US Department of Veterans Affairs IT Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Department of Veterans Affairs IT Specialist Interview Questions

Interviews at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (New York, NY).

Interview

Process was long but well worth the wait! With the VA everything takes a long time from the time they first call you for a interview until they decide to hire you.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you dealt with a difficult customer?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hines, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Hines, IL) in January 2019.

Interview

I was contacted 3 months after applying. Inwas interviewed by the hiring manager and I felt the interview went well because I had worked for the Va as a contractor. The manager said he would be in touch ...that was over a month ago. I really wanted this position because I loved working at the VA.

Interview Questions

• Did I know about some of the current applications I would be working on.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Savannah, GA) in September 2013.

Interview

Phone call with panel took less than an hour. Included human resource and other staff including supervisor. Good casual atmosphere. Very relaxed. Questions were not technical as I expected. Some behavioral related questions.

Interview Questions

• Have you worked as a virtual employee before?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Washington, DC) in November 2010.

Interview

personality questions and technical questions

Interview Questions

• if you were done with your work and you had nothing else to do what would you do?   1 Answer
    • Have you had any personal problems at your current work place?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Boston, MA) in November 2011.

Interview

very structured interview and technical.

Interview Questions

• The old what would you do in a stressful situation question   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation

IT Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview

Initial contact was via email. Week later I received a phone call to set up a phone interview. The phone interview consisted of a panel of 5 senior staff members asking KSA (knowledge, skills, and ability) type questions. All question were scenario based and can be found from the OPM.gov website or from the links in the job announcement.

IT Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview

Applied online;

Interview Questions

• a virtual panel interview was very difficult because you are speaking to 3 people on the phone, and cannot read their expressions as you provide an answer. All the questions are scripted, and are multipart, so it's difficult to know if you said enough (or too much) on a specific question. (i.e. Tell us about a time you handled a difficult customer or co-worker. How did you handle that situation, and what was the outcome?)   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. If my former salary had been higher than the offered salary, I could have requested to be placed in the step that was closest to my former salary. I was told that upfront when the offer was made. I would have been asked to submit proof of that former salary.

IT Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in March 2012.

Interview

The VA interviews on a system which is referred to as performance based interviewing (PBI). A Google search will yield a whole website dedicated to this style of Interviewing, hosted by the VA.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had a conflict with a fellow employee and how you resolved it. Did you resolve the issue independently, through an intermediary, or with the assistance of a supervisor?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No salary negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Washington, DC).

Interview

The Interview was easy and straight forward. Few technical questions and more questions about situations I have encountered and how I handled them and some personality questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiations.

Anonymous Employee in Cheyenne, WY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Cheyenne, WY) in March 2013.

Interview

Phone interview that lasted about one hour.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really, I was able to answer everything they asked   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiating. It was here is your salary and when can you start.