US Patent and Trademark Office Examiner Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Patent and Trademark Office Examiner Interview Questions

Updated Apr 17, 2017

2.3

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

You begin by applying to the USAJOBS.GOV, after the applications are reviewed by HR, after if you are lucky they will pick you for a phone interview with a supervisor where they asked very simple questions (behavioral type interview). The main thing is to ask questions and find out if that is something you want to do. It's not like any job you will have as an Engineer. Process might take one to 3 months. Very easy interview.

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

30 minute Powerpoint presentation with a manager and prospective hires. Afterwards, a 15 minute face to face interview with an HR manager which is a quick review of your KSAs you submitted to USAjobs. Very straight forward to the point.

Interview Questions

• If I had any preferences for art area?   3 Answers

Patent Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in July 2016.

Interview

Had a phone interview that lasted approximately one hour. Interview questions were straight forward and I was encouraged to ask as many questions as I needed/wanted to. I was given information in regards to training, production expectations, and the option of being able to work from home once you're eligible.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in being a Patent Examiner?   4 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (San Jose, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Interview Process was via Webex, had some trouble with the audio so I called the interviewer phone number. The interview is about 30 min and first were some job experience questions as well as academic background. The she went ahead and ask behavioral questions - the questions are the ones posted.

Interview Questions

• If you had multiple tasks that are due on the same date, what approach you would take to complete them?
      Name one situation when you received good criticism, and how did you assimilated it.
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Dallas, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

Discussed the job environment, pay, commission; asked what I was interested in; asked 4 basic questions;

I have not received an offer yet but according to other interviewers, it takes a month to receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you were given constructive criticism and how did you handle it?   2 Answers

Patent Examiner (Mechanical Engineer) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

Interview

- Applied via USAJOBS
    - Interview 1 month after closing date, lasted about 40 minutes
    - Job offer 3 weeks after interview

Advice : Prepare to ask the interviewer at least a couple of questions that will convey your interest in the position, and when describing your experiences, make sure you are highlighting the positives that your individual efforts affected. They value integrity and motivation to learn very highly, so if you bring these attributes to the table, make sure they know it.

Interview Questions

• 4 questions
      - time you received criticism and how you handled it
      - describe research projects you have had
      - describe a time you had to persuade someone in writing or verbally
      - If given 4 projects at once with the same due date, how would you go about handling them
      2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (San Jose, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

I interviewed online. The process followed the timeline exactly. The video was not optional as was stated in the email. The SPE said I would hear back in 3 weeks or less and that I had her highest recommendation. The SPE was very positive. I heard back in 4 weeks and did not get an offer.

Interview Questions

• The questions were the same as what were posted by other users.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Dallas, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

I did interview on phone because webcam didn't work. They asked same questions on site. Easy interview. One on One interview.asked about 4 or 5 questions.I got rejection email about 7 weeks later for both GS 7/9 position.

Patent Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in July 2016.

Interview

Behavioral interview on the phone (Webcam didn't work properly). Very nice and friendly. Interviewer basically asked about my experiences on my resume. Once he asked the basic behavioral interview questions he proceeded to talk about the training process.
    Impression:
    Overall an easy, relaxed interview. I feel would have a much better chance of getting the position if I told them I could relocate within 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?
      Tell me about experience x?
      How soon can you relocate?
      1 Answer

Patent Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in July 2016.

Interview

Received an interview for the Biomedical San Jose Patent Examiner position after about a month from the closing date in June. Interview was conducted via WebEx and lasted about 30 minutes. Questions were posted on here previously and can be researched beforehand. Received not selected notice for the position in August.