US Department of Veterans Affairs Social Worker Interview Questions

Updated Jun 5, 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 22 of over 887 interviews

3.3
HardAverageEasy

Interviews for Top Jobs at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Toledo, OH) in Mar 2021

Interview

Panel interview PBI questions - 12 questions but felt like 36 with multiple part questions. Questions using acronyms used internally made it challenging for general public and other questions that are so job specific make it difficult for those looking to expand their knowledge and population base to grow.

Interview Questions
  • Are you familiar with VHA and VBA resources available to homeless veterans? Please provide us with 2 examples of how you coordinated services for veterans with the VHA and/ or VBA.
    Answer Question
  • Could you please define Housing First. Do you agree with this philosophy? Why or why not. Walk us thru the HUD definition of homeless and chronically homeless.

US Department of Veterans Affairs

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in Mar 2021

Interview

I participated in an interview with 6 panelists . The questions were performance based so please write down the questions as it is important to answer all components. It is also beneficial for your response to be concise, comprehensive, and thorough.

Interview Questions
  • Tell us about a time something did not go as planned? What was the outcome? What did you learn from this? What do you do differently now?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Louisville, KY) in Feb 2021

Interview

Applied the day the job opened. Got the call to interview 9 days after close. Interviewed the next week. It's a panel interview where they take turns introducing themselves and what they do and asking a series of 8 Performance Based Interviewing questions. These can be found on the VA website for practice.

Interview Questions
  • Performance Based Interview Questions were asked. These can be found on the VA website.

US Department of Veterans Affairs

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in Jan 2020

Interview

There was a panel of 3 staff that included a Chief of Social Work, Social Worker and a nurse. Each took turns asking standard questions which you are rated at.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Tampa, FL)

Interview

Very structured, with multi-part questions. Performance based. Was held in front of a panel of 4 individuals and lasted approximately 30-45 minutes. It was a difficult interview so I recommend preparing yourself as much as possible.

Interview Questions
  • What is one project you completed where you had to overcome obstacles?

US Department of Veterans Affairs

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Interview

Performance Based interview, usually 3 or more person interview panel. Occassionally all will be supervisors looking to hire for different positions. It's not usually too stuffy, but I cant speak for executive level positions.

Interview Questions
  • All questions are performance based so be prepared with examples of times you worked hard, went above and beyond, dealt with difficult customers/clients, and thought outside of the box. Answers should demonstrate what the situation was, how you handled it and what the outcome was.
6 people found this interview helpful

US Department of Veterans Affairs

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in Jan 2019

Interview

Panel interview with a number of standard questions. Majority was performance based. I would be very much prepared with examples of cases you have worked on in the past, case conceptualization, process of how you handle conflict, and how you deliver bad news.

Interview Questions
  • Give us an example of a difficult case you had. What was your case conceptualization and treatment plan.
  • Give us an example of a time you disagreed or had conflict with a coworker, supervisor, or team. How did you handle it?

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (San Antonio, TX) in Nov 2018

Interview

The interview consisted of performance based questions which focused on past actions and current actions based on a given scenario. There was a panel of 3 social workers I sat in front of and they took turns asking one question at a time.

Interview Questions
  • If you had multiple tasks to complete in one day and could not have them all finished on time, how would determine which tasks had priority and how would you determine which ones to complete?
7 people found this interview helpful

US Department of Veterans Affairs

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in Aug 2018

Interview

Attended a mental health trainee virtual open house and was contacted a month later by a VA recruiter. The recruiter told me of positions that were available and provided me with the service chiefs email. Sent him my cover letter and resume. Was then contacted for a panel interview. Waited a week and was contacted again for a second panel interview this time with the service chief and two physicians. Three hours after my interview I received an email from the chief requesting references. A week and a half later I received a call from HR offering me the position. I should note that I completed my second semester field work with the VA so I am sure that helped in the selection.

Interview Questions
  • What types of clients are you favorite to work with? What was the hardest day you ever had at work and why? It’s basically all PBI questions which can be very difficult if you don’t prepare.

US Department of Veterans Affairs

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 3 months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Interview

The interview process includes a series of questions that correlate with your department. A panel of 3-4 members will interview you via phone or in person. The questions asked are very specific to the department you are applying in and Veteran centered.

Interview Questions
  • How would you provide services with limited resources?
3 people found this interview helpful