US Patent and Trademark Office Interview Questions in Alexandria, VA | Glassdoor

US Patent and Trademark Office Interview Questions in Alexandria, VA

Updated Dec 8, 2016

2.5

Patent Examiner Computer Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in December 2016.

Interview

Webx interview, very relaxed, 35 minutes, prompt. Most on this website reported 4 or 5 standard behavioral questions, but I did not get asked even one of those! I was asked about detailed specifics from my resume, past work experience, and generally about my ability to work under strict deadlines and under pressure and my willingness to work in a very narrow area of technology in two-week review cycles over time. I appreciated the interviewer's candor, she seemed genuinely interested in me as a candidate and put me at ease. Submitted application on 10/5/16, got referred status on 10/27, received request for interview on 12/2, interview on 12/7. Per interviewer, due to holidays, candidates will not know of selection until second or third week of January 2017 for a early February class. <sigh> Be prepared to identify very specific technology areas of interest; the Candidate questionnare sent with the interview request was not nearly specific enough.

Interview Questions

• How do you think you would respond if, initially, you worked hard on a task and yet your superiors repeatedly asked you to redo and rewrite, would you be frustrated by this?   83 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

Applied online. Was contacted for an interview about a month and a half later. Interview started with a written test (three questions in 15 minutes). Test involved visual comparison of two objects and the ability to describe the differences and similarities in writing. Other two questions were spatial reasoning questions. Followed by an interview with a panel of three. Questions asked were almost all ones that were mentioned on other Glassdoor.com reviews. Whole thing lasted about an hour. Heard from the office within a week and a half.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had to admit you were wrong? Give a specific example.   Answer Question
    • Explain the design Patent process.   Answer Question
    • Have you ever had to complete multiple tasks at the same time? How did you prioritize your time?   3 Answers

Patent Examiner ­ Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online through USAJOBS.GOV 8/12/2016. Got an email 8/26 saying qualifications met. Got another email 9/2 that I was being referred to selecting official. On 9/12 I got the interview invitational email telling me the date of the interview. Had my interview this morning and I guess it went okay. Questions similar to what everyone had on here already. Guess time will tell if I get an offer. I will adjust this if I get an offer in a few weeks... or not.

Interview Questions

• Multiple tasks with all the same priority and same deadline, how do you prioritize to make sure all get completed.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

You begin by applying to the USAJOBS.GOV, after the applications are reviewed by HR, after if you are lucky they will pick you for a phone interview with a supervisor where they asked very simple questions (behavioral type interview). The main thing is to ask questions and find out if that is something you want to do. It's not like any job you will have as an Engineer. Process might take one to 3 months. Very easy interview.

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

30 minute Powerpoint presentation with a manager and prospective hires. Afterwards, a 15 minute face to face interview with an HR manager which is a quick review of your KSAs you submitted to USAjobs. Very straight forward to the point.

Interview Questions

• If I had any preferences for art area?   3 Answers

Patent Examiner Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

Straightforward, standard questions posted numerous times elsewhere on Glassdoor (how do you handle deadlines, describe a technical research project, etc.). Conducted by a Supervisory Examiner. The comments from the interview will be added to a central database that other SPEs can choose from.

Interview Questions

• If given four projects of equal importance with the same due date, what would you do. Be specific   253 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in May 2016.

Interview

They start off with a visual exercise and give you 15 minutes to complete. First part asks you look at a 3D shape that has edges missing in two different views. You have to complete the sides/edges that are missing.

Second part asks you to describe two different objects - to talk about how they are similar and about how they are different.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when something was hard for your to do and how did you go about figuring it out?   Answer Question
    • Talk about how you were asked to do something that was difficult for your to do and you did it and it didn't turn out the way you thought it would (as in it went really bad)   Answer Question
    • How would your manager, etc describe you - the kind of person you are   Answer Question
    • Questions about weaknesses and strengths I think   Answer Question

Application

Interview

It spanned one hour in duration. The first 15 minutes (timed) was dedicated to a visual/spatial relation analysis as well as a handwritten section (writing in complete, detailed sentences) wherein you had to compare/contrast two objects. The latter portion of the interview involved a Q/A session beginning with the panel of four supervisors asking you specific questions focusing on how you behaviorally respond to pressure and deadline situations, and finishing with you being able to counter-interview the panel about job specifics.

Interview Questions

• Has there been a time when you had to go outside your skill and knowledge set in order to analyze or solve/negotiate a situation? The answer does not have to involve a work-related experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online, about a month after submissions were closed I was notified by email I was selected for interview.

Interview was 1 week later. Was called by phone, webcam was optional. Interviewer introduced himself and the USPTO, asked 4 basic personality/behavioral questions, and then let me ask a few questions. Have good thoughtful questions ready that show you want to work there long term.

Got tentative offer with starting salary by email about a month later. Unfortunately had to turn down because I had already accepted another job.

Interview Questions

• All the questions are on here already:
      Name a time you had to persuade someone in writing or verbally.
      Name a time you had to gather/research literature for a project and any difficulties you had.
      Name a time you had to complete a project in short notice.
      How do you take criticism?
      4 Answers

Application

Interview

Questions were exactly what has already been posted on glassdoor. Interview was very easy and seemed to flow naturally. The person interviewing me was very nice. I was asked when I could start and also why I was interested in the job. They also stressed to make sure I knew exactly what the job entails so be sure and watch the video they send to prepare for the interview.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had a deadline to meet and what did you do to achieve your goal. Name a time when you received constructive criticism and how did you handle it. If you have multiple projects with a similar deadline how do you solve them.   9 Answers