US Department of Veterans Affairs Interview Questions in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

US Department of Veterans Affairs Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated Jan 4, 2017

Medical Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (New York, NY).

Interview

Two interviews: First by phone; Asked performance based questions and wanted lots of examples of real life experience.

Second in person; Essentially chit chatted about interests and job duties. It wasn't informal but it was a very comfortable atmosphere.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you had to discipline a subordinate   Answer Question

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (New York, NY).

Interview

Process was long but well worth the wait! With the VA everything takes a long time from the time they first call you for a interview until they decide to hire you.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you dealt with a difficult customer?   1 Answer

Medical Records Technician (Coder) Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Very long process, applied in Jan got interview in Mar. One month after interview notified I was selected a week later was notified from HR with tentative offer, did physical and finger prints and background check a week ago now just waiting.

Interview Questions

• Basic knowledge of human anatomy, CPT codes and diagnosis   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very long still waiting

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Newark, NJ) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied online and got email from the study coordinator to set up the date for phone interview. But the phone interview was set up with someone else. It was about 20 minutes long

Medical Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Brooklyn, NY).

Interview

Interviewed by Supervisor and went over my resume. Asked how I was able to handle large volume workload and rotating thru chemistry areas. Asked my expertise in QC and QA and instrument troubleshooting.

Therapist Interview

Anonymous Employee in East Orange, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (East Orange, NJ) in February 2015.

Interview

Multiple director/manager in the interview, asked very personal questions with regards to why I never left current job, felt attacked, they did not appreciate or find it professional I had multiple questions for them, very difficult to schedule interview, not understanding of current difficulty requesting time off. Noted that current employees in department did not smile, greet or talk to me, did not seem to have good relationship with director. Was required to submit my current paycheck as verification of current salary that was submitted in May. When submitting paycheck I had blacked out my vacation/sick time as well as 401k deduction and insurance fees, HR demanded I send a new copy. Again completed in May I had called and emailed HR for reasoning of seeing all details of my paycheck. No response, it is now August. In the beginning of this process my offer letter stated the applicant or VA could formally with written letter withdraw offer, it is now August and no contact, 8 months later.

Interview Questions

• Why if you do not enjoy your current job have you not left earlier   Answer Question

Registered Nurse Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

Long process. Applied in December, official offer received the end of February. Well worth the wait. Great salary offer and the benefits are fantastic. My HR recruiter was wonderful-kept me informed about process. Highly recommend!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations. Offer is based on boarding package.

Chief of Service Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Brooklyn, NY) in July 2013.

Interview

The Interview is you and three people who have access to your FBI background check. To show how powerful they are they make snide remarks. If you served with distinction in the US Military they ask," Did you ever Murder Anyone?" You come to the immediate conclusion,"Why am I doing this? These guys are total losers".

Housekeeping Aide Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montrose, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Montrose, NY) in November 2012.

Interview

I made an account with usajobs.gov. applied for housekeeping Aide got selected for an interveiw.They gave me a time and date to come in.I was there 20mins.early.When it was my time for the interveiw they had 3 supervisors on the panel asking diffrent questions about how can you do the job and make it a better for the resident or the VA.I gave the honest answer that is within me its not about me its about the VETRAN.I feel like I'm giving back for what these men and woman put their life on line for all.

Interview Questions

• Have you done housekeeping before.   2 Answers

Negotiation

If you like what your doing stay there.I can always change depts.with the diffrent skills that I have opportunity is here you just have to want it.

Office Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calverton, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Calverton, NY) in May 2012.

Interview

It took one month before I was interviewed & 2 months before I was hired. Be very careful whom you write in as a reference as the VA WILL call them!!! Make sure that you receive permission from your references first before noting them down. Also, regardless of what job you are interviewing for, dress conservatively as it leaves them with a better impression of you than if you were to appear in jeans.