US National Archives and Records Administration Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 14, 2017

1.5

15 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Student Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US National Archives and Records Administration.

Interview

Nothing really, I came in and they basically said I had the job. No behavioral questions, more questions on how your schedule fits with them.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Fixed hourly pay.

Archivist Interview

Interview

For a student position, it was laid back. Five person interview but they were kind and asked why I wanted to work there and then asked if I can handle the labor.

Research Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US National Archives and Records Administration in March 2009.

Interview

I originally applied via my school's career center but decided to contact the recruiter directly. After 10 minutes on the phone with her, she offered me the internship. I guess many students didn't apply, given the internship was offered to me, without much effort on my part. Most of the employees I met with during a informational interview seemed boring & were responsible for documenting numerous gov't documents. Although I talked to a few who did their own research on the side. The atmosphere seemed dulled and dead, I ultimately decided to reject the offer.

Interview Questions

• Looking over your CV you have no prior experience or have shown any interest in government, so why do want this internship?   1 Answer

Customer Service Phone Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US National Archives and Records Administration (Saint Louis, MO) in March 2012.

Interview

I turned in a paper application via internal connection (no longer possible). Now you have to apply to USAjobs.gov . You must fill out the application and submit all requested documents or your application will immediately be rejected. If you have no errors then you will be screened by the FBI and in some cases they will interview your neighbors and family.
    If you pass all screening, then you will get a call from the call center supervisor. If for any reason you have to call the supervisor, be prepared to leave a message as the supervisors do not directly answer calls that originate from outside of their building.
    Expect a phone interview, followed up with an interview in person. Questions are all pretty generic: Are you affiliated with any anti-government organizations? How do you feel about veterans? Do you know how to use Word? Etc.

Interview Questions

• They will sit you down and tell you a lame story about some lady who buys a bunch of stuff for her sister and then expect you to repeat back the items that she bought. It's supposed to be a listening exercise, but they don't give you any idea what is supposed to be important.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. You take the $11.95 or you get nothing.

Archives Aid Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US National Archives and Records Administration (Fort Worth, TX) in May 2011.

Interview

Apply at USAjobs.gov only. I was selected from over 250 applicants so you need a Relevant killer resume. Formal interview wasn't really required for a box mover position which is what the T & D Department aids do all day, all month, all year long. The hiring manager shared in 2013 they aren't looking to hire anymore aids - that GS-4 technician will be minimum sought. We work with temp labor help, but they can't apply so we are losing them after a year with us per contract and many are starting to get hired elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• Is there any reason why you can't climb ladders carrying 40 pound boxes to shelve or unshelve?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The government has a set starting rate in each grade so negotiation is mostly pointless. Take it or leave it.

Human Resources Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at US National Archives and Records Administration (Saint Louis, MO) in June 2014.

Interview

Had a pleasant interview, but was rejected in short order. I had a 10 point hiring preference, but they didn't seem to consider it. Seemed to be a lock for the job until the end.

Interview Questions

• General, run of the mill questions: e.g., "Tell me about a time when you provided excellent customer service." "Tell me about a time when you dealt with a difficult coworker."   Answer Question

Archives Aid Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US National Archives and Records Administration (Saint Louis, MO).

Interview

One on one basic interview questions. Not tough at all. Followed by a physical test of climbing a ladder to find records. A skills test of numerical and alphabetical ordering

Interview Questions

• what kind of person are you? How well do you work with others? What are your aspirations within this company? What would you do if you noticed an employee doing something wrong?   Answer Question

Archives Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in College Park, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US National Archives and Records Administration (College Park, MD) in June 2012.

Interview

I was placed into the archives through the Federal Work-Study Program at my school. I sent in a resume to apply for a position as an archives technician. I didn't hear from them for several weeks, but then they called me to come in for an interview and I was hired that day. They had a lot of students working there, so they were very flexible about working hours.

Archives Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US National Archives and Records Administration (Fort Worth, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

They will ask about your record keeping experience, how you dealt with problems, computer use...they ask you office type questions but don't be fooled you will NOT be in a office like they lead you to believe as a Archives Technician...you will be a production worker pulling files for the IRS section out in extremely hot bays (that are a lot of times hotter than being outside) but the winter time is nice and cool but not cold. There is a Physical Assessment Test as part of your hiring process.

Interview Questions

• How much experience do you have working with computers?   1 Answer

Student Employee Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US National Archives and Records Administration in January 2009.

Interview

interview process was piece of cake.

talked to a man for about 30 minutes about my resume and my transcript. then he showed me around the place.

got the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

none