US Patent and Trademark Office Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Patent and Trademark Office Interview Questions

Updated Oct 10, 2017

2.4

Patent Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in July 2016.

Interview

Received an interview for the Biomedical San Jose Patent Examiner position after about a month from the closing date in June. Interview was conducted via WebEx and lasted about 30 minutes. Questions were posted on here previously and can be researched beforehand. Received not selected notice for the position in August.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (San Francisco, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview process is online via a program with webcam, which they ask you couple questions. If the microphone doesn't work through the online chat program, they will call you instead. I don't remember the questions exactly, so I just put one that I remember the most. Other questions from other reviewers are pretty legit.

Interview Questions

• If there are multiple tasks due at the time, how do you overcome/deal with them?   Answer Question

Patent Examiner Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Dallas, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

Easy- asked basic behavioral questions already mentioned in previous reviews. Long process. it took about 2-3 months. applied via USA jobs, Received confirmation of receipt , and was my application was transferred to referring official, who set up skype interview. We were not able to do the skype interview so they just asked if it was okay to have a phone interview.

Patent Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office.

Interview

Just a phone interview with a supervisor, he didn't even bother with the video. Very straight forward, no technical questions just 5 of the behavioral questions posted in other reviews here.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had to research a project that you didn't know anything about, how did you go about doing it?
      Tell me about a time you had to persuade someone in writing or verbally?
      Give me an example of a time that you received constructive criticism and how did you take it?
      If you have 4 projects of equal importance with similar deadlines how would you get them done?
      Tell me about a time you had to complete a task quickly?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (San Antonio, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

Applied online and received an email asking for an online interview about two weeks later. The interview was supposed to be via webcam, but the interviewer's camera wasn't working at the time. Interviewer was very nice, but didn't seem to understand some of the projects I had worked on. I only had one interview, but then didn't hear back until a month later.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had to do extensive research on a project, and how did you go about the research?
      How do you handle criticism?
      How do you prioritize tasks if they all have the same deadlines?
      What department would you be most interested in working in?   Answer Question

Patent Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office.

Interview

I went to an open interview with many other candidates and was interviewed directly by my potential supervisor. This was straight out of college. We went over some analytical skills, GPA, scientific writing samples I brought.

Interview Questions

• went over some of my scientific writing.   3 Answers

Patent Examiner Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

Straightforward, standard questions posted numerous times elsewhere on Glassdoor (how do you handle deadlines, describe a technical research project, etc.). Conducted by a Supervisory Examiner. The comments from the interview will be added to a central database that other SPEs can choose from.

Interview Questions

• If given four projects of equal importance with the same due date, what would you do. Be specific   253 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (San Diego, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Two parts: visual and writing exercises and a panel interview.

There were two exercises, one where you looked at a perspective drawing of an object and filled in missing lines on oblique views of the same object. The second exercise included photos of two objects and you had to write a description of how the objects were similar and different.

The panel interview involved three people (though one didn't ever talk). After they mentioned that the interview was time limited (45 minutes), they only asked 3 or 4 questions—making a great effort not to ramble on in my responses, we have 25 minutes left at the end.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you encountered a complicated problem.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in May 2016.

Interview

They start off with a visual exercise and give you 15 minutes to complete. First part asks you look at a 3D shape that has edges missing in two different views. You have to complete the sides/edges that are missing.

Second part asks you to describe two different objects - to talk about how they are similar and about how they are different.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when something was hard for your to do and how did you go about figuring it out?   Answer Question
    • Talk about how you were asked to do something that was difficult for your to do and you did it and it didn't turn out the way you thought it would (as in it went really bad)   Answer Question
    • How would your manager, etc describe you - the kind of person you are   Answer Question
    • Questions about weaknesses and strengths I think   Answer Question

Application

Interview

It spanned one hour in duration. The first 15 minutes (timed) was dedicated to a visual/spatial relation analysis as well as a handwritten section (writing in complete, detailed sentences) wherein you had to compare/contrast two objects. The latter portion of the interview involved a Q/A session beginning with the panel of four supervisors asking you specific questions focusing on how you behaviorally respond to pressure and deadline situations, and finishing with you being able to counter-interview the panel about job specifics.

Interview Questions

• Has there been a time when you had to go outside your skill and knowledge set in order to analyze or solve/negotiate a situation? The answer does not have to involve a work-related experience.   Answer Question