US Indian Health Service Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Indian Health Service Interview Questions

Updated Sep 23, 2017

1.9

HR Manager Interview

Interview

Phone interview with a panel of about 4 interviewers. Took about 45 minutes. Half of the time was questions related to the position. The other half was discussing the geographic area.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to explain several Federal HR questions regarding hiring authorities (Indian Preference, Veteran's Preference, etc.).   Answer Question

Occupational Health and Safety Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cuyahoga Falls, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Indian Health Service (Cuyahoga Falls, OH) in March 2017.

Interview

Telephone conference call with three individuals. Typical questions about employee conflict , leadership examples, questions that can be found by googling govt. job interview. More focused questions on specific experiences.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time where you had to demonstrate leadership skills.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Indian Health Service.

Interview

Easy-- My first position with IHS had no interview. I applied online and they called me and offered me the job. The second interview was after I had been there a year and I applied for a different job.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a supervisor?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at US Indian Health Service (Billings, MT) in February 2016.

Interview

You have to call in and do a pre screening process to see if you qualify first for the position. Afterwards, they send you an email with all the paperwork that you must fill out in order to be even considered (Medical, Fingerprints, Recs, Resume, Letter why you want to join, etc.). This process took 2 months to finish. Afterwards, a commissioned corps officer will call you about taking up a position in their office. Questions were relatively straight forward. They mainly asked about your personality and if you're willing to move out to their location. These locations can be very isolated from a large population.

Contract Rad Tech Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US Indian Health Service in October 2015.

Interview

Description of facility of location, department settings, types of patients for treatment as well as the number of patients that are seen daily. The only departments the facility has is ER, Outpatients, and Ultrasound. However, I was told of a project that a new facility was being built with added departments and potentially adding more employees. Also, the need for more added Rad techs for general radiology, CT, Ultrasound, and Surgery. With all that said, hardly anything as done as far as cross examination of myself as a candidate. Instead I asked sensible questions, concerning about the facility and the town itself. It was a way of expressing interest for the position.

Interview Questions

• Hardly anything was asked about me. They seemed quick and eager to have someone whether permanent or temporary.   Answer Question

Staff Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Indian Health Service (Rockville, MD) in October 2015.

Interview

I was lied to about the benefits, including teleworking. When I arrived, they said there was no telework and that working in office is a requirement; this was after making me leave my previous job where I teleworked. I wish I never accepted the position.

Nurse Practitioner Interview

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at US Indian Health Service.

Interview

Received a call 1 day after responding to an online post for the job. The woman who called seemed to know very little about the position and stated I should fill out a bunch of papers asap to start the process. Received the papers and one of them is a contract which I didn't feel comfortable signing as 1-it's mostly blank and 2- I haven't discussed anything in terms of compensation, interview process, living arrangements and the bottom of the contract states that once signed the contract is binding for you to fulfill the time period mentioned (one of the blank spots BTW).
    Apparently there is no interview process and you cannot tour the site or speak with anyone who works there. The recruiter stated this is because it is government property (I have no idea if this is true or not). Originally they had offered $45 per hour but this was lowered to $38. No specifics about housing. She said she would write my questions down and get back to me, which is why I started scouting out reviews as she seemed unprepared, somewhat pushy and unprofessional (she yawned loudly on the phone while talking to me!!!).

Interview Questions

• only questions about my experience but very little of that, no true interview questions   Answer Question

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Indian Health Service (Nashville, TN) in July 2015.

Interview

Quick and to the point, with most of the questions covering the usual topics (e.g. share a difficult project and how you were able to work through the conflicts/issues that arose; name your strengths and weaknesses).

Registered Nurse Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gallup, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at US Indian Health Service (Gallup, NM) in March 2014.

Interview

Telephone interview, very casual, interviewer was very kind, down to earth.

interviewer was very knowledgeable about the facility as well as the town the facility is located she gave personal numbers incase I had any questions for her later on, helpful in attempting to find a place to live as well, stayed in contact after the initial interview and helped through out the whole hiring process

Interview Questions

• tell me about a time where you disagreed with another co-worker how did you react, how did you figure out a solution   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate and it was a very easy process the interviewer helped through out the whole process

IT Specialist Customer Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at US Indian Health Service (Rockville, MD) in September 2013.

Interview

I applied as an Indian Preference candidate at headquarters in Rockville, MD. After being rated as Highly Qualified, I received a phone call inviting me in for an interview. I interviewed with two people; the department manager and his backup.

During the interview, the department manager mentioned he was attempting to get "his contractors" hired; however, whenever he advertised a job, an "IP" (indian preference) candidate would apply and ruin the chances for "his contractors" due to: "The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS"

As I spoke with the manager and his backup, I realized my experience at the FDA and the NIH very closely matched the position advertised with IHS. So closely, I left the interview convinced I would get the position due to my experience and skillset being perfectly matched to the position rather than my "IP" candidacy. I really believed the department manager would hire me because I was so qualified.

I was wrong. I have learned since then to circumvent federal law IHS employees are allowed to withdraw a job announcement if the person applying is not the person they want. In fact, I recently applied for another position with IHS using Indian Preference and in less than 3 days a new job announcement went up similar position, similar job duties, same grade, different job title. I predict the job I applied to will be withdrawn.

TL;DR Applying using Indian Preference at IHS is a joke. The Feds will find ways around hiring you, unless you're hiring for an actual health position; such as, doctor, nurse, dental hygienist or if you apply for a job somewhere like Dulce, NM.

Interview Questions

• How would I feel working with a group of men since you are female?   1 Answer
    • How much experience do you have supporting users in Health and Human Services?   1 Answer