US Patent and Trademark Office Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

US Patent and Trademark Office Interview Questions in Washington, DC

Updated Dec 12, 2017

2.5

95 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

I applied through usajobs and they look my application if the qualifications are met, then refer to the selecting official and do the interview, these process took almost 5 weeks

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Arlington, VA) in November 2017.

Interview

Asked three or four questions, then answered questions I had about the training process and quota system. Whole interview took about thirty minutes. Initial interview is only interview. Recruiter was very polite and professional.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle multiple tasks of similar importance that would be due at the same time?   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you received constructive criticism and how you handled it   Answer Question
    • Talk about a time when you had to research for a project   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in November 2017.

Interview

I applied online through us-job . It took 2 weeks to review my application, other 2 weeks to select people for interview. Need to take 2 more weeks to get final decision from uspto office. The total process will take 6-7 weeks.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle the multi-tasks with the same high priority?   Answer Question

Patent Examiner Computer Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in December 2016.

Interview

Webx interview, very relaxed, 35 minutes, prompt. Most on this website reported 4 or 5 standard behavioral questions, but I did not get asked even one of those! I was asked about detailed specifics from my resume, past work experience, and generally about my ability to work under strict deadlines and under pressure and my willingness to work in a very narrow area of technology in two-week review cycles over time. I appreciated the interviewer's candor, she seemed genuinely interested in me as a candidate and put me at ease. Submitted application on 10/5/16, got referred status on 10/27, received request for interview on 12/2, interview on 12/7. Per interviewer, due to holidays, candidates will not know of selection until second or third week of January 2017 for a early February class. <sigh> Be prepared to identify very specific technology areas of interest; the Candidate questionnare sent with the interview request was not nearly specific enough.

Interview Questions

• How do you think you would respond if, initially, you worked hard on a task and yet your superiors repeatedly asked you to redo and rewrite, would you be frustrated by this?   83 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Fairfax, VA) in December 2016.

Interview

5 Personality Questions
    Used the WebX conference program with a current supervisory patent examiner and interview lasted about 1 hour. Did not few very personal but felt as he was reading directly from a script.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to do a lot of research   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to be very persuasive about something   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had an assignment due within a short period of time   Answer Question

Design Patent Examiner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

Applied online. Was contacted for an interview about a month and a half later. Interview started with a written test (three questions in 15 minutes). Test involved visual comparison of two objects and the ability to describe the differences and similarities in writing. Other two questions were spatial reasoning questions. Followed by an interview with a panel of three. Questions asked were almost all ones that were mentioned on other Glassdoor.com reviews. Whole thing lasted about an hour. Heard from the office within a week and a half.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had to admit you were wrong? Give a specific example.   Answer Question
    • Explain the design Patent process.   Answer Question
    • Have you ever had to complete multiple tasks at the same time? How did you prioritize your time?   3 Answers

Patent Examiner ­ Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online through USAJOBS.GOV 8/12/2016. Got an email 8/26 saying qualifications met. Got another email 9/2 that I was being referred to selecting official. On 9/12 I got the interview invitational email telling me the date of the interview. Had my interview this morning and I guess it went okay. Questions similar to what everyone had on here already. Guess time will tell if I get an offer. I will adjust this if I get an offer in a few weeks... or not.

Interview Questions

• Multiple tasks with all the same priority and same deadline, how do you prioritize to make sure all get completed.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

You begin by applying to the USAJOBS.GOV, after the applications are reviewed by HR, after if you are lucky they will pick you for a phone interview with a supervisor where they asked very simple questions (behavioral type interview). The main thing is to ask questions and find out if that is something you want to do. It's not like any job you will have as an Engineer. Process might take one to 3 months. Very easy interview.

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

30 minute Powerpoint presentation with a manager and prospective hires. Afterwards, a 15 minute face to face interview with an HR manager which is a quick review of your KSAs you submitted to USAjobs. Very straight forward to the point.

Interview Questions

• If I had any preferences for art area?   3 Answers

Patent Examiner Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

Straightforward, standard questions posted numerous times elsewhere on Glassdoor (how do you handle deadlines, describe a technical research project, etc.). Conducted by a Supervisory Examiner. The comments from the interview will be added to a central database that other SPEs can choose from.

Interview Questions

• If given four projects of equal importance with the same due date, what would you do. Be specific   253 Answers