US Department of Veterans Affairs Staff RN Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Department of Veterans Affairs Staff RN Interview Questions

Interviews at US Department of Veterans Affairs

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (West Los Angeles, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

Applied online, interviewed in less than 1 week. Interview questions were in 4 categories:
1. Conflict Management/Communications: Tell us about a difficult situation that you have encountered with your past experience & how you handled it? 2.Skills/Abilities: Based on your past experience, what was your greatest achievement or what is your greatest asset that would benefit our organization? 3.Personal Skills:What have you done in the past to help contribute to a "teamwork environment"? 4.Priortizing: you are caring for 3 patients who are all calling for assistance at the same time. 1 patient is complaining of abdominal pain, one has shortness of breath, and one is clutching his chest. Who do you go to first & why?

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs

Staff RN Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview

Applied online at usajobs. Received a call from HR a month later to schedule an interview. Panel phone interview with 4 nurse managers from different units. The performance based interview questions were used. Nothing surprised me, most of the questions asked were sample questions from the VA website so I had answers already prepared. They said they can't give offers over the phone and we would hear something from HR 2-3 weeks once all the interviews were done. I called HR after 2 weeks and she said that they are still conducting interviews so maybe I'll hear something next week.

Interview Questions

• I did have to rate myself on a scale from 1-10 on skills.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Indianapolis, IN) in November 2012.

Interview

I have been through a few telephone interviews. These are all performance based interviews. After the interviews, a selection is made and sent to the HR department. It can take another 3-8 weeks to get a response. Its a lot like the old adage "Hurry up and wait".
    My first application process with the VA took five months from application submitted to actually beginning the job.

Interview Questions

• One of the most difficult questions I have had was, " How did you handle the situation of a a fellow staff person that didn't like you or you had disagreements with?"   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Bay Pines, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Bay Pines, FL) in April 2013.

Interview

Very enthusiast rid to join VA in 1992, and after 20 years of dedicated service to the Veterans, (my own father was a lifer), tossed out like garbage by insecure nurse manager

Interview Questions

• Management policies after 20 years of VA service,   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was an enthusiastic new nurse in April 1993, and thrown away like garbage after 20 years, in which I received numerous awards

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Tampa, FL) in July 2011.

Interview

lengthy but very thorough

Interview Questions

• very general questions….you just reflect on past experiences   Answer Question

Negotiation

2 weeks later they called made offer and salary and i accepted

Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Bakersfield, CA) in September 2009.

Interview

very through and involved, finger prints, back ground check

Interview Questions

Negotiation

ask for a signing bonus

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Tampa, FL) in December 2013.

Interview

I applied for the job in October 2013 and was contacted for an interview November and my interview was the following week. I thought the process would take much longer, but it was actually pretty fast. After my interview, I contacted the POC 2 weeks later to follow up and to also let them know that I was still very much interested in the position. The board met on the 17th and was notified last Friday that I got one of the PCU positions. I haven't received an offer letter yet. I should be rated as Nurse 1 level 3, but not sure about which step.

Interview Questions

• The interview itself wasn't difficult. I knew what questions to review and they were word for word.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Cleveland, OH) in August 2016.

Interview

All applications are submitted via USAJobs.gov. You will get an email letting you know if you meet the basic requirements. Could be weeks. You will then get an email telling you if you meet the preferred requirements. If not you are done and no further attention will be given to your application. Or if you do they will call to schedule an interview. This whole process may take many weeks. Initially applied at the VA in March. Started orientation in July. HR is very slow. A background check is done fingerprinting etc
     Be sure to be very detailed in your resume or they will pass it over. Behavioral interview is rough. You have to really think on your feet. All "give us an example of a time when.... type questions Also Veterans get preferred hiring at the VA so you may be highly qualified but a Vet will get additional points and will be chosen if all else is equal or comparable. Only fair.

Interview Questions

• Describe a conflict you had with a Nurse Manager and how did you resolve it.   Answer Question
    • Give an example of an ethical situation you faced and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • How would your coworkers describe you?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to leave your current position?   Answer Question

Staff RN Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview

Given a piece of paper with interview questions. The panel read questions stated on the piece of paper out loud. Standard interview across the board. At the end, the panel asks questions where you rate yourself 1 to 10.

Interview Questions

• Questions are located at the VA Website.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Memphis, TN).

Interview

Great interactive interview. Not stressful. Management wants to hire quality nurses and is obviously wanting to change the perception of VA nursing. Willing to compensate competitively for education, experience, and certifications.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you were confronted with an ethical issue at work and how did you respond to it?   Answer Question