US Department of State Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 6, 2017

3.1

FSO Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC).

Interview

Foreign service exam, essays, group and individual interviews, waiting list. This is a fixed, long and complex process - with less than 5% of original applicants making it off of the waiting list. The total time can be 12-24 months, and you can retry the exam if you fall out of the process. In the end, it is worth the wait, as the job is a unique lifestyle and opportunity.

Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in November 2016.

Interview

Conversation with three branch chiefs (it was for two different positions at once). It was on site in the manager's office. Overall, it went well the branch chiefs were cordial and was more conversational than like an interview.

Employment Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC).

Interview

I Applied online and had an interview date after four weeks. I was contacted by email. They were flexible about the date, and they even suggested if I wanted to be interviewed on the phone, since I was living outside DC area. The overall experience was smooth and the interviewers were nice.

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC).

Interview

Met with the director and the program manager for about an hour. I was asked if I had an existing security clearance and if so what level. I was told that I would have to go through another security screening.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in January 2016.

Interview

I applied for their student internship in October 2015 from USA Jobs. It was very straightforward. I had to upload transcripts, a personal statement and could add any additional attachments. My bureau did not interview its candidates (I think this varies among which one you apply for) so I got notified in January 2016 that I was a primary candidate. From there, you'll have to go through a security clearance, which takes 1-3 months.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for the particular bureau you applied for?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in December 2015.

Interview

One phone interview with my would-be supervisor. Questions about my work history, academic experiences, and why I wanted to work in that particular office, etc. Security process extensive, including FBI interview.

Interview Questions

• What experiences particularly qualify you for this specific office of the State Dept.?   Answer Question

Facility Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC).

Interview

You are called to Washington, which is on your dime. There are two interviewers who take turns asking job specific questions and general ones. After which you have to write an essay.chosen from a list of subjects related to the job you are applying for. After all of this you are given a score and told if you made it. If you succeed, in processing including fingerprinting for the background check is initiated.

Interview Questions

• Can not reveal interview questions, must sign confidentiality agreement.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process was welcoming. The interviewers were very polite and asked fair questions as it related to the job announcement. It made it very easy to answer the questions and the environment was very calm. The questions were focused on my previous work experience and how well I was able to manage individual schedules.

Foreign Service Health Practitioner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

Interview consisted of a 1-2 page essay, a 60 point questionaire. After you are done with that you go on to the oral assessment lasting about 2-3 hours. Interviewers were friendly and made it comfortable yet formal. Many of the interview questions required alot of though and they are designed to assess your capability to problem solve, communicate in an effective manner and how knowledgeable you are in your field. Fairly pleasant experience.

Technical Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied online I think it may have been Craigslist, got a call within a week and went in for an interview within 2 days. They offered me the job later that day.

Interview Questions

• They just went over my resume with me, asked me how familiar I was with things that weren't on my resume and gave me a tour of the office and studio.   Answer Question