US Department of Veterans Affairs IT Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Department of Veterans Affairs IT Specialist Interview Questions

Updated Nov 1, 2016

3.1

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (New York, NY).

Interview

Process was long but well worth the wait! With the VA everything takes a long time from the time they first call you for a interview until they decide to hire you.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you dealt with a difficult customer?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs

IT Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview

You must apply on USAJOBS, where you submit KSA's, a resume, and complete a questionnaire. From there you will be contacted by a recruiter if they wish to interview you. If you interview they ask a standard set of questions to all applicants where they score you. If you score high then you have a decent shot. Many jobs are filled by Veterans.

IT Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview

I applied in March, and I got my first phone interview over the phone in August. It was a phone conference with multiple people on the other end. I received the job offer in December, so it is long process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a difficult situation you faced and how you solved it?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Washington, DC).

Interview

The Interview was easy and straight forward. Few technical questions and more questions about situations I have encountered and how I handled them and some personality questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiations.

IT Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview

Applied online;

Interview Questions

• a virtual panel interview was very difficult because you are speaking to 3 people on the phone, and cannot read their expressions as you provide an answer. All the questions are scripted, and are multipart, so it's difficult to know if you said enough (or too much) on a specific question. (i.e. Tell us about a time you handled a difficult customer or co-worker. How did you handle that situation, and what was the outcome?)   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. If my former salary had been higher than the offered salary, I could have requested to be placed in the step that was closest to my former salary. I was told that upfront when the offer was made. I would have been asked to submit proof of that former salary.

IT Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview

Initial contact was via email. Week later I received a phone call to set up a phone interview. The phone interview consisted of a panel of 5 senior staff members asking KSA (knowledge, skills, and ability) type questions. All question were scenario based and can be found from the OPM.gov website or from the links in the job announcement.

Anonymous Employee in Cheyenne, WY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Cheyenne, WY) in March 2013.

Interview

Phone interview that lasted about one hour.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really, I was able to answer everything they asked   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiating. It was here is your salary and when can you start.

IT Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in March 2012.

Interview

The VA interviews on a system which is referred to as performance based interviewing (PBI). A Google search will yield a whole website dedicated to this style of Interviewing, hosted by the VA.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had a conflict with a fellow employee and how you resolved it. Did you resolve the issue independently, through an intermediary, or with the assistance of a supervisor?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No salary negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Boston, MA) in November 2011.

Interview

very structured interview and technical.

Interview Questions

• The old what would you do in a stressful situation question   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (San Francisco, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

Panel interview with 1 lead IT Specialist, and 2 IT Customer Support Supervisors. Standard government interview. About an hour long, not terribly difficult, very straightforward, not exactly unique or challenging other than usual nervousness.

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult situation and how you resolved it. Describe a difficult customer and how you diffused the situation. How would you solve this problem, etc.   1 Answer