US Department of Transportation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at US Department of Transportation

2.5

Construction Inspector Interview

Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Transportation (Syracuse, NY) in March 2012.

Interview

as any job interview somebody from the department call me to set up a schedule for interview, after the finding the right date I tried to learn more about the department and what this organization about and prepared my self for the day of my interview. In the day of my interview I dressed nicely and got there about 20 minutes before schedule time. After interview and in the same day I sent the thank you letter to the people who interviewed me. Then after 3 weeks somebody from human resources called me to send them some paper work for forther investigation and then I received a call to letting me know if I still intersted for the position.

Policy Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of Transportation (Washington, DC) in March 2014.

Interview

They asked a few quick questions to make sure that we were fairly competent, and then we went forward with the hiring process. I'm not sure if it was the standard way that they went about hiring interns, but it didn't seem like an incredibly challenging bar to get over.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with international transportation policy?   Answer Question

Interviewee Interview

Interview

I had a phone interview after applying through a family friend. I was asked about my resume and then availability and my plans for the future. I had another phone interview a month later with them in which I accepted the position and enjoyed my experience

Budget Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Transportation (New York, NY) in January 2008.

Interview

The hiring process was very long. I interviewed two different times. It was a panel interview and then a one-on-one. Asked all about the budget process.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate.

Attorney Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Transportation (Washington, DC) in December 2015.

Interview

Three person interview. Basic questions about experience and why you wanted to work there. Asked to explain how you conduct yourself in a professional environment. First job out of law school so they asked me to talk about what i liked and did not like about the law school process. They are big on asking questions about things you may not understand or want to know more about.

Interview Questions

• Explain what was the most challenging aspect of your last job, and why it was challenging?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No, it was my first job out of law school so I didnt have too much bargaining power

Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Transportation (Washington, DC) in July 2016.

Interview

Very easy, personable and really wanted to make sure it was a good fit. Male top heavy but it seems like there is room for growth. The panel interview was pretty high tech, with one guy actually Facetiming out of Seattle Washington. They asked questions about contributions to the agency I currently work for.

Safety Defects Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of Transportation (Washington, DC) in December 2009.

Interview

1:1 Couple hours. much of behavioral questions and couple technical questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation.
    salary was fixed

Engineering Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Transportation (Providence, RI) in April 2010.

Interview

Intensive Review Board with multiple call back interviews from different groups within organization. However upon hire, I worked with others in same hiring group that needed training to use email.

Interview Questions

• 3rd Interview - I was offered if I had any questions. I questioned the inspection process for materials.This was head-line news as an entire section of a building at the Airport had collapsed.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They do not pay well. there is no negotiation. It is a Union negotiated salary.

Economist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Transportation (Cambridge, MA) in January 2009.

Interview

Quick response from my online submission. Personal phone interview that focused on fit and basic resume walk through, followed by another more formal application to the DC headquarters. Very pleasant manager for the phone interview and no response to inform me of negative decision. Their stated hiring preference was on hiring long-term "lifer" employees to replace aging workforce.

Writer/Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Transportation (Washington, DC) in November 2012.

Interview

Managers should refrain from asking employees personal questions during an interview. Questions should be structured based on knowledge, skills, abilities, and job description. Allow enough time for the interview so that it doesn't feel rushed. If there's a test involved, make sure that everything has been setup before hand and not during the interview or at the last minute.

Negotiation

The negotiation was through a contracting agency.