US Navy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 18, 2017

2.2

O3 - Navy - Lieutenant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC) in January 2013.

Interview

Strict for getting into submarines. Have to fly out to DC and go through several technical interviews before finally sitting down with the head of Naval Reactors, one of the highest ranking Navy Admirals. Very stressful but worth it.

Interview Questions

• A balloon is deflating at a rate of 10in^3 per second. Given it's initial volume and surface area, what is the equation to solve for it's surface area at any given time.   Answer Question

Seaman Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US Navy (Philadelphia, PA) in November 2012.

Interview

The Interview was several stages. It included a lot of meet and greets with a recruiter followed by an in depth medical evaluation and lots of paper work and testing. I kid you not when I say my contract was thicker then a phone book.

Interview Questions

• There was not a single difficult question. What made it daunting was just the sheer volume of questions many repeating.   Answer Question

Navy Nuclear Power Officer Candidate Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC) in July 2012.

Interview

After being selected to interview, you first get a phone interview where you have to answer math. physics, etc, problems over the phone, walking the interviewer through your process. If you pass that, they bring you in to DC where you do the same in front of more engineers. Finally, you get an interview with the Admiral who ultimately selects whether or not he wants you in the program (regardless of how well you did or didn't do on the interview). It's a very stressful day with lot's of technical problems

Interview Questions

• You are well briefed on the technical questions. The Admiral can throw in a random question that you aren't expecting. My hardest to explain was why I transferred colleges (but I was prepared for it).   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mechanicsburg, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Navy (Mechanicsburg, PA) in September 2013.

Interview

The interview process is extremely convoluted. Just to even get an interview is an exercise all in itself. Then they have 3 people on a panel and they take notes the entire time. The questions are asked in a way that only a person already in this position would have knowledge of, so you have to do your homework.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have in developing and executing a budget?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. You either get the position or you don't.

Navy SEAL Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at US Navy.

Interview

The interview is the Basic Underwater Demolition School (BUD/S) training pipeline. It consists of three phases over 8 months designed to constantly test mental and physical fortitude, teamwork and character. Trainees are given the option to stop training at any moment. The training course has a 70% attrition rate. Candidates have to meet increasingly more challenging run and swim times as well as perform complex tasks during increasingly stressful environments often perceived as life threatening.

Interview Questions

• Test of character through physical crucibles.   1 Answer

Naval Reactors Technical Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC) in March 2012.

Interview

Three technical interviews with high level technical directors, followed by a personal meeting with the Director of Naval Reactors. Interviews were geared to determine an individuals technical knowledge and gain an understanding of the interviewees thought process. Some interviewers wanted to understand personality while others wanted an understanding to technical ability and knowledge

Interview Questions

• How far would the moon have to be from the earth to result in a complete eclipse?   Answer Question

Navy Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at US Navy.

Interview

Difficult due to the complexity of the process. There are numerous requirements and processes that you need to go through that are not clearly outlined. Additionally you must pass a long series of medical examinations in order to be cleared to enter the service.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to serve your country? What makes you want to be a Naval Officer?   Answer Question

Nuclear Electronics Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Navy (Charleston, SC) in July 2011.

Interview

GED, Test well, DEPS, BOOT Camp, 2 years of training and hand on development, once complete the training and qualifications will continue. There are breaks in between the different phases and you do earn 30 days of leave a year.

Interview Questions

• Written, Oral, and Observation Testing, monthly testing, proficiency training and testing.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at US Navy in February 2011.

Interview

I swore into the Navy under contract. I signed the contract. I sang a hymn. Jumped and yelled, "Golly gee fi fo fum, why haven't I joined yet, oh so so dumb!" They told me to cut my hair, shave my face and to practice real Navy SEAL dead hang pull-ups!

Interview Questions

• Have you ever committed a felony? Can you read and write?   1 Answer

Nuclear Machinist Mate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Caribou, ME

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at US Navy (Caribou, ME) in June 2011.

Interview

ASVAB testings, nuclear power testing, submarine testing and annual reactor safeguard testing. Continuously tested and interviewed for proficiency in either nuclear power, radiological controls, or submarine operations throughout the years. Submarine qualification and nuclear watch station interviews each year and during examination completed by board members.