US Department of Veterans Affairs Secretary Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Department of Veterans Affairs Secretary Interview Questions

Interviews at US Department of Veterans Affairs

2.6

Secretary Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in February 2015.

Interview

It was quite simple - apparently I was the one they were looking for. My resume was complete and accurate and in good shape. I was prepared to be interviewed. It was a bit intimidating being the center of attention. There were 3 interviewers. I was called back for an interview with just my supervisor to be. Additionally, I was called back for a 3rd interview with the Assistant Secretary for Policy and Planning.

Interview Questions

• Tell me your strengths and weaknesses. This was rather easy, as I was prepared. I recommend that one always bring his / her resume to the interview, so that you can refer to it, if you are nervous. Also, be ready to take notes.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase.

Other Interview Reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Kansas City, MO).

Interview

The entire process took about 4 months. The job that I applied for had a close out date in August 2014. I was notified that I was referred in September. I interviewed in November, and was notified that I wasn't hired in December.

Interview Questions

• Name two things you did to better yourself in your last position   Answer Question
    • Name a technical skill that you used most in your last position   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Fayetteville, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Fayetteville, NC) in January 2012.

Interview

I was notified by telephone that they wanted to schedule an interview (got an email from USAJOBS stating I was selected...took about a week after that). My interview consisted of 3 people that were doing a performance based interview. Pretty average questions pertaining to previous employment and how I handled certain situations. Jobs I performed etc. After that they stated that they would be selecting 2 people to conduct a second interview. I was called the following week to do a 1:1 with the department head. She stated she would be in contact within a week. I was called a week later for the job offer. I then have to go through a background check and physical which I am currently awaiting on. I have heard it could take up to a month.

Interview Questions

• Describe a goal you had to meet and the timeframe you had to do it in.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you had to enforce a project to others. Did they comply? If not, how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't any negotiation. There is a set amount that is done by steps.

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Phoenix, AZ) in May 2013.

Interview

Easy, I was a work study while a student at Arizona State University. Interview was basically just finding out my availability and brief introductions. I began work the next day which was nice and was allowed to do my school work during work hours when there was not other tasks to complete.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Orange, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (East Orange, NJ) in March 2016.

Interview

It was standard with pre-written questions that is asked of everyone no matter the department. The federal government uses standard knowledge, skills, and abilities to determine if an individual is qualified.

Interview Questions

• Name an occurrence where you had to make a judgment call.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Buffalo, NY) in June 2018.

Interview

I thought the panel interview was very interesting. I was called by the panel member before I got the email saying I was referred. Very pleasant conversation and being that I had just retired from being a PEBLO it seemed that I would be a good fit.

Interview Questions

• time management; why the VA; attention to detail; there were six total.   Answer Question

Secretary Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in September 2009.

Interview

I interviewed with a panel of three individuals, a male and two females. I also was required to type a word
    processing document. I was asked questions regarding computer skills as well
    as past job experience, supervisors, etc. The personnel were friendly and the
    work culture seemed relaxed and casual. One of the questions I asked one of the
    interviewers was what was the management style of the supervisor.

I recall being asked what the minimum number of times a phone should ring before
    being answered. I am a former federal employee with career status but for some reason
    cannot seem to get another federal job.

Interview Questions

• Tell about a time when you filled in for your supervisor and what was the outcome.   1 Answer