US Department of Veterans Affairs Registered Nurse Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Department of Veterans Affairs Registered Nurse Interview Questions

Interviews at US Department of Veterans Affairs

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Amarillo, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Amarillo, TX).

Interview

Long, drawn out and painful. Due to holiday season the Boarding committee did not meet because the regular meeting days fell on Holidays. I interviewed the day before Thanksgiving and accepted position tentatively awaiting pay grade offer around New Years and did not start until February 4th.

Interview Questions

• Many questions concerning difficult past job conflicts and the outcomes with co-workers, Bosses and Physicians.   Answer Question

Negotiation

A 4-month process to receive a pay offer from the Boarding Committee.

Other Interview Reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs

Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Long Beach, CA).

Interview

Very long process (2-3 months ) and job offer will be given after the entire process. Also panel interview is standard . Tons of papers to submit and process thru USA jobs

Interview Questions

• They will give u a sheet of paper and it has 10 questions , you read it out loud then answer them 1 by 1 . Mostly nursing evidence based practices   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation with the offer its either you take it or you walk away

Registered Nurse Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview

Interviewed by hiring manager and a panel of other managers from other wards/units. Questions were general: Tell me about your strenghts and weaknesses, Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult situation involving coworkers or patient(s), Why did you choose to work for this company or unit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Albany, NY) in March 2011.

Interview

I applied for the job by sending a package of information. This included two application forms, which I downloaded from the VA website, a resume, copy of my RN license, college transcripts, and a copy of my DD-214 because I am a veteran. As one might expect, the requirements for application are very clearly stated in the job listing.

I was contacted 4 weeks later and at that time set up a day and time one week later for a telephone interview, because I live far away from the worksite. The interview was conducted by two senior nursing staff.

The interviewers described the process as a "structured interview." They explained the process, however, I was unprepared for the actuality at execution. Questions were grouped by an area of focus, e.g., "
    interpersonal effectiveness," "systems thinking," "flexibility/adaptability," and others I cannot recall. The interviewers introduced each set of questions by saying that the questions to follow had to do with one of those areas of focus, e.g., "interpersonal effectiveness." Then they read/asked the questions, which were multipart. It was grueling. I was unprepared for the type of interview, which was more like an oral exam. It was definitely not a conversation or a dialogue. When I had difficulty framing my answers to fit, they prompted me helpfully.
    Still, I was unprepared for a question that asked how I had "thought outside the box," and another about how I had improved efficiency or quality. I had initially looked forward to anonymity of the telephone interview, but I also now think this made it more difficult to understand what was being asked for in the questions, made it more difficult to ask to have questions repeated, which I did, several times.

The interview was concluded after about 45 minutes. The interviewers explained that the hiring process takes 2-3 months. I will be notified even if I am not selected.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of how you solved a problem by thinking outside the box.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Wichita, KS) in April 2009.

Interview

Constantly have to look for postings on USAjobs.gov and you need a good federal resume

Interview Questions

Negotiation

You are hired and paid according to years and experience. A set formula is used with very little negotiation room.

Anonymous Employee in Bay Pines, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Bay Pines, FL) in April 2011.

Interview

This is a very long process, once you have been selected it take months for them to contact you and set up the interview. Once you receive an interview , and they hire you. It takes months for them to call you with a start date, this could be months. The total time is about 4-5 months

Interview Questions

• "what would you do in this situation?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

It was very long. You could think that you don't have the job.

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Cleveland, OH) in March 2011.

Interview

You apply online. It usually takes a month or longer to get a phone call for an interview. Between the time you have your interview and your hire date, 3 to 6 months can go by. Very long and nerve wracking process.

Anonymous Employee in West Haven, CT

Interview

The manager begin with brief summary of the unit, then proceed to asking me questions. It was about one and half hour. Then I took a tour of the unit.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of how I utilized nursing process and what was the outcome.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Asheville, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

Interview process was performed quickly and efficiently. They did ask clinical questions in order to ascertain the applicant's knowledge base. The wait since receiving tentative offer and firm offer has been incredibly long-over seven months.

Registered Nurse Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview

While I am happy they did everything via email and phone, the process is entirely too long! I interviewed three times with at least two weeks between each interview. I also had to submit tons of paperwork. I understand it is the government and they need to do a more thorough background check, but after all these years they should be able to narrow down the time frame.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is none