US Patent and Trademark Office Junior Patent Examiner Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Patent and Trademark Office Junior Patent Examiner Interview Questions

2.6

Junior Patent Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office.

Interview

very straightforward; on campus interview; interviewed by 2 supervisors; around five questions; they may ask what GS level you want to come in depending on your background (I would suggest the lower GS level (even if you have a MS/PhD) that way your production requirement won't be difficult when you are just starting out. If you don't make your numbers in the first year, most likely, you won't be retained.

Interview Questions

• what does the PTO actually do; how do you handle deadlines and difficult clients etc..   1 Answer

Negotiation

No. GS levels are strict

Other Interview Reviews for US Patent and Trademark Office

Junior Patent Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online, selected for an interview and had a 30 minute interview over skype. After a week or so, I received an email with an offer, followed by a phone call from the HR.

Interview Questions

• Very vague questions about giving an example of a time when "such and such". For example, "tell me about a time when you had multiple deadlines for different projects, how did you handle this and what was the outcome."   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

Video conference that lasted about 30 minutes. Just the standard questions that most companies ask college students. What projects/groups did you participate in college. Do I have any previous work experience and what was it. Why did I apply to the Patent Office and where do I expect to see myself in 5/10 years etc. Very relaxed, straightforward and easy interview.

Interview Questions

• What made you decide to work for the Patent Office.   1 Answer

Junior Patent Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office.

Interview

Was contaced via email that the company wanted to interview me. The interview was done using video conferencing. I had a feeling part of the initial test was to see if you were able to follow instructions in order to get the video conferencing to work properly. There were about 10 questions asked of you and all of the questions are fairly common.

Interview Questions

• what would you do if given two tasks and how would you handle it?   Answer Question

Junior Patent Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in April 2014.

Interview

The interviewer did a phone interview and it lasted 30~35 minutes. The questions were pretty standard, but the ones I recall were:
    1. Is there a particular area of technology you'd be interested in?
    2. Describe a technical project for which you had to do extensive research.
    3. Describe a task / project that you had to accomplish with a short turn around time.
    4. If you were given 4 projects, all with the same importance and same deadlines, how would you prioritize these projects so that all 4 a completed on time?
    5. Describe a situation in which you received constructive criticism about work you have done.

Interview Questions

• The questions were not difficult, all of them pretty standard. The interviewer mentioned that he is required to ask all applicants a set of standard questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in February 2014.

Interview

Via web-ex. Interview was casual. Questions asked could be found online. Interview process took 45 min. SPE was very informative and answered all questions I had about the position as well as the hiring process, including the start date of the next class and how long I should expect to hear back from HR.

Interview Questions

• Do you know what the patent process is like? What is the role of the patent examiner?   Answer Question

Junior Patent Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in September 2013.

Interview

I applied online in August. I had an interview in September. Interview was a phone interview about 30 minutes long. I was asked the same questions as posted on here, as well as what my interests were so they can place in an art unit. I was informed on the day of the government shutdown I was not selected for the position. Coincidence?

Interview Questions

• When did you give a technical presentation? When was the last time you had a confrontation?   Answer Question

Junior Patent Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in September 2013.

Interview

Applied online in late July and was emailed a phone interview offer in early September. The interview was very basic and scripted. All of the questions asked were already posted here. The actual interview lasted about 20 minutes and then there was a 10 minute time period in which the interviewer kept asking if I had any questions. Still haven't heard anything back since the interview.

Interview Questions

• When was there a time you had to convince your supervisor and what did you do to try to persuade them? Describe a situation when you received constructive criticism and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Junior Patent Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office.

Interview

phone interview, quick and painless if you know your stuff

Interview Questions

• situational questions about potential obstacles faced on the job   Answer Question

Negotiation

them: do you want this job with this salary?
    me: yes, thank you, see you soon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in March 2012.

Interview

applied in February, interviewed in March, not selected in April. In applied on USAJOBS.gov - I already had my federal resume prepared. I carefully prepared my cover letter and did a lot of research to prepare for the interview. Perhaps I didn't get an offer because I was too eager, just guessing. One phone interview with 2 patent managers - both were very nice. Asked what I knew about the USPTO, how would I handle difficult people and to give details about my work experience. It was difficult to hear sometimes over the phone because they were both on speakers. I aksed a question but they either misunderstood or gave me additional information so we kind of went round and round on that one. They were very eager to tell me about the orientation and how you would progress in the position.