US Department of Veterans Affairs Social Worker Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Department of Veterans Affairs Social Worker Interview Questions

3.3

10 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Battle Creek, MI

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Battle Creek, MI) in July 2015.

Interview

Interned over the school year, got an email in June asking if I was interested in interviewing for the position I interned in, interviewed in July, heard nothing for more than 3 weeks, and got an offer mid August. The interview was not stressful at all, it's the waiting that killed me. I do not anticipate starting in the position until October. I know the person whose job I'm filling left in June.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to juggle several things at the same time. What was the situation and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Dayton, OH) in March 2015.

Interview

All Veterans Affairs Medical Center interviews are behavior based interviews. Usually there are several interviewers and you get a number of behavioral questions to elicit responses based on some experience you have had in the past during your work experience. The interviewers write down your individual responses and typically you get zero feedback in terms of how that particular response was received. It can be quite unnerving and frustrating.

Social Worker Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview

Did the cursory interview as is expected when one is completing their second year of a Masters program. I'm expected to write at least 30 words but there really isn't much to say when one considers this interview was set up through NYU's Master's program. Yes the VA will only take second year students but at that point it's a given your going to get the position.

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the ordinary was asked as this was a cursory interview, I.E., make sure we could get along for nine months.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Houston, TX).

Interview

Interview process can be rigorous. Panel interviews are the norm. Phone call from HR to come in for interviews. There are different phases of being hired. Physical, bloodwork, fingerprints and credentialing takes a full 30 days.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It takes 3-4 months to get your start date.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Omaha, NE) in February 2014.

Interview

The first thing to remember is that the hiring process for any federal jobs can be extremely length. However, I was contacted fairly quickly after applying and being referred of a social worker position. Every interview I've done with the VA has been conducted by at least 2 interviewers and included 10 questions, mostly behavioral and mostly comprised of 3 parts. (tell me about a time you worked with a team, what did you do and what was the result? etc.). I've only been asked clinical questions on one occasion.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to make an unpopular decision. How do you deal with negative publicity?   Answer Question

We were not able to satisfactorily negotiate my salary.

Social Worker Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview

Phone interview with a panel of social workers. Asked performance based questions. Questions had 2 and 3 parts to the question. Try to be clear and give past examples. You are allowed to ask questions and ask them to repeat the question.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you had to work in a team? What did you contribute? What was the outcome. Fairly easy questions.   Answer Question

Had a local offer

Social Worker Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in June 2012.

Interview

Performance Based Interview (PBI) questions are utilized in an effort to standardize interview process. To apply for a job with VA use USAJOBS website. To improve the odds of getting an interview use the Resume Builder feature on USAJOBS, include terms from job announcement in resume and be specific about knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs)on resume. Learn more about KSAs at the Dept. of labor O*NET website.

Interview Questions

• PBI interview style is not common. Be prepared. Google PBI and VA to learn more.   Answer Question

Negotiation

n/a

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Salt Lake City, UT) in April 2010.

Interview

Required detailed KSA form and numerous other forms for submittal.

Interview Questions

• What was your most difficult case?   1 Answer

Social Worker Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in September 2012.

Interview

I had a phone interview with a panel of staff at the VA clinic where the job would be based. The panel included a psychologist, social worker, and program supervisor, on the HUD VASH team (the position was for HUD VASH social worker.) The interview took 30 minutes, as expected, and included an initial 5 questions, a break for the interviewers to discuss, then another 5 questions. At the conclusion of the interview, I asked what the next step would be and what the timeframe for a decision would be. I was told to speak with HR from that point forward, and that a start date for the position was not yet decided upon, so they could not provide a timeframe for the decision.

I called the contact person on the job announcement, someone from HR, to follow up, since it's been a month since the interview and I haven't heard back. The person said, "if you get the job, you'll get a phone call. If you don't get the job, you'll get an email." She then said that they were running behind in the hiring process.

Interview Questions

• "What was the toughest criticism you've received from a supervisor, and how did you handle it?" **many of the questions involve several parts to each individual question, so taking notes while questions are asked is highly suggested.   Answer Question

Social Worker Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in November 2009.

Interview

Of course trying to go back to work for the government is NEVER easy, but the process could really be streamlined. The people that are looking at resumes are not the ones that really know what is going to be needed on the job. You apply, and months later may hear fom someone but usually not. The HR people are not very helpful and have turned me off to the process. When you find out almost six months later that you did not get the job when you KNOW that they hired someone almost the week after your interview based upon a phone call to the person with whom you interviewed. Very disappointing. Our service men and women deserve better.

Interview Questions

• Could you explain how in a past job you managed to handle a difficult situation involving coworkers.   1 Answer