US Department of Veterans Affairs Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

US Department of Veterans Affairs Interview Questions in Washington, DC

Updated Jun 25, 2017

2.5

20 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

Telephone interview after applying online and review of resume and responses to questionnaire. It was a long process, apply for the job over 8 months ago. I was very surprised to be contacted after this length of time.

Interview Questions

• How would you manage multiple projects due at the same time?   1 Answer

Legal Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Washington, DC) in January 2016.

Interview

Scripted, board/panel style interview. Short and concise. Only 15 minutes long. Asked two questions myself. Little feedback. Lack of conversation and series of questions.

Associate Counsel Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Washington, DC) in September 2015.

Interview

Received an email from Board of Veterans' Appeals human resources department that specified a date and time to interview, in person. Upon accepting the invitation, I was told that I would be interviewing before a panel of Veterans Law Judges. The interview lasted 15 minutes with very little time to ask questions (you are held to a strict 15-minute time limit). Approximately two weeks after the interview, I received an email from human resources asking if I would accept an offer.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever disagreed with your manager and how did you resolve the disagreement?   Answer Question

Health Science Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Washington, DC).

Interview

Applications are invited from US citizens through advertisement at regular channels. Personnel Office screens the applications based upon requirements and candidate's qualifications and experience. The division/sevice chiefs and staff interviews candidates. Short-listed candidates are again asked for detailed interviews and visit. The selected candidate is informed about the result and a suitable date for joininig is negotiated.

Interview Questions

• How I would manage the review process.   Answer Question
    • To active researchers-Whether they would be comfortable in administrative position.   Answer Question
    • How comfortable I would be in switching from an active researcher to academic administrator?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Had to negotiate time to continue my ongoing research

Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Washington, DC) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online which was then followed by a panel interview. The interview consisted of situational based questions such as describing situations where you showed leadership or took on organizational challenges.

Pharmacy Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Washington, DC) in November 2014.

Interview

Average To Normal. Interviewer reviewed my resume and inquired about my in-depth military experience in healthcare. Morevover, the interviewer asked about my knowledge in reconstituting mixtures. Otherwise, the process was quite simple. I expected more questions as I felt I was the conducting the interview with the vast amount of questions I had about the facility. Afterwards, I did take a tour of the facility and the workstation.

Negotiation

N/A

IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Washington, DC) in October 2013.

Interview

Applied online at usajobs.gov, was computer screened for 'job-fitness', then manually screened for job and other areas of fitness. Then after all that I was scheduled for two phone interviews a week apart. The first was an interview that had a group of 4 managers asking me various probing questions relating to the job, myself, and myself in that job. The second was a one-on-one phone interview between my direct supervisor and myself. She had asked me more questions that weren't asked during the first and also to presented an opportunity for me to ask questions.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for the V.A.?   1 Answer

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Washington, DC).

Interview

The Interview was easy and straight forward. Few technical questions and more questions about situations I have encountered and how I handled them and some personality questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiations.

Program Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Washington, DC) in August 2013.

Interview

Applied for position through USAjobs.gov. Announcement closed on 7/9/2013, interviewed in mid-August 2013. The interview was an in-person panel interview, approximately five people. Received offer 9/2/2013. Original start date was 9/22/2014. Due to the government furlough, I didn't start until Oct 21,2013

Interview Questions

• Questions were not difficult. All questions asked where performance based interviewing questions i.e. " tell me about a time when..." There were approximately seven questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiated due to previous federal experience. Job opportunity announcement ( JOA) was for status candidates- I was reinstated as a former federal employee and to previous general schedule (GS) grade.

Senior Operations Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Washington, DC) in February 2013.

Interview

They had multiple rounds of interviews. The first interview involved a director, the direct supervisor (section chief), and one of the individuals working in the group that I would be joining. They asked several questions mostly to make sure you know your basics and a few tougher ones to undersrtand how you think

Interview Questions

• They asked some of the typical investment banker interview questions. I think they just want to make sure you can 1) think 2) won't crack under pressure (people really have just walked out).   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was none and they probably would've pulled my offer if I pushed it