US Department of Veterans Affairs Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Department of Veterans Affairs Interview Questions

Updated Jul 19, 2017

2.7

Medical Support Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in September 2016.

Interview

Performance based interview style, so they basically give you a scenario, along with 2 or 3 questions in the scenario. You must really pay attention and not leave any answers out.

Interview Questions

• ex. "name a time that you have a conflict with a coworker or customer. What did you do to resolve the issue? What was the outcome and does it still affect your day to day work duties?"   Answer Question
    • Q: What was one thing that they asked you?   1 Answer

Licensed Clinical Social Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Martinez, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Martinez, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

There are standard questions for the Performance Based Interviews. My interview was over the phone. Three staffers present. There were 5 Each took turns asking questions. The interview took about 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• I will give questions from several interviews not any specific one.
      How do you deal with deadlines?
      How do you deal with conflict with a co-worker?
      Give us a example of excellent customer service.
      Give us an example of a challenging Veterans and how you kept boundaries?
      How did you de-escalate an angry Veteran?   Answer Question

Medical Support Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lake City, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Lake City, FL) in September 2016.

Interview

It was a panel of 4 and from September 2016 when I interviewed in between that time frame I received an offer thru email for position that started Jan 2017

Interview Questions

• How would you handle an irrate patient   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations

Staff RN Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Cleveland, OH) in August 2016.

Interview

All applications are submitted via USAJobs.gov. You will get an email letting you know if you meet the basic requirements. Could be weeks. You will then get an email telling you if you meet the preferred requirements. If not you are done and no further attention will be given to your application. Or if you do they will call to schedule an interview. This whole process may take many weeks. Initially applied at the VA in March. Started orientation in July. HR is very slow. A background check is done fingerprinting etc
     Be sure to be very detailed in your resume or they will pass it over. Behavioral interview is rough. You have to really think on your feet. All "give us an example of a time when.... type questions Also Veterans get preferred hiring at the VA so you may be highly qualified but a Vet will get additional points and will be chosen if all else is equal or comparable. Only fair.

Interview Questions

• Describe a conflict you had with a Nurse Manager and how did you resolve it.   Answer Question
    • Give an example of an ethical situation you faced and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • How would your coworkers describe you?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to leave your current position?   Answer Question

Research Health Science Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Most of the logistics were done via email. This was for a small research team in the psychiatry research department. The interview was fairly short and casual. Just chatted about the job mostly with little room for input form my end. They mainly just wanted to see if I was a good person and a good fit for the team. Overall, it was a great experience.

Interview Questions

• What kind of clinical experience did you have?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no. Salary was set by government for education level and work experience (number of years).

Work Study Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in August 2016.

Interview

Met with the person who needed help with their job. Was a fairly informal process, as the position is not permanent but is only a supplement to my current Veteran benefits as I go to school.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

N/A

Biomedical Equipment Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Boston, MA) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview process was easy (but they took forever to make a decision). The interview was casual with the department supervisor and chief. Dress was business casual. Interview lasted about 45 minutes and several questions were asked of me and I had ample time to ask several questions about the job and position.

Interview Questions

• Describe what I could contribute to make the team I would work with more cohesive.   Answer Question

Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tuskegee, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Tuskegee, AL) in August 2016.

Interview

There was a phone interview and then a person to person interview. The interviewer was very cordial yet professional and the atmosphere was very relaxed. She made me feel as though we were two old friends getting reacquainted.

Nursing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Seattle, WA) in July 2016.

Interview

Panel of two or three people asking behavioral questions. Interview lasted from about 30-60 minutes. After interview, showed me around the floor and explained how the floor works in great detail.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had a conflict and explain how you solved it.   Answer Question

Licensed Practical Nurse Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Phila, PA) in July 2016.

Interview

Panel interview. Interview lasted about 30 minutes. Standard form used to ask questions. Each individual asked questions related to my work experience and/or situations at work. The panel first explained the position, then asked pre-set questions, then I was able to ask questions about the position. Overall it was a pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• Questions were standard interview questions. Basically, what would you do in a specific situation. Describe an experience that you we unsure of something, what did you do in that situation.   Answer Question