US Department of Veterans Affairs Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.7

1. Featured Interview

Physician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Miami, FL) in July 2017.

Interview

interview consisted of 2 sessions by phone and were 2 weeks apart. Fairly straight forward and was notified 1 month past 1st interview of results, Overall straight forward. Would consider it a positive experience

Interview Questions

• how do you handle conflict with a superior?   4 Answers

US Department of Veterans Affairs Response

Aug 25, 2017 – Marketing Manager

Thank you for the feedback and your service to veterans. . DS

Outreach Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Long Beach, CA) in November 2011.

Interview

Got a call from a team leader and was asked to come in. Interviewed on site with two employees, the team leader and the office manager. the entire interview took a little over an hour. was offered the position that day. started working about 4 weeks later. It took a while after I was offered the job to finish all the paperwork.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about veterans services   4 Answers

Contract Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview

It was a telephone interview. I was interviewed by a panel of 3 people. There were a total of 8 2 to 3 part questions, and the interview lasted a full 60 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Explain to us your process for making quality decisions. How do you assess risk when making those decisions, and how do you determine what level of risk you are willing to take? Give us an example of a situation where you decided to take a risk and what was the outcome.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview

Lengthy, took several months to just receive an offer, but the interview itself was short and to the point. Questions were fairly general and open-ended, allowing a mid range of "correct" choices.

Interview Questions

• Technical knowledge, work ethics, customer service, problem solving   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Frederick, MD) in August 2008.

Interview

Interviewed with a panel of three managers. The interview was very relaxed. It was over the phone as I lived across the country at the time. I prepared for the interview by writing out potential questions and answers, which really helped.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work with the VA?   Answer Question
    • How do you typically handle agressive or offensive personalities in the workplace?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not do much negotiation; although I did ask, during the interview, what my chances of being offerred the job were. I was virtually guaranteed an offer, contingent on HR background check.

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Indianapolis, IN) in December 2013.

Interview

First interview with supervisor of area where I will work (Monday). A second interview with deputy director (Friday of same week). Each interview was an hour. Tentative offer via phone from HR (following Monday), Tentative offer in writing via email (Thursday). Given one day to complete and return a small amount of forms (Friday). I am awaiting a firm offer. I have never in my 25 years of Government service been exposed to a hiring process this expedited. Very impressive.

Interview Questions

• Explain how you handled a situation where you dealt with a difficult employee or customer. Describe the nature of the problem, the outcome, and why and how you chose the method of resolution to deal with the issue.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is very little, if any, negotiation with the Federal Government.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Interview in federal building. Structured interview with 7 PBI questions. They wanted examples of past work and background of written communication, oral communication, biggest success, biggest challenge, how you deal with irate customers and clients, greatest weakness and why you want to work there. Interview panel was 2 types 1) overworked and 2) bored.

Interview Questions

• "Give us an example of a time when you spoke effectively in public."   Answer Question

Contract Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in May 2014.

Interview

I Applied on USAJOBS website on April 7, 2014. I received a telephone call to schedule a phone interview on April 30th. The phone call was followed by an email with the interview instructions. My interview was held on May 5. The email also requested that I submit a list of professional references.

Interview Questions

• Describe a major change you experienced. How did you adapt to the change and what was the final outcome?   1 Answer

Contracting Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Took a long time to get it scheduled, confusing, a large panel. A second interview was scheduled although was told the original interview was a "second" interview and the only interview. Paperwork and HR/IT vey slow in processing and a lot of wrong doings.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in February 2010.

Interview

Panel Interview. The panelist consisted of Technical, Executive and Supervisor. A series of situational questions. There were approximately 16 questions and they ranged. The offer came about 2 weeks after the interview, however, the actual on-boarding was almost two months after. Also, do not give notice to your previous employer until you get an on-board date because you may find yourself stuck. The government has been known to retract offers.

Podiatrist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Fort Wayne, IN) in January 2012.

Interview

1. The interview process for doctors is only a formality. 2. Doctors are chosen through a questionnaire and by references and referrals 3. Everything is straight forward: "This is the job, do you want it?" 4. It was very casual with only one other doctor. 5. Salary is not negotiable, so this is not a topic of discussion.

Interview Questions

• 1. Where do you see your department in five years.   1 Answer
    • 2.Do you object to overtime?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiations. It's all in the job discription and the VA handbook.