US Patent and Trademark Office Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

US Patent and Trademark Office Interview Questions in Washington, DC

Updated Feb 7, 2017

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Fairfax, VA) in December 2016.

Interview

5 Personality Questions
    Used the WebX conference program with a current supervisory patent examiner and interview lasted about 1 hour. Did not few very personal but felt as he was reading directly from a script.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to do a lot of research   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to be very persuasive about something   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had an assignment due within a short period of time   Answer Question

Patent Examiner ­ Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online through USAJOBS.GOV 8/12/2016. Got an email 8/26 saying qualifications met. Got another email 9/2 that I was being referred to selecting official. On 9/12 I got the interview invitational email telling me the date of the interview. Had my interview this morning and I guess it went okay. Questions similar to what everyone had on here already. Guess time will tell if I get an offer. I will adjust this if I get an offer in a few weeks... or not.

Interview Questions

• Multiple tasks with all the same priority and same deadline, how do you prioritize to make sure all get completed.   1 Answer

Patent Examiner Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

Straightforward, standard questions posted numerous times elsewhere on Glassdoor (how do you handle deadlines, describe a technical research project, etc.). Conducted by a Supervisory Examiner. The comments from the interview will be added to a central database that other SPEs can choose from.

Interview Questions

• If given four projects of equal importance with the same due date, what would you do. Be specific   253 Answers

Design Patent Examiner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in May 2016.

Interview

They start off with a visual exercise and give you 15 minutes to complete. First part asks you look at a 3D shape that has edges missing in two different views. You have to complete the sides/edges that are missing.

Second part asks you to describe two different objects - to talk about how they are similar and about how they are different.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when something was hard for your to do and how did you go about figuring it out?   Answer Question
    • Talk about how you were asked to do something that was difficult for your to do and you did it and it didn't turn out the way you thought it would (as in it went really bad)   Answer Question
    • How would your manager, etc describe you - the kind of person you are   Answer Question
    • Questions about weaknesses and strengths I think   Answer Question

Design Patent Examiner Interview

Application

Interview

It spanned one hour in duration. The first 15 minutes (timed) was dedicated to a visual/spatial relation analysis as well as a handwritten section (writing in complete, detailed sentences) wherein you had to compare/contrast two objects. The latter portion of the interview involved a Q/A session beginning with the panel of four supervisors asking you specific questions focusing on how you behaviorally respond to pressure and deadline situations, and finishing with you being able to counter-interview the panel about job specifics.

Interview Questions

• Has there been a time when you had to go outside your skill and knowledge set in order to analyze or solve/negotiate a situation? The answer does not have to involve a work-related experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Arlington, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied on USAJOBS. I interviewed USPTO on April 14.
    They want me to use WebEx, but we had a trouble to connect so I just call the interviewer. A Senior Patent Examiner asked five interview questions. Then I asked questions such as what I'm going to do here as a patent examiner and how long the process will take. He said it probably will take 1~2 weeks and then someone in the hiring center will content me for next process. But I'm still waiting.

Application

Interview

Questions were exactly what has already been posted on glassdoor. Interview was very easy and seemed to flow naturally. The person interviewing me was very nice. I was asked when I could start and also why I was interested in the job. They also stressed to make sure I knew exactly what the job entails so be sure and watch the video they send to prepare for the interview.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had a deadline to meet and what did you do to achieve your goal. Name a time when you received constructive criticism and how did you handle it. If you have multiple projects with a similar deadline how do you solve them.   9 Answers

Application

Interview

I interviewed by Webex internet on April 11. The SPE asked me 5 questions. He was objective and wanted detailed answers. They are hiring 200 examiners. He said they will send offers in May. A lot of people applied. The training is supposed to start in June. I m a biomedical engineer with experience.

Interview Questions

• The same behavioral questions already posted here. No technical questions were asked.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (College Park, MD) in April 2016.

Interview

Had some issues connecting to WebEx originally (ended up using my phone for audio and computer for video). Interviewer took it in stride, explained that it's a common issue. Ended up starting about 5-10 minutes late due to it, entire interview was about 40 minutes. Very easy, very similar to what is seen on glassdoor in other reviews. Mostly behavioral, with 5 questions basic questions about how you handle time management, experience with patents, all the same as seen in other reviews. Large amount of the time was going back and forth with the interviewer making small talk, overall an very laid back experience. Was told would hear back in 2-3 weeks concerning an offer, interviewer seemed positive about my chances of receiving one, heard back in 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to display research skills in order to complete a job   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

It's a 10 week process upon the cutoff/closing date. Week 2 or so I received an email from HR saying that I qualified and my application has been forwarded to hiring officials. Week 4-6 was interview (questions can be found on other post below like verbatim). I have applied like twice already going on my third round of hiring so I only had to interview once because the interview put into their database is valid for one year. It was a web-cam interview and they rate you from 1-5 (you want 3+). The interview was really easy and the people interviewing was nice. Around week 8-10 you hear back selected or not. I check this website frequently if anyone has questions, I've figured this process out pretty well.

Interview Questions

• Time management, priorities, basic questions   2 Answers