US Patent and Trademark Office Interview Questions in Alexandria, VA | Glassdoor

US Patent and Trademark Office Interview Questions in Alexandria, VA

Updated Jan 5, 2018

2.5

81 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

I applied through usajobs and they look my application if the qualifications are met, then refer to the selecting official and do the interview, these process took almost 5 weeks

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

I applied online via USAJobs. I heard back about two weeks later that my application met baseline criteria. Two weeks after that, I received an email about when I would have an online video interview. The interview was straightforward and relaxed. He asked three scenario-based questions and took notes on my responses. He then explained some background about the USPTO and being a patent examiner. Overall, it was a good experience.

Interview Questions

• Questions were similar to others posted on here.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in November 2017.

Interview

I applied to all 3 open ME patent examiner positions - San Jose, Denver, Alexandria. Announcement closed 10/23/2017. Interview was scheduled for 11/28/2017. I received the selection notice with tentative offer for Alexandria location on 12/15/2017 (Friday evening), along with background check form. I assume it was for Alexandria position because I live in DC area (Arlington, VA). I haven't received official offer yet but the email on 12/15/2017 literally said (paraphrasing), "Congratulations, you were selected for position in Alexandria, VA location. You will receive official offer from HR services shortly and other information to move forward."

It is 12/18/2017 today (Monday afternoon).

**UPDATE** I was given a more formal offer on 12/19/2017 with report date and GS-7 Step 10 with corresponding salary.**

I emailed interviewer morning of interview and asked if interview was by phone or web. He told me whatever I preferred. I told him phone. I did all of this before interview to make sure there was no confusion (plenty of examples of confusion with the WebEx interviews here on Glassdoor.) I logged onto the Webex interview he sent me the prior day and chose phone selection and covered my camera on my laptop just in case. We started interview exactly on time. I felt that was important so it doesn't start the interview off on the wrong foot. I feel it's common sense but you should see how many reviewers on here didn't start their interview on the right foot.

Interview was exact 4 questions I was prepared for (thanks reviews on Glassdoor). I had my answers pre-written for interview, which made it easy. I also made sure to incorporate my technical skills in my answers.

Make sure your answers are specific. For my first interview last year I prepared detailed, yet vague answers. After each answer, the interviewer told me to give specific examples, so I floundered more than I intended. I didn't get the job that time but I feel it had more to do with the fact that they were looking for a start date of September, yet I wasn't set for graduation until December. She told me that wouldn't work, yet still proceeded with the interview.

Back to the current interview: After I answered the 4 questions, interviewer proceeded to tell me about the job, benefits, biweekly production quota. He asked me what art unit I'd like to be in (where my interest lies withing the Mechanical Engineering field), when my availability is, and what my salary expectations are (which I said "commensurate with my education and experience, yet I looked online at pay scale and I am satisfied with it.")

After that, I gave about a 5-minute speech on how long I've wanted this job, how passionate I am about the position, and well-suited I am for the position, and the how well the position is suited for me (all true).

They want people that won't leave after a year, so you have to show them that.

About my resume (hiring selectors look at you resume, not just your interview results; the interviewer is NOT the one that looks you over for hire.):

B.S. Mech. Eng.
    Top 20 Engineering University in the country - 3.6 GPA
    2 ME internships
    1 ME job after college
    2 ME activities - 1 personal hobby, 1 college group project.
    1 volunteer activity

Negotiation

N/A. Can't negotiate salary, nor art unit.

Application

Interview

I applied online through us-job . It took 2 weeks to review my application, other 2 weeks to select people for interview. Need to take 2 more weeks to get final decision from uspto office. The total process will take 6-7 weeks.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle the multi-tasks with the same high priority?   Answer Question

Junior Patent Examiner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in November 2017.

Interview

I applied for the patent examiner positions in September 2017 and was referred to selecting officials in November 2017. I got an interview about 1-2 weeks after being referred to selecting officials. The interviewer was very nice and asked mainly behavior questions, questions about your resume, and what areas you are interested in. When we were done with the interview questions, my interviewer went over the training process with me as well as asked if I had any questions. I think it was very important to demonstrate knowledge of the patent examiner position during the interview. Offers were extended in December 2017.

Interview Questions

• What technology areas at the USPTO are you interested in examining in?   Answer Question

N/A Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in November 2017.

Interview

Job Announcement Closed end of October 2017. Notification of first interview 10 day later. Interview the following week. Typical interview questions. Second interview 2 weeks later. This one was substantially more difficult. Request for references was approximately 1.5 weeks later. Tentative Offer almost 2 weeks later. 3 weeks from tentative offer to final offer, which was used to do a suitability determination

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a customer question that is complex and needs to be answered quickly?   Answer Question

Patent Examiner Computer Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in December 2016.

Interview

Webx interview, very relaxed, 35 minutes, prompt. Most on this website reported 4 or 5 standard behavioral questions, but I did not get asked even one of those! I was asked about detailed specifics from my resume, past work experience, and generally about my ability to work under strict deadlines and under pressure and my willingness to work in a very narrow area of technology in two-week review cycles over time. I appreciated the interviewer's candor, she seemed genuinely interested in me as a candidate and put me at ease. Submitted application on 10/5/16, got referred status on 10/27, received request for interview on 12/2, interview on 12/7. Per interviewer, due to holidays, candidates will not know of selection until second or third week of January 2017 for a early February class. <sigh> Be prepared to identify very specific technology areas of interest; the Candidate questionnare sent with the interview request was not nearly specific enough.

Interview Questions

• How do you think you would respond if, initially, you worked hard on a task and yet your superiors repeatedly asked you to redo and rewrite, would you be frustrated by this?   83 Answers

Design Patent Examiner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

Applied online. Was contacted for an interview about a month and a half later. Interview started with a written test (three questions in 15 minutes). Test involved visual comparison of two objects and the ability to describe the differences and similarities in writing. Other two questions were spatial reasoning questions. Followed by an interview with a panel of three. Questions asked were almost all ones that were mentioned on other Glassdoor.com reviews. Whole thing lasted about an hour. Heard from the office within a week and a half.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had to admit you were wrong? Give a specific example.   Answer Question
    • Explain the design Patent process.   Answer Question
    • Have you ever had to complete multiple tasks at the same time? How did you prioritize your time?   3 Answers

Patent Examiner ­ Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online through USAJOBS.GOV 8/12/2016. Got an email 8/26 saying qualifications met. Got another email 9/2 that I was being referred to selecting official. On 9/12 I got the interview invitational email telling me the date of the interview. Had my interview this morning and I guess it went okay. Questions similar to what everyone had on here already. Guess time will tell if I get an offer. I will adjust this if I get an offer in a few weeks... or not.

Interview Questions

• Multiple tasks with all the same priority and same deadline, how do you prioritize to make sure all get completed.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

You begin by applying to the USAJOBS.GOV, after the applications are reviewed by HR, after if you are lucky they will pick you for a phone interview with a supervisor where they asked very simple questions (behavioral type interview). The main thing is to ask questions and find out if that is something you want to do. It's not like any job you will have as an Engineer. Process might take one to 3 months. Very easy interview.