US Department of Transportation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Department of Transportation Interview Questions

2.5

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Transportation in October 2010.

Interview

Panel of three. Several open questions similar to what was in the job description opening. All took notes. They gave a written test at the end of the interview and had 30 minutes to provide economic advice on a regulatory scenario. Got a call a few weeks after and accepted. They were very flexible on starting date.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not much - entry salary fixed by regulation.

Attorney Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Transportation (Washington, DC) in December 2015.

Interview

Three person interview. Basic questions about experience and why you wanted to work there. Asked to explain how you conduct yourself in a professional environment. First job out of law school so they asked me to talk about what i liked and did not like about the law school process. They are big on asking questions about things you may not understand or want to know more about.

Interview Questions

• Explain what was the most challenging aspect of your last job, and why it was challenging?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No, it was my first job out of law school so I didnt have too much bargaining power

Regional IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Transportation (Vancouver, WA) in February 2013.

Interview

Submitted application on USA Jobs. Then phone panel interview with a 4 person panel. After that I had a background check done. Once the background check was done I was offered the job

Interview Questions

• What is your troubleshooting steps ?
      How is your customer service skills ?   Answer Question
    • What is your experience with remote users   Answer Question

Program Analyst (Communications) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Transportation (Washington, DC) in February 2015.

Interview

It was a 2 person panel. They were naive about the social media space but were thorough in their interview. Two women took turns asking questions. Only 4 candidates were interviewed. They sent a note at the end of the process informing me that they had selected another candidate.

Writer/Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Transportation (Washington, DC) in November 2012.

Interview

Managers should refrain from asking employees personal questions during an interview. Questions should be structured based on knowledge, skills, abilities, and job description. Allow enough time for the interview so that it doesn't feel rushed. If there's a test involved, make sure that everything has been setup before hand and not during the interview or at the last minute.

Negotiation

The negotiation was through a contracting agency.

Correspondence Management Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Transportation (Washington, DC) in February 2014.

Interview

I applied for this job in January and received email confirmation mid-January that I was a potential match. Early February, I received a one panel-style interview with 3 supervisors and HR liaison. I was asked questions on my experience and work style (level of initiative, especially) with specific examples and was told what kind of work I would be doing if I received the job. Each member on the panel took turns asking questions and they were friendly (though I could tell they had work to do elsewhere). About a month later, with no word back, I emailed the HR Liaison to ask about my application and she said I was in the security review/background check process. I went to do my fingerprints in early March. I got word that I was hired early April and came for orientation mid-April. Although I was told I would get an offer letter, I had to ask HR in person during orientation for a copy of it. I did not receive an actual list of tasks that encompass my position until late May.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation since this is a federal job with a specified GS level (at Tier 1). This job was advertised and confirmed during interview as a position with limited to no advancement opportunities.

Engineering Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Transportation (Providence, RI) in April 2010.

Interview

Intensive Review Board with multiple call back interviews from different groups within organization. However upon hire, I worked with others in same hiring group that needed training to use email.

Interview Questions

• 3rd Interview - I was offered if I had any questions. I questioned the inspection process for materials.This was head-line news as an entire section of a building at the Airport had collapsed.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They do not pay well. there is no negotiation. It is a Union negotiated salary.

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Transportation (Washington, DC).

Interview

They were really precise on hard and soft skills. Going straight to the point, the interview was a panel with 3 engineers, and I receive answer of acceptance between 1-2 days after the interview.

Construction Inspector Interview

Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Transportation (Syracuse, NY) in March 2012.

Interview

as any job interview somebody from the department call me to set up a schedule for interview, after the finding the right date I tried to learn more about the department and what this organization about and prepared my self for the day of my interview. In the day of my interview I dressed nicely and got there about 20 minutes before schedule time. After interview and in the same day I sent the thank you letter to the people who interviewed me. Then after 3 weeks somebody from human resources called me to send them some paper work for forther investigation and then I received a call to letting me know if I still intersted for the position.

Economist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Transportation (Cambridge, MA) in January 2009.

Interview

Quick response from my online submission. Personal phone interview that focused on fit and basic resume walk through, followed by another more formal application to the DC headquarters. Very pleasant manager for the phone interview and no response to inform me of negative decision. Their stated hiring preference was on hiring long-term "lifer" employees to replace aging workforce.