US Patent and Trademark Office Patent Examiner Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 7, 2017

2.3

59 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Fairfax, VA) in December 2016.

Interview

5 Personality Questions
Used the WebX conference program with a current supervisory patent examiner and interview lasted about 1 hour. Did not few very personal but felt as he was reading directly from a script.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to do a lot of research   Answer Question
  • Describe a time when you had to be very persuasive about something   Answer Question
  • Describe a time when you had an assignment due within a short period of time   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for US Patent and Trademark Office

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

You begin by applying to the USAJOBS.GOV, after the applications are reviewed by HR, after if you are lucky they will pick you for a phone interview with a supervisor where they asked very simple questions (behavioral type interview). The main thing is to ask questions and find out if that is something you want to do. It's not like any job you will have as an Engineer. Process might take one to 3 months. Very easy interview.

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

30 minute Powerpoint presentation with a manager and prospective hires. Afterwards, a 15 minute face to face interview with an HR manager which is a quick review of your KSAs you submitted to USAjobs. Very straight forward to the point.

Interview Questions

• If I had any preferences for art area?   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online, about a month after submissions were closed I was notified by email I was selected for interview.

Interview was 1 week later. Was called by phone, webcam was optional. Interviewer introduced himself and the USPTO, asked 4 basic personality/behavioral questions, and then let me ask a few questions. Have good thoughtful questions ready that show you want to work there long term.

Got tentative offer with starting salary by email about a month later. Unfortunately had to turn down because I had already accepted another job.

Interview Questions

• All the questions are on here already:
      Name a time you had to persuade someone in writing or verbally.
      Name a time you had to gather/research literature for a project and any difficulties you had.
      Name a time you had to complete a project in short notice.
      How do you take criticism?   4 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Arlington, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied on USAJOBS. I interviewed USPTO on April 14.
    They want me to use WebEx, but we had a trouble to connect so I just call the interviewer. A Senior Patent Examiner asked five interview questions. Then I asked questions such as what I'm going to do here as a patent examiner and how long the process will take. He said it probably will take 1~2 weeks and then someone in the hiring center will content me for next process. But I'm still waiting.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

Questions were exactly what has already been posted on glassdoor. Interview was very easy and seemed to flow naturally. The person interviewing me was very nice. I was asked when I could start and also why I was interested in the job. They also stressed to make sure I knew exactly what the job entails so be sure and watch the video they send to prepare for the interview.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had a deadline to meet and what did you do to achieve your goal. Name a time when you received constructive criticism and how did you handle it. If you have multiple projects with a similar deadline how do you solve them.   9 Answers

Application

Interview

I interviewed by Webex internet on April 11. The SPE asked me 5 questions. He was objective and wanted detailed answers. They are hiring 200 examiners. He said they will send offers in May. A lot of people applied. The training is supposed to start in June. I m a biomedical engineer with experience.

Interview Questions

• The same behavioral questions already posted here. No technical questions were asked.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (College Park, MD) in April 2016.

Interview

Had some issues connecting to WebEx originally (ended up using my phone for audio and computer for video). Interviewer took it in stride, explained that it's a common issue. Ended up starting about 5-10 minutes late due to it, entire interview was about 40 minutes. Very easy, very similar to what is seen on glassdoor in other reviews. Mostly behavioral, with 5 questions basic questions about how you handle time management, experience with patents, all the same as seen in other reviews. Large amount of the time was going back and forth with the interviewer making small talk, overall an very laid back experience. Was told would hear back in 2-3 weeks concerning an offer, interviewer seemed positive about my chances of receiving one, heard back in 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to display research skills in order to complete a job   1 Answer

Application

Interview

It's a 10 week process upon the cutoff/closing date. Week 2 or so I received an email from HR saying that I qualified and my application has been forwarded to hiring officials. Week 4-6 was interview (questions can be found on other post below like verbatim). I have applied like twice already going on my third round of hiring so I only had to interview once because the interview put into their database is valid for one year. It was a web-cam interview and they rate you from 1-5 (you want 3+). The interview was really easy and the people interviewing was nice. Around week 8-10 you hear back selected or not. I check this website frequently if anyone has questions, I've figured this process out pretty well.

Interview Questions

• Time management, priorities, basic questions   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Washington, DC).

Interview

The questions I received were exactly as those described in previous reviews. It was very helpful. I would prepare detailed answers for each question you can find. Be sure to be able to provide examples and show any technical knowledge you may have. I think that's where I was lacking.