US Navy Nuclear Submarine Officer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 3, 2017

3.5

19 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Nuclear Submarine Officer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at US Navy.

Interview

2 hour long Tech interviews and 1 short face to face with the director of Navy Nuclear Propulsion. The technical interviews drove my acceptance into the program. This was an all day interview with a study day leading up to the interview. Expenses were paid in Washington D.C.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for US Navy

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC).

Interview

1 day at Naval Reactors. Had 2 interviews with Engineers and 1 interview with the Admiral. The Engineers asked technical questions about mathematics and engineering courses I had taken. They were all very careful to make sure I gave my best answer and I did not feel pressed for time. The interview with the Admiral was very quick. He had my transcripts and asked a couple of questions.

Interview Questions

• Explain something interesting from your major.   1 Answer

Application

Interview

The interview process itself is fairly straight forward: two technical interviews from Naval Reactors engineers and a personal interview with the Admiral. There is a possibility of a third technical interview prior to the Admiral's interview if they want to see more of you. You will be paired with another prospective nuclear officer at the interviews, you'll both interview with an engineer and then switch, so if you want the inside scoop then ask them about their interview while you are waiting around for technical interview #2.

Interview Questions

• Technical interview questions will be based on a curriculum of math, science and engineering you already took in school. Mostly they just want to see that you can reason through a technical problem and show a process for how to solve it. Questions might be luck of the draw, but it seemed that those of us who weren't engineering majors were given easier questions than the engineers.

Whatever you do don't try and b.s. the Admiral, I can almost guarantee that will turn out worse for you than just being straight with him. And be able to talk about whatever answer you give him (what was the last book you read, what's your hobby, what's the deal with your grades, etc.), don't give an answer just because you think it sounds good.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation, but you do sign your paperwork that day for your nuclear accession bonus if you are selected, so that's a win!

Application

Interview

In college, my transcript was submitted to Naval Reactors (NR) in Washington DC for approval. After I was approved, I flew to DC to be interviewed by 2 engineers at NR. After being asked technical questions by 2 engineers, you meet with the 4-star Admiral (currently ADM Caldwell) and he asks you more personal questions -- Why submarines? Why did you get a D in calc? etc. Immediately after meeting with the 4-star, you get approved or rejected.

Interview Questions

• Physics questions on conservation of energy with friction.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

After submitting copious amounts of paperwork and doing a medical examination, there was an initial technical phone interview. If you pass that one, you fly out to Washington DC for ~3 days. The last day is the interview day, where you go through 2+ technical interviews and if you pass those, you get an interview with a 4-star admiral. He gives you the thumbs up or thumbs down. I was given the thumbs down. Even though I was not accepted, I would say this experience was quite valuable and I met a lot of smart people who were more invested than I was.

Interview Questions

• I failed 2/3 interviews, which prompted the Admiral to ask me, why should I make you a sub officer?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC).

Interview

All nuclear officers interview with Naval Reactors. The interviews consist of several basic math and physics questions. You will interview directly at Naval Reactors in Washington DC. Typically, you will interview with at least two NR engineers who set some time aside from their usual work schedules to talk to you. The questions usually involved basic calculus, statics and dynamics, statistics, etc.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to calculate the area of a circle using an integral.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I entered the Navy using the NUPOC program. There are no negotiations.

Application

Interview

You travel to Washington DC to interview with Naval Reactors. Specificallly the head of Naval reactors. You have about 5 minutes to answer any questions Naval Reactors has and convince them you are up for the challenge. It is a little nerve racking prior to going in but it is painless and over very quickly.

Interview Questions

• How do you think you did on your technical interviews   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Interview

2-3 technical screening interviews are conducted by US Naval Reactors engineers at the Washington Navy Yard. A final interview is conducted by the four-star Admiral in charge of Naval Reactors. Based on these interviews and an overall assessment of your application package, you will receive positive or negative confirmation from the Admiral upon completion of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Chemistry, calculus, and engineering questions to determine whether I had the requisite technical knowledge to succeed in the program.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC) in June 2015.

Interview

You will take a trip to Naval Reactors in Washington, DC, and interview with some of their Engineers and the Naval Reactors Admiral. There are only two interviews for the technical side. The first one is a random math and physics interview and the second interview is a random college major specific interview. If you fail a technical interview then you will be offered a third interview.

Two Technical Interviews (1: Math, Physics 2: My Electrical Engineering major specific)
    Nuclear Reactor (4-star Admiral) Interview

Interview Questions

• Technical interviews are random math and physics questions. Samples may be found if you search for the "NUPOC Study Guide" in Google.

The Admiral will ask you:
      - Describe a time when you failed
      - Tell me something interesting about yourself
      - What are your hobbies
      - Why do you want nuclear power
      - Describe any failing grades in your transcript and how you overcame them   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

2-3 technical interviews with a naval reactors engineer to test your aptitude in math and science. Followed by 1 on 1 interview with admiral who gauges your interest and motivation for the program and in the Navy in general.

Interview Questions

• Estimate the spring constant in a given physics problem.   1 Answer
    • Find the volume of water bottle sitting on this desk.   1 Answer