US Department of Transportation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.5

22 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Transportation (Washington, DC) in July 2016.

Interview

Very easy, personable and really wanted to make sure it was a good fit. Male top heavy but it seems like there is room for growth. The panel interview was pretty high tech, with one guy actually Facetiming out of Seattle Washington. They asked questions about contributions to the agency I currently work for.

Program Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Transportation.

Interview

I applied for the position in December and was called for an interview late January. The first interview took place in early February and was pretty easy. It was a panel style interview that consisted of mainly behavioral questions and a walk through my resume. The interviewers did a great job explaining the agency and the position. Two days after the first interview I was called for a follow up interview with the Director of the division I would be working in, this was fairly short (about 10mins) I think she just wanted to see my personality and assess whether or not I would be a good fit. About 3 weeks later I was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• Mainly behavioral/situational questions like, "Tell me about a time when you had to work on projects with multiple deadlines"   Answer Question

Interviewee Interview

Interview

I had a phone interview after applying through a family friend. I was asked about my resume and then availability and my plans for the future. I had another phone interview a month later with them in which I accepted the position and enjoyed my experience

Attorney Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Transportation (Washington, DC) in December 2015.

Interview

Three person interview. Basic questions about experience and why you wanted to work there. Asked to explain how you conduct yourself in a professional environment. First job out of law school so they asked me to talk about what i liked and did not like about the law school process. They are big on asking questions about things you may not understand or want to know more about.

Interview Questions

• Explain what was the most challenging aspect of your last job, and why it was challenging?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No, it was my first job out of law school so I didnt have too much bargaining power

Pathways Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Transportation in March 2015.

Interview

After being contacted for an phone interview, a date and time were set. They called promptly when they said they would. I was put on a conference call with three current employees. Several questions were asked and then the organization and its goals were explained to me. All three interviews were extremely welcoming and seemed very excited to speak with me. The atmosphere was fairly laid back and fun. It was an enjoyable and informative interview

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you worked on a team and someone was not performing to the expected level. What steps did you take to remedy the situation? Were you successful?   Answer Question

Transportation Security Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Transportation (Baltimore, MD) in March 2015.

Interview

interview and several tests. pretty basic questions. Not really allowed to disclose anymore than that. This is a really good job if you are in school or have another job.

Program Analyst (Communications) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Transportation (Washington, DC) in February 2015.

Interview

It was a 2 person panel. They were naive about the social media space but were thorough in their interview. Two women took turns asking questions. Only 4 candidates were interviewed. They sent a note at the end of the process informing me that they had selected another candidate.

Data Analyst Interview

Application

Interview

Very informal phone interview process that included chatting over the phone about my technical skills as well as how I found out about the internship and why I wanted to pursue this internship even though my major didn't match the job description.

Correspondence Management Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Transportation (Washington, DC) in February 2014.

Interview

I applied for this job in January and received email confirmation mid-January that I was a potential match. Early February, I received a one panel-style interview with 3 supervisors and HR liaison. I was asked questions on my experience and work style (level of initiative, especially) with specific examples and was told what kind of work I would be doing if I received the job. Each member on the panel took turns asking questions and they were friendly (though I could tell they had work to do elsewhere). About a month later, with no word back, I emailed the HR Liaison to ask about my application and she said I was in the security review/background check process. I went to do my fingerprints in early March. I got word that I was hired early April and came for orientation mid-April. Although I was told I would get an offer letter, I had to ask HR in person during orientation for a copy of it. I did not receive an actual list of tasks that encompass my position until late May.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation since this is a federal job with a specified GS level (at Tier 1). This job was advertised and confirmed during interview as a position with limited to no advancement opportunities.

Program Analyst Interview

Interview

Hiring process is usually through the US government computer jobsite. It's a fairly lengthy application process... but be as specific as you can regarding experience. Interviews vary from department to department usually with an office manager and one of his assistants. The people are friendly and there are no "trick" questions.

Interview Questions

• Questions are general "interview" questions such as...What are your strengths/weaknesses, Once you're interviewed the decision to hire is usually in about a month or less.   Answer Question