US Navy Nuclear officer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.6

28 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Nuclear Propulsion Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 10+ months. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC) in August 2014.

Interview

Two hour long technical interviews in Washington DC then a 5 minute interview with a 4 star admiral. The interview process is to ensure that you can pass nuclear power school and make sure you have what it takes to become a nuclear propulsion officer.

Interview Questions

• How to calculate various physics and electrical problems.   Answer Question

Nuclear Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC) in February 2017.

Interview

The first Interview I had was on the phone in order to prepare for the interviews that were to come. Once I passed, I was invited to fly to D.C. to continue the interviewing process where I met with 2 different people who previously were in the NUPOC program. Some people who might have messed up in one of their 2 interviews ended up having 3 interviews. At the end, I met with the admiral who made a final decision on whether I was to be hired or not.

Interview Questions

• I was asked several calculus questions (related rates, optimization). There were also a few physics problem that had to do with trajectory. I also had an electrical engineering problem and a problem that involved solving several differential equations in the context of a chemical reaction.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at US Navy.

Interview

2 hour long Tech interviews and 1 short face to face with the director of Navy Nuclear Propulsion. The technical interviews drove my acceptance into the program. This was an all day interview with a study day leading up to the interview. Expenses were paid in Washington D.C.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC).

Interview

1 day at Naval Reactors. Had 2 interviews with Engineers and 1 interview with the Admiral. The Engineers asked technical questions about mathematics and engineering courses I had taken. They were all very careful to make sure I gave my best answer and I did not feel pressed for time. The interview with the Admiral was very quick. He had my transcripts and asked a couple of questions.

Interview Questions

• Explain something interesting from your major.   1 Answer

Navy Nuclear Power Officer Candidate Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC) in July 2012.

Interview

After being selected to interview, you first get a phone interview where you have to answer math. physics, etc, problems over the phone, walking the interviewer through your process. If you pass that, they bring you in to DC where you do the same in front of more engineers. Finally, you get an interview with the Admiral who ultimately selects whether or not he wants you in the program (regardless of how well you did or didn't do on the interview). It's a very stressful day with lot's of technical problems

Interview Questions

• You are well briefed on the technical questions. The Admiral can throw in a random question that you aren't expecting. My hardest to explain was why I transferred colleges (but I was prepared for it).   Answer Question

Application

Interview

The interview process itself is fairly straight forward: two technical interviews from Naval Reactors engineers and a personal interview with the Admiral. There is a possibility of a third technical interview prior to the Admiral's interview if they want to see more of you. You will be paired with another prospective nuclear officer at the interviews, you'll both interview with an engineer and then switch, so if you want the inside scoop then ask them about their interview while you are waiting around for technical interview #2.

Interview Questions

• Technical interview questions will be based on a curriculum of math, science and engineering you already took in school. Mostly they just want to see that you can reason through a technical problem and show a process for how to solve it. Questions might be luck of the draw, but it seemed that those of us who weren't engineering majors were given easier questions than the engineers.

Whatever you do don't try and b.s. the Admiral, I can almost guarantee that will turn out worse for you than just being straight with him. And be able to talk about whatever answer you give him (what was the last book you read, what's your hobby, what's the deal with your grades, etc.), don't give an answer just because you think it sounds good.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation, but you do sign your paperwork that day for your nuclear accession bonus if you are selected, so that's a win!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

After submitting copious amounts of paperwork and doing a medical examination, there was an initial technical phone interview. If you pass that one, you fly out to Washington DC for ~3 days. The last day is the interview day, where you go through 2+ technical interviews and if you pass those, you get an interview with a 4-star admiral. He gives you the thumbs up or thumbs down. I was given the thumbs down. Even though I was not accepted, I would say this experience was quite valuable and I met a lot of smart people who were more invested than I was.

Interview Questions

• I failed 2/3 interviews, which prompted the Admiral to ask me, why should I make you a sub officer?   2 Answers

Application

Interview

In college, my transcript was submitted to Naval Reactors (NR) in Washington DC for approval. After I was approved, I flew to DC to be interviewed by 2 engineers at NR. After being asked technical questions by 2 engineers, you meet with the 4-star Admiral (currently ADM Caldwell) and he asks you more personal questions -- Why submarines? Why did you get a D in calc? etc. Immediately after meeting with the 4-star, you get approved or rejected.

Interview Questions

• Physics questions on conservation of energy with friction.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC) in July 2016.

Interview

I learned about the program through an NROTC Midshipman on April 2016 and spoke with a recruiter a week later. The application process took approximately four months with plenty of paperwork, studying, and coffee; I went to the VIP trip to San Diego in early June 2016 and had my phone technical interview a week prior to flying out to Washington DC mid-July 2016.

Interview Questions

• Calculate the integral of e^(3x+5)*dx

You are to build a rectangular fence with a wall on one side. You are given 800 feet of fencing. What is the maximum area you can create?

A baseball player hits a baseball with an initial velocity [A] ft/sec with and initial angle [B] degrees. There is a wall [C] feet away and is [D] feet high. Will the baseball player score a home run?

A snowball is melting at a rate of [A] ft^3/sec. When the radius of the snowball is [B] feet, what is the rate at which the radius is changing?

You are an apple farmer. You have 50 apples trees in your orchard and the rate of apple production is currently 800 apples per tree. For every additional apple tree you plant, the rate of apple production decreases by 10 apples/tree. How many apple trees can you plant that will yield the maximum apples per tree?

Find the maxima and minima of a given function.

Given a projectile with an initial velocity 92 ft/sec and a launch angle of 20 degrees, what is the maximum horizontal displacement of the projectile, the maximum vertical displacement of the projectile, and time of flight?

A speeding car has a velocity of 80 mph; suddenly it passes a cop car but does not stop. When the speeding car passes the cop car, the cop immediately accelerates his vehicle from 0 to 90 mph in 4.5 seconds. The cop car has a maximum velocity of 90 mph. At what time does the cop car meet the speeding car and at what distance?

A 15g block is sliding along horizontal plane and is given an initial velocity. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the plane and the block is 0.3. How far does the block travel before coming to a complete stop?

A 15g block with an initial velocity is sliding up an inclined plane that has an angle of 40 degrees. The coefficient of friction between the plane and the block is 0.2. How far does the block travel on the plane before coming to a complete stop?

Do you like to read? What books do you read besides textbooks? (Adm)

Why do you want to be in this program? (Adm)

Tell me about yourself. (Adm)

What things do you like to do outside of school? (Adm)

*When asked a question by the Admiral and you respond with "I do not know, Sir" or "I cannot supply that information at the top of my head, Sir", the Admiral will ask: "What if I told you to supply that information right now?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

2-3 technical interviews with a naval reactors engineer to test your aptitude in math and science. Followed by 1 on 1 interview with admiral who gauges your interest and motivation for the program and in the Navy in general.

Interview Questions

• Estimate the spring constant in a given physics problem.   1 Answer
    • Find the volume of water bottle sitting on this desk.   1 Answer