US National Archives and Records Administration Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 23, 2017

1.6

Interviews for Top Jobs at US National Archives and Records Administration

Archives Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US National Archives and Records Administration in October 2015.

Interview

I filled out a online application, was referred, then was called for an interview. The interview was friendly and painless. There were three people on the panel who asked very typical questions.

Archives Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US National Archives and Records Administration in April 2016.

Interview

Panel interview over the phone. Main interviewer was very friendly and forthcoming. Each person interviewing asked me a question, and there were about 5 in total. The questions were supposedly standard ones asked by every government agency and revolved around gauging your customer service experience. The interview lasted for about 30 minutes including several questions I asked myself.

Interview Questions

• What experience has prepared you for this role? Describe a time you had to deal with a difficult customer and how was the problem resolved? Was there ever a time where you disagreed with you supervisor and how did you resolve the problem? Describe your technical and computer skills?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in College Park, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US National Archives and Records Administration (College Park, MD) in June 2012.

Interview

I was placed into the archives through the Federal Work-Study Program at my school. I sent in a resume to apply for a position as an archives technician. I didn't hear from them for several weeks, but then they called me to come in for an interview and I was hired that day. They had a lot of students working there, so they were very flexible about working hours.

Archived Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US National Archives and Records Administration (Dayton, OH) in March 2015.

Interview

You will be required to take a test that measures if you can carry boxes that weigh between 15-25 pounds. You have to retrieve the boxes several times. The interview process was with the Lead Supervisor and then with an interviewer. The whole process took about 2 hours.

Archives Aid Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US National Archives and Records Administration (Saint Louis, MO).

Interview

One on one basic interview questions. Not tough at all. Followed by a physical test of climbing a ladder to find records. A skills test of numerical and alphabetical ordering

Interview Questions

• what kind of person are you? How well do you work with others? What are your aspirations within this company? What would you do if you noticed an employee doing something wrong?   Answer Question

Archives Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US National Archives and Records Administration.

Interview

Easy interview, no hard questions, panel interview, lasted about 30 minutes. Most of the questions asked about work behavior and customer service. It takes Federal HR a very long time to get back to you, so expect a 3-6 week wait. They are very slow.

Student Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US National Archives and Records Administration (Dayton, OH) in March 2014.

Interview

Apply online through usajobs.gov..receive phone call from HR to set up an interview/physical test. Eventually meet with staff and supervisor, and have a 1 on 1 interview. Followed by a physical test that is timed to see how efficiently you can retrieve files from the ground or using a ladder.

Interview Questions

• Was asked to run through a series of test to see how I would handle retrieving files up and down ladders. Some weighing in excess of 40-50lbs.   1 Answer

Human Resources Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at US National Archives and Records Administration (Saint Louis, MO) in June 2014.

Interview

Had a pleasant interview, but was rejected in short order. I had a 10 point hiring preference, but they didn't seem to consider it. Seemed to be a lock for the job until the end.

Interview Questions

• General, run of the mill questions: e.g., "Tell me about a time when you provided excellent customer service." "Tell me about a time when you dealt with a difficult coworker."   Answer Question

Archives Aid Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US National Archives and Records Administration (Fort Worth, TX) in May 2011.

Interview

Apply at USAjobs.gov only. I was selected from over 250 applicants so you need a Relevant killer resume. Formal interview wasn't really required for a box mover position which is what the T & D Department aids do all day, all month, all year long. The hiring manager shared in 2013 they aren't looking to hire anymore aids - that GS-4 technician will be minimum sought. We work with temp labor help, but they can't apply so we are losing them after a year with us per contract and many are starting to get hired elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• Is there any reason why you can't climb ladders carrying 40 pound boxes to shelve or unshelve?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The government has a set starting rate in each grade so negotiation is mostly pointless. Take it or leave it.

Archivist Interview

Interview

For a student position, it was laid back. Five person interview but they were kind and asked why I wanted to work there and then asked if I can handle the labor.