US Patent and Trademark Office Patent Examiner Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 14, 2018

2.3

180 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Patent Examiner Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office.

Interview

Recruiter from UPSTO, who also seemed to be a former patent examiner, was at on campus college job fair. He conducted interviews after the job fair. After interview, application was completed (ex. education, work history). Several weeks later, personality/behavioral phone interview.

Interview Questions

• OCR: Why do you want to work for the USPTO?
    Phone Interviewer asked personality/behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for US Patent and Trademark Office

Patent Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office.

Interview

Within a few weeks of applying, I was referred to the hiring manager. A couple weeks after that was a webex interview. The interviewer was very friendly and asked all of the questions I expected from reading others' experiences. Short interview (4 questions), only around 20 min.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever been given a task that had a quick turn around, and if so how did you handle it?     1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

I applied through usajobs and they look my application if the qualifications are met, then refer to the selecting official and do the interview, these process took almost 5 weeks

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

I applied online via USAJobs. I heard back about two weeks later that my application met baseline criteria. Two weeks after that, I received an email about when I would have an online video interview. The interview was straightforward and relaxed. He asked three scenario-based questions and took notes on my responses. He then explained some background about the USPTO and being a patent examiner. Overall, it was a good experience.

Interview Questions

• Questions were similar to others posted on here.   1 Answer

Patent Examiner Interview

Interview

Interview was short and concise. The interviewer spent most of the time on the same questions everyone had posted here. It was very behavioral based with only minor questioning on a project I have done before.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about completing multiple tasks with the same due date?   Answer Question

Patent Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in November 2017.

Interview

Very laid back interview and the fact that they ask the same 4 interview questions makes it easy to prepare for. The interviewer said that I should expect an offer before the holidays... It seems like there's a good amount of discussion on this page, so feel free to reach out if you hear anything back from them.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to do extensive research.
      Describe a time when you had to be persuasive.
      Describe a time when you short time amount or had to multitask to get a project done.
      Describe a time when someone criticized your work. And how did you handle it?   6 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in November 2017.

Interview

I applied to all 3 open ME patent examiner positions - San Jose, Denver, Alexandria. Announcement closed 10/23/2017. Interview was scheduled for 11/28/2017. I received the selection notice with tentative offer for Alexandria location on 12/15/2017 (Friday evening), along with background check form. I assume it was for Alexandria position because I live in DC area (Arlington, VA). I haven't received official offer yet but the email on 12/15/2017 literally said (paraphrasing), "Congratulations, you were selected for position in Alexandria, VA location. You will receive official offer from HR services shortly and other information to move forward."

It is 12/18/2017 today (Monday afternoon).

**UPDATE** I was given a more formal offer on 12/19/2017 with report date and GS-7 Step 10 with corresponding salary.**

I emailed interviewer morning of interview and asked if interview was by phone or web. He told me whatever I preferred. I told him phone. I did all of this before interview to make sure there was no confusion (plenty of examples of confusion with the WebEx interviews here on Glassdoor.) I logged onto the Webex interview he sent me the prior day and chose phone selection and covered my camera on my laptop just in case. We started interview exactly on time. I felt that was important so it doesn't start the interview off on the wrong foot. I feel it's common sense but you should see how many reviewers on here didn't start their interview on the right foot.

Interview was exact 4 questions I was prepared for (thanks reviews on Glassdoor). I had my answers pre-written for interview, which made it easy. I also made sure to incorporate my technical skills in my answers.

Make sure your answers are specific. For my first interview last year I prepared detailed, yet vague answers. After each answer, the interviewer told me to give specific examples, so I floundered more than I intended. I didn't get the job that time but I feel it had more to do with the fact that they were looking for a start date of September, yet I wasn't set for graduation until December. She told me that wouldn't work, yet still proceeded with the interview.

Back to the current interview: After I answered the 4 questions, interviewer proceeded to tell me about the job, benefits, biweekly production quota. He asked me what art unit I'd like to be in (where my interest lies withing the Mechanical Engineering field), when my availability is, and what my salary expectations are (which I said "commensurate with my education and experience, yet I looked online at pay scale and I am satisfied with it.")

After that, I gave about a 5-minute speech on how long I've wanted this job, how passionate I am about the position, and well-suited I am for the position, and the how well the position is suited for me (all true).

They want people that won't leave after a year, so you have to show them that.

About my resume (hiring selectors look at you resume, not just your interview results; the interviewer is NOT the one that looks you over for hire.):

B.S. Mech. Eng.
    Top 20 Engineering University in the country - 3.6 GPA
    2 ME internships
    1 ME job after college
    2 ME activities - 1 personal hobby, 1 college group project.
    1 volunteer activity

Negotiation

N/A. Can't negotiate salary, nor art unit.

Patent Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office.

Interview

I had a phone interview with a current patent examiner, who would not be deciding who to hire. He took notes, which were then used to decide who to hire.

Patent Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in November 2017.

Interview

WebEx (phone) interview with supervisory patent examiner.

Interviewer: What area would you like to work in?
    Me: derp derp derp
    Interviewer: Have you been employed by the USPTO before?
    Me: No.
    Interviewer: When is the earliest can you start?
    Me: derp
    Interviewer: Tell me about a time you have to do an extensive research and what was the result?
    Me: derp derp derp
    Interviewer: Tell me about a time you have to do a project at the last minute
    Me: derp
    Interviewer: If you have to complete 4 assignments within two weeks, how would you prioritize?
    Me: derp
    Interviewer: Tell me about a time you have to convince your supervisor?
    Me: derp
    Interviewer: Tell me about a time you face a criticism, and how did you deal with it?
    Me: derp derp derp
    Interviewer explaining about the job.
    Interviewer: Do you have any questions?
    Me: derp
    Interviewer: You'll receive an update next week.

Note that I have not receive a decision yet. I just put a rejection for now. I'll update the status when I hear back from them.

Interview Questions

• They asked the standard four questions. See above.   12 Answers

Patent Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in November 2017.

Interview

Very straightforward just like all of these Glassdoor reviews say. A few HR questions, e.g. asking about start date and confirming the location you're applying for. Then they will ask the same four questions: project that required extensive research, time you made a persuasive argument, facing a very short deadline, dealing with constructive criticism. Then the interviewer will tell you more about the position and answer any questions you may have.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had a very short deadline to complete a project/task.   1 Answer