State (Phoenix, AZ) in December 2011.

Interview

Three-tiered process including writing samples, objective testing and face-to-face interviews. No requirement for prior security experience. Overseas travel and life experience very beneficial for panel interview. Heavy focus on writing ability - learn the basics (sentence/paragraph structure, spelling, punctuation). Topic sentences supported throughout the paragraph. Know the basics of the larger State Department structure prior to the interview!

Interview Questions

• Signed a non-disclosure agreement regarding specific interview questions!   1 Answer