US Patent and Trademark Office Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Patent and Trademark Office Interview Questions

Updated Apr 27, 2017

2.4

Patent Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office.

Interview

Applied online, after about 2 weeks, I got an email for an online/phone interview. They asked typical behavioral questions. It's was a very simple process, but it seems like the interview did not matter if you were selected or not in the end.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle multiple tasks of similar importance that would be due at the same time?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever had to deal with someone that was hard to work with?   Answer Question

Patent Examiner Computer Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in December 2016.

Interview

Webx interview, very relaxed, 35 minutes, prompt. Most on this website reported 4 or 5 standard behavioral questions, but I did not get asked even one of those! I was asked about detailed specifics from my resume, past work experience, and generally about my ability to work under strict deadlines and under pressure and my willingness to work in a very narrow area of technology in two-week review cycles over time. I appreciated the interviewer's candor, she seemed genuinely interested in me as a candidate and put me at ease. Submitted application on 10/5/16, got referred status on 10/27, received request for interview on 12/2, interview on 12/7. Per interviewer, due to holidays, candidates will not know of selection until second or third week of January 2017 for a early February class. <sigh> Be prepared to identify very specific technology areas of interest; the Candidate questionnare sent with the interview request was not nearly specific enough.

Interview Questions

• How do you think you would respond if, initially, you worked hard on a task and yet your superiors repeatedly asked you to redo and rewrite, would you be frustrated by this?   83 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Fairfax, VA) in December 2016.

Interview

5 Personality Questions
    Used the WebX conference program with a current supervisory patent examiner and interview lasted about 1 hour. Did not few very personal but felt as he was reading directly from a script.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to do a lot of research   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to be very persuasive about something   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had an assignment due within a short period of time   Answer Question

Patent Examiner (Mechanical Engineer) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Dallas, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

So I applied on USA JOBS deadline was October, 1 month later I get an email saying my application is being referred to a select official. A week Later I get an invitation for a webex, for an interview. That was Last week, and now I am waiting for getting a decision (Likely 2 weeks). I want to stress the person who interviews you isn't the one making the choice, they are recording answers and are then send to HR to be rated. If you are rated good you will get the job. Kinda funny because if your interviewer doesn't write good notes, then you will be rejected.

Interview Questions

• Explained what job entails, and the same 4 questions everyone posts here. They are filling out a form so it is standard procedure.   4 Answers

Patent Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in November 2016.

Interview

I met with some representatives at a University career fair and submitted an application online. There was one 30 minute phone interview. I interviewed for the Dallas office, but was also selected for an interview at the Alexandria office. I completed one phone interview and my responses were used for both offices.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to persuade a supervisor of something.
      Have you ever had to research a project that you didn't know anything about, how did you go about doing it?
      If you have 4 projects of equal importance with similar deadlines, how would you get them done?
      Name a time when you were given a task with a short turn around time.   Answer Question

Patent Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in October 2016.

Interview

Basic application on USA jobs. Then if you are selected for an interview, you will be asked 4 questions. The USPTO asks the same 4 questions every interview, so if you are able to find them then you should be able to answer everything.

Patent Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office.

Interview

An email was sent to confirm interview date. Can chose between phone or webcam interview. he/she asks same questions everyone else has mentioned. Very friendly and supportive. They tell you about the position and what you'll do.

Design Patent Examiner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

Applied online. Was contacted for an interview about a month and a half later. Interview started with a written test (three questions in 15 minutes). Test involved visual comparison of two objects and the ability to describe the differences and similarities in writing. Other two questions were spatial reasoning questions. Followed by an interview with a panel of three. Questions asked were almost all ones that were mentioned on other Glassdoor.com reviews. Whole thing lasted about an hour. Heard from the office within a week and a half.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had to admit you were wrong? Give a specific example.   Answer Question
    • Explain the design Patent process.   Answer Question
    • Have you ever had to complete multiple tasks at the same time? How did you prioritize your time?   3 Answers

Patent Examiner ­ Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online through USAJOBS.GOV 8/12/2016. Got an email 8/26 saying qualifications met. Got another email 9/2 that I was being referred to selecting official. On 9/12 I got the interview invitational email telling me the date of the interview. Had my interview this morning and I guess it went okay. Questions similar to what everyone had on here already. Guess time will tell if I get an offer. I will adjust this if I get an offer in a few weeks... or not.

Interview Questions

• Multiple tasks with all the same priority and same deadline, how do you prioritize to make sure all get completed.   1 Answer

Patent Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office.

Interview

First I applied on USA jobs. Then I waited about a month and got a phone interview with a supervisory patent examiner. I found out through email that I was not selected for the position.

Interview Questions

• Not difficult. Just general behavioral questions.   1 Answer