US Navy Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

US Navy Interview Questions in Washington, DC

Updated Apr 18, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC).

Interview

1 day at Naval Reactors. Had 2 interviews with Engineers and 1 interview with the Admiral. The Engineers asked technical questions about mathematics and engineering courses I had taken. They were all very careful to make sure I gave my best answer and I did not feel pressed for time. The interview with the Admiral was very quick. He had my transcripts and asked a couple of questions.

Interview Questions

• Explain something interesting from your major.   1 Answer

Application

Interview

The interview process itself is fairly straight forward: two technical interviews from Naval Reactors engineers and a personal interview with the Admiral. There is a possibility of a third technical interview prior to the Admiral's interview if they want to see more of you. You will be paired with another prospective nuclear officer at the interviews, you'll both interview with an engineer and then switch, so if you want the inside scoop then ask them about their interview while you are waiting around for technical interview #2.

Interview Questions

• Technical interview questions will be based on a curriculum of math, science and engineering you already took in school. Mostly they just want to see that you can reason through a technical problem and show a process for how to solve it. Questions might be luck of the draw, but it seemed that those of us who weren't engineering majors were given easier questions than the engineers.

Whatever you do don't try and b.s. the Admiral, I can almost guarantee that will turn out worse for you than just being straight with him. And be able to talk about whatever answer you give him (what was the last book you read, what's your hobby, what's the deal with your grades, etc.), don't give an answer just because you think it sounds good.
      Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation, but you do sign your paperwork that day for your nuclear accession bonus if you are selected, so that's a win!

Electrician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC).

Interview

ASVAB Test required with a minimum score to apply for job. Job availability was subjective to manning requirements. Right place, right time, right job. This was not a normal job interview as it required way more in-depth personal answers than any other job interview.

Interview Questions

• Criminal and drug history, gang involvement/affiliation, current health standings and physical capability.   1 Answer

Application

Interview

In college, my transcript was submitted to Naval Reactors (NR) in Washington DC for approval. After I was approved, I flew to DC to be interviewed by 2 engineers at NR. After being asked technical questions by 2 engineers, you meet with the 4-star Admiral (currently ADM Caldwell) and he asks you more personal questions -- Why submarines? Why did you get a D in calc? etc. Immediately after meeting with the 4-star, you get approved or rejected.

Interview Questions

• Physics questions on conservation of energy with friction.   1 Answer

Nuclear Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC).

Interview

They fly you to Washington DC where you will get two technical interviews at Naval Reactors, and a third if you don't do well enough. Then you get a short interview with the Admiral in charge of the Navy Nuclear Program. Any course on your college transcript is up for grabs in the technical interviews, so you will want to study those topics prior to.

Interview Questions

• One series of questions I received was about the different interactions that occur in a nuclear reactor.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

After submitting copious amounts of paperwork and doing a medical examination, there was an initial technical phone interview. If you pass that one, you fly out to Washington DC for ~3 days. The last day is the interview day, where you go through 2+ technical interviews and if you pass those, you get an interview with a 4-star admiral. He gives you the thumbs up or thumbs down. I was given the thumbs down. Even though I was not accepted, I would say this experience was quite valuable and I met a lot of smart people who were more invested than I was.

Interview Questions

• I failed 2/3 interviews, which prompted the Admiral to ask me, why should I make you a sub officer?   2 Answers

Application

Interview

All nuclear officers interview with Naval Reactors. The interviews consist of several basic math and physics questions. You will interview directly at Naval Reactors in Washington DC. Typically, you will interview with at least two NR engineers who set some time aside from their usual work schedules to talk to you. The questions usually involved basic calculus, statics and dynamics, statistics, etc.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to calculate the area of a circle using an integral.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I entered the Navy using the NUPOC program. There are no negotiations.

Application

Interview

You travel to Washington DC to interview with Naval Reactors. Specificallly the head of Naval reactors. You have about 5 minutes to answer any questions Naval Reactors has and convince them you are up for the challenge. It is a little nerve racking prior to going in but it is painless and over very quickly.

Interview Questions

• How do you think you did on your technical interviews   1 Answer

Legal Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC) in October 2015.

Interview

Precise and in the interview responsibilities were explained. I was given the opportunity to ask questions. Was asked about my experience and what my responsibilities were in my previous position.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Interview

2-3 technical screening interviews are conducted by US Naval Reactors engineers at the Washington Navy Yard. A final interview is conducted by the four-star Admiral in charge of Naval Reactors. Based on these interviews and an overall assessment of your application package, you will receive positive or negative confirmation from the Admiral upon completion of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Chemistry, calculus, and engineering questions to determine whether I had the requisite technical knowledge to succeed in the program.   Answer Question