US Navy Nuclear officer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Navy Nuclear officer Interview Questions

Updated May 3, 2017

3.6

25 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at US Navy.

Interview

2 hour long Tech interviews and 1 short face to face with the director of Navy Nuclear Propulsion. The technical interviews drove my acceptance into the program. This was an all day interview with a study day leading up to the interview. Expenses were paid in Washington D.C.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC).

Interview

1 day at Naval Reactors. Had 2 interviews with Engineers and 1 interview with the Admiral. The Engineers asked technical questions about mathematics and engineering courses I had taken. They were all very careful to make sure I gave my best answer and I did not feel pressed for time. The interview with the Admiral was very quick. He had my transcripts and asked a couple of questions.

Interview Questions

• Explain something interesting from your major.   1 Answer

Navy Nuclear Power Officer Candidate Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC) in July 2012.

Interview

After being selected to interview, you first get a phone interview where you have to answer math. physics, etc, problems over the phone, walking the interviewer through your process. If you pass that, they bring you in to DC where you do the same in front of more engineers. Finally, you get an interview with the Admiral who ultimately selects whether or not he wants you in the program (regardless of how well you did or didn't do on the interview). It's a very stressful day with lot's of technical problems

Interview Questions

• You are well briefed on the technical questions. The Admiral can throw in a random question that you aren't expecting. My hardest to explain was why I transferred colleges (but I was prepared for it).   Answer Question

Application

Interview

The interview process itself is fairly straight forward: two technical interviews from Naval Reactors engineers and a personal interview with the Admiral. There is a possibility of a third technical interview prior to the Admiral's interview if they want to see more of you. You will be paired with another prospective nuclear officer at the interviews, you'll both interview with an engineer and then switch, so if you want the inside scoop then ask them about their interview while you are waiting around for technical interview #2.

Interview Questions

• Technical interview questions will be based on a curriculum of math, science and engineering you already took in school. Mostly they just want to see that you can reason through a technical problem and show a process for how to solve it. Questions might be luck of the draw, but it seemed that those of us who weren't engineering majors were given easier questions than the engineers.

Whatever you do don't try and b.s. the Admiral, I can almost guarantee that will turn out worse for you than just being straight with him. And be able to talk about whatever answer you give him (what was the last book you read, what's your hobby, what's the deal with your grades, etc.), don't give an answer just because you think it sounds good.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation, but you do sign your paperwork that day for your nuclear accession bonus if you are selected, so that's a win!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

After submitting copious amounts of paperwork and doing a medical examination, there was an initial technical phone interview. If you pass that one, you fly out to Washington DC for ~3 days. The last day is the interview day, where you go through 2+ technical interviews and if you pass those, you get an interview with a 4-star admiral. He gives you the thumbs up or thumbs down. I was given the thumbs down. Even though I was not accepted, I would say this experience was quite valuable and I met a lot of smart people who were more invested than I was.

Interview Questions

• I failed 2/3 interviews, which prompted the Admiral to ask me, why should I make you a sub officer?   2 Answers

Application

Interview

In college, my transcript was submitted to Naval Reactors (NR) in Washington DC for approval. After I was approved, I flew to DC to be interviewed by 2 engineers at NR. After being asked technical questions by 2 engineers, you meet with the 4-star Admiral (currently ADM Caldwell) and he asks you more personal questions -- Why submarines? Why did you get a D in calc? etc. Immediately after meeting with the 4-star, you get approved or rejected.

Interview Questions

• Physics questions on conservation of energy with friction.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

2-3 technical interviews with a naval reactors engineer to test your aptitude in math and science. Followed by 1 on 1 interview with admiral who gauges your interest and motivation for the program and in the Navy in general.

Interview Questions

• Estimate the spring constant in a given physics problem.   1 Answer
    • Find the volume of water bottle sitting on this desk.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC) in August 2012.

Interview

The hiring process was indepth background check and thorough interview. During the interview my weaknesses were discussed as well as my strengths and it was not just a priority for the Navy to determine if I would be a great Submarine officer but also if being a Submarine officer was right for me.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC) in September 2012.

Interview

Two technical interviews asking for your response on basic Calculus and Physics problems, followed by one interview by a four star admiral to ensure you'd be a good fit for the nuclear program.

Interview Questions

• Why would you be a good submarine officer? You weren't an engineering major in college. Can you handle the rigor of Nuclear Power School?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC) in June 2015.

Interview

You will take a trip to Naval Reactors in Washington, DC, and interview with some of their Engineers and the Naval Reactors Admiral. There are only two interviews for the technical side. The first one is a random math and physics interview and the second interview is a random college major specific interview. If you fail a technical interview then you will be offered a third interview.

Two Technical Interviews (1: Math, Physics 2: My Electrical Engineering major specific)
    Nuclear Reactor (4-star Admiral) Interview

Interview Questions

• Technical interviews are random math and physics questions. Samples may be found if you search for the "NUPOC Study Guide" in Google.

The Admiral will ask you:
      - Describe a time when you failed
      - Tell me something interesting about yourself
      - What are your hobbies
      - Why do you want nuclear power
      - Describe any failing grades in your transcript and how you overcame them   Answer Question