US Department of Veterans Affairs Social Worker Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Department of Veterans Affairs Social Worker Interview Questions

Interviews at US Department of Veterans Affairs

3.3

Social Worker Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview

Performance Based interview, usually 3 or more person interview panel. Occassionally all will be supervisors looking to hire for different positions. It's not usually too stuffy, but I cant speak for executive level positions.

Interview Questions

• All questions are performance based so be prepared with examples of times you worked hard, went above and beyond, dealt with difficult customers/clients, and thought outside of the box. Answers should demonstrate what the situation was, how you handled it and what the outcome was.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tomah, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Tomah, WI) in May 2018.

Interview

Phone conference interview with two pleasant interviewers who were the directors of the hiring programs. Performance-based questions (so explaining how you handled past scenarios); you can find sample questions online to practice. They were very strengths-based and provided opportunities for you to speak about your strengths and experiences.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself and why you're interested in this particular position.   Answer Question

Social Worker Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview

The interview process includes a series of questions that correlate with your department. A panel of 3-4 members will interview you via phone or in person. The questions asked are very specific to the department you are applying in and Veteran centered.

Interview Questions

• How would you provide services with limited resources?   1 Answer

Social Worker Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in November 2014.

Interview

Very quick and to the point. I was referred by previous supervisor. Met with new supervisor after I moved. HR was incredibly slow and took 8 months before I had a start date and I transferred from another VA. Others who had the same start day say it took over a year.

Interview Questions

• Describe counseling techniques you have used in the pasr   Answer Question

Social Worker Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in August 2018.

Interview

Attended a mental health trainee virtual open house and was contacted a month later by a VA recruiter. The recruiter told me of positions that were available and provided me with the service chiefs email. Sent him my cover letter and resume. Was then contacted for a panel interview. Waited a week and was contacted again for a second panel interview this time with the service chief and two physicians. Three hours after my interview I received an email from the chief requesting references. A week and a half later I received a call from HR offering me the position. I should note that I completed my second semester field work with the VA so I am sure that helped in the selection.

Interview Questions

• What types of clients are you favorite to work with? What was the hardest day you ever had at work and why? It’s basically all PBI questions which can be very difficult if you don’t prepare.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Houston, TX).

Interview

Interview process can be rigorous. Panel interviews are the norm. Phone call from HR to come in for interviews. There are different phases of being hired. Physical, bloodwork, fingerprints and credentialing takes a full 30 days.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It takes 3-4 months to get your start date.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Omaha, NE) in February 2014.

Interview

The first thing to remember is that the hiring process for any federal jobs can be extremely length. However, I was contacted fairly quickly after applying and being referred of a social worker position. Every interview I've done with the VA has been conducted by at least 2 interviewers and included 10 questions, mostly behavioral and mostly comprised of 3 parts. (tell me about a time you worked with a team, what did you do and what was the result? etc.). I've only been asked clinical questions on one occasion.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to make an unpopular decision. How do you deal with negative publicity?   Answer Question

We were not able to satisfactorily negotiate my salary.

Social Worker Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview

Did the cursory interview as is expected when one is completing their second year of a Masters program. I'm expected to write at least 30 words but there really isn't much to say when one considers this interview was set up through NYU's Master's program. Yes the VA will only take second year students but at that point it's a given your going to get the position.

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the ordinary was asked as this was a cursory interview, I.E., make sure we could get along for nine months.   Answer Question

Social Worker Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview

Phone interview with a panel of social workers. Asked performance based questions. Questions had 2 and 3 parts to the question. Try to be clear and give past examples. You are allowed to ask questions and ask them to repeat the question.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you had to work in a team? What did you contribute? What was the outcome. Fairly easy questions.   Answer Question

Had a local offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Salt Lake City, UT) in April 2010.

Interview

Required detailed KSA form and numerous other forms for submittal.

Interview Questions

• What was your most difficult case?   4 Answers