US Navy Nuclear officer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Navy Nuclear officer Interview Questions

Updated May 22, 2018

3.6

33 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Interview

1. Get accepted into a commissioning program (OCS, ROTC, Naval Academy, NUPOC)
    2. Graduate with a Bachelors degree
    3. Pass interview at Naval Reactors in DC
    3. Complete the training pipeline
    4. Once on a ship or submarine, must complete qualification process while working full time (checkouts on specific ship's systems, operations and casualty procedures)

Interview Questions

• Various collegiate level math/physics/engineering questions in technical interviews (DC)   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC).

Interview

Very technical Naval Reactors interview based in physics, math, and science. Some personality questions to break the ice but almost entirely technical requiring pencil and paper computations, no calculators allowed.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC).

Interview

Interview consists of 2 or 3 roughly hour-long technical interviews examining both your ability to answer fairly basic calculus and physics questions as well as your ability to think on your feet without giving up. After this is a brief interview with the admiral in charge of the Navy Nuclear Propulsion Program. Advice as someone who prepped interviewees: learn principles not problems and NEVER GIVE UP. If you really have no idea then start with F=MA or something equally basic and work from there. If you study enough then you should have an endless arsenal of vaguely related equations or concepts to play with rather than just staring at the paper in panic.

Interview Questions

• 1. Find the volume of this cup on my desk.
      2. Teach me something.
      3. Two people start running at two given rates in opposite directions around a running track. How many times do they pass each other before the faster runner completes 2 miles?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC) in January 2014.

Interview

We are sent to D.C. for a series of technical interviews with Naval Reactors, and then we spend about 2 minutes interviewing with the Admiral to ensure you will fit with the community.

Interview Questions

• A series of calculus and physics problems and some circuit analysis questions in the technical interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC) in December 2014.

Interview

2, 1-hour technical interviews with technical experts. The interview process is more a way to gauge your problem-solving abilities. They will push you until you can't answer to see how you respond to stress.

Interview Questions

• How far will this bouncy ball bounce if I dropped it off this table?   Answer Question

Nuclear Propulsion Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 10+ months. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC) in August 2014.

Interview

Two hour long technical interviews in Washington DC then a 5 minute interview with a 4 star admiral. The interview process is to ensure that you can pass nuclear power school and make sure you have what it takes to become a nuclear propulsion officer.

Interview Questions

• How to calculate various physics and electrical problems.   Answer Question

Nuclear Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC) in February 2017.

Interview

The first Interview I had was on the phone in order to prepare for the interviews that were to come. Once I passed, I was invited to fly to D.C. to continue the interviewing process where I met with 2 different people who previously were in the NUPOC program. Some people who might have messed up in one of their 2 interviews ended up having 3 interviews. At the end, I met with the admiral who made a final decision on whether I was to be hired or not.

Interview Questions

• I was asked several calculus questions (related rates, optimization). There were also a few physics problem that had to do with trajectory. I also had an electrical engineering problem and a problem that involved solving several differential equations in the context of a chemical reaction.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at US Navy.

Interview

2 hour long Tech interviews and 1 short face to face with the director of Navy Nuclear Propulsion. The technical interviews drove my acceptance into the program. This was an all day interview with a study day leading up to the interview. Expenses were paid in Washington D.C.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC).

Interview

1 day at Naval Reactors. Had 2 interviews with Engineers and 1 interview with the Admiral. The Engineers asked technical questions about mathematics and engineering courses I had taken. They were all very careful to make sure I gave my best answer and I did not feel pressed for time. The interview with the Admiral was very quick. He had my transcripts and asked a couple of questions.

Interview Questions

• Explain something interesting from your major.   1 Answer

Navy Nuclear Power Officer Candidate Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC) in July 2012.

Interview

After being selected to interview, you first get a phone interview where you have to answer math. physics, etc, problems over the phone, walking the interviewer through your process. If you pass that, they bring you in to DC where you do the same in front of more engineers. Finally, you get an interview with the Admiral who ultimately selects whether or not he wants you in the program (regardless of how well you did or didn't do on the interview). It's a very stressful day with lot's of technical problems

Interview Questions

• You are well briefed on the technical questions. The Admiral can throw in a random question that you aren't expecting. My hardest to explain was why I transferred colleges (but I was prepared for it).   Answer Question