US Patent and Trademark Office Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Patent and Trademark Office Interview Questions

Updated Feb 9, 2017

2.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (San Francisco, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview process is online via a program with webcam, which they ask you couple questions. If the microphone doesn't work through the online chat program, they will call you instead. I don't remember the questions exactly, so I just put one that I remember the most. Other questions from other reviewers are pretty legit.

Interview Questions

• If there are multiple tasks due at the time, how do you overcome/deal with them?   Answer Question

Patent Examiner Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Dallas, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

Easy- asked basic behavioral questions already mentioned in previous reviews. Long process. it took about 2-3 months. applied via USA jobs, Received confirmation of receipt , and was my application was transferred to referring official, who set up skype interview. We were not able to do the skype interview so they just asked if it was okay to have a phone interview.

Patent Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office.

Interview

Just a phone interview with a supervisor, he didn't even bother with the video. Very straight forward, no technical questions just 5 of the behavioral questions posted in other reviews here.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had to research a project that you didn't know anything about, how did you go about doing it?
      Tell me about a time you had to persuade someone in writing or verbally?
      Give me an example of a time that you received constructive criticism and how did you take it?
      If you have 4 projects of equal importance with similar deadlines how would you get them done?
      Tell me about a time you had to complete a task quickly?
      Answer Question

Patent Examiner Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

Straightforward, standard questions posted numerous times elsewhere on Glassdoor (how do you handle deadlines, describe a technical research project, etc.). Conducted by a Supervisory Examiner. The comments from the interview will be added to a central database that other SPEs can choose from.

Interview Questions

• If given four projects of equal importance with the same due date, what would you do. Be specific   253 Answers

Patent Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office.

Interview

I went to an open interview with many other candidates and was interviewed directly by my potential supervisor. This was straight out of college. We went over some analytical skills, GPA, scientific writing samples I brought.

Interview Questions

• went over some of my scientific writing.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (San Diego, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Two parts: visual and writing exercises and a panel interview.

There were two exercises, one where you looked at a perspective drawing of an object and filled in missing lines on oblique views of the same object. The second exercise included photos of two objects and you had to write a description of how the objects were similar and different.

The panel interview involved three people (though one didn't ever talk). After they mentioned that the interview was time limited (45 minutes), they only asked 3 or 4 questions—making a great effort not to ramble on in my responses, we have 25 minutes left at the end.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you encountered a complicated problem.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in May 2016.

Interview

They start off with a visual exercise and give you 15 minutes to complete. First part asks you look at a 3D shape that has edges missing in two different views. You have to complete the sides/edges that are missing.

Second part asks you to describe two different objects - to talk about how they are similar and about how they are different.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when something was hard for your to do and how did you go about figuring it out?   Answer Question
    • Talk about how you were asked to do something that was difficult for your to do and you did it and it didn't turn out the way you thought it would (as in it went really bad)   Answer Question
    • How would your manager, etc describe you - the kind of person you are   Answer Question
    • Questions about weaknesses and strengths I think   Answer Question

Application

Interview

It spanned one hour in duration. The first 15 minutes (timed) was dedicated to a visual/spatial relation analysis as well as a handwritten section (writing in complete, detailed sentences) wherein you had to compare/contrast two objects. The latter portion of the interview involved a Q/A session beginning with the panel of four supervisors asking you specific questions focusing on how you behaviorally respond to pressure and deadline situations, and finishing with you being able to counter-interview the panel about job specifics.

Interview Questions

• Has there been a time when you had to go outside your skill and knowledge set in order to analyze or solve/negotiate a situation? The answer does not have to involve a work-related experience.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineering Patent Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office.

Interview

The interview process is very mechanistic and over the phone. I was merely sent an email to inform me that I had an interview and the time i.e. they didn't even try to find a time that might have been best for me. From the start they tell you that they will be asking a certain set of questions and that you will only be assessed based off of those questions. The interview is purely behavioral and no technical questions were asked. This was for an entry level patent examiner.

Interview Questions

• Describe an occasion when you had to multitask (or something similar)   Answer Question

Patent Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office.

Interview

They use a system called WebEx and a Senior Level Patent Examiner reads from his/or her list of 5 interview questions. Then I asked followup questions such as how long the process will take (approx 4 additional weeks).

Interview Questions

• Questions about prioritizing tasks and managing time. Questions were basically same as others listed on here.   2 Answers