US Postal Service City Carrier Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 19, 2017

1.9

254 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

City Carrier Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Postal Service in January 2015.

Interview

The entire process took just over a month, and about a month and a half till the start of orientation (Remember this is a government job so there's always extensive screening processes). I did an online application on December 10th, 2014. Following my submission, I was emailed a link to complete an online assessment. They both were fairly easy; it seemed more or less to see if you were competent (the second was more personality based questions).

A week later on December 17th I was emailed a link to sign up to do a proctored exam. This you have to complete within x amount of days (I think it was complete it within 5 days). I was worried since I obviously was working a different job and it was a week before Christmas. Luckily there was a date and time that I was available for. I signed up for Exam 473 Delivery, Distribution and Retail and took the exam on the last available day: December 22nd, 2014. There's plenty of practice exams and examples online so research it! Its not a typical exam and not a good one to walk into blindly. They will email you your results before you get home from the exam. I think the passing grade that qualifies you for the CCA position is 82%

A week later on December 29th, 2014 I was emailed an invite to interview face-to-face. Along with this email, they also send you links to complete a background check and to go in to a place to do a drug test (urinalysis).

They do mass interviews/orientations so they tell you a date and time and there's not much leeway. Mine was for January 6th, 2015. I walked into a conference room with 50 other people there for the same position. (I live in a large city with many cities/post offices so there were plenty of positions open). We filled out paperwork (In case we were offered a position it would be done already) and then the HR rep gave more details about the position to weed out any weak ones (which some people actually got up and left). Then we all were individually interviewed (5 at a time and my luck I was the last round of interviews...it took over 2 hours until my turn).

On to the actual interview:

It was easy...really easy. Whenever I do any job interview I always find something to connect me with my interviewer. Luckily this happened immediately. I like finding a connection because then you can mostly talk about that (instead of the job) and build a relationship getting them to really like you. My advice: be the one to ask questions and lead the interview. Anywho, the questions were so simple, mostly just to see if you are willing to battle the weather. Since I live in a region that gets bombarded with blizzards in the winter and extreme humidity in the summer, they just wanted to see if you were up to being outside and walking in the extreme conditions. It was basically just a compatibility interview to see if you grew up with a strong work ethic and if you can handle the outside world. At the end of the interview my interviewer told me she was going to recommend me for the position ( I don't know if they typically tell people that; I was just the last one of the day and we had good report so I think she told me to lessen the pain of being there all day).

2 days later on January 8th, 2015 I received another email giving me a conditional offer for the position contingent on passing a medical assessment. The medical assessment consisted of 3 questions just asking if you're on any current medication, if you have any current injuries, and if you have any past injuries that will prevent you from doing any functions of the job. I printed it out and emailed it back within 5 minutes.

Then on January 13th, 2015 I received my final email congratulating me on the position and confirming that I was actually being hired. In the email I received instructions on my week long paid orientation that starts January 26th, 2015.

Hope this helps. I will post another review after my orientation!

Interview Questions

• Have you had a job requiring you to work outside before?   22 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for US Postal Service

City Carrier Assistant Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at US Postal Service.

Interview

I was given a look around. Went through a couple points the interviewer had on paper. Not a bad experience, but seemed the guy just wanted to give me a look and quick rundown rather than personally evaluating a potential employee.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Postal Service (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

Avoid usps at least in Colorado. Offered pay is ok however they are not able to guarantee hours and no benefits for year. The postmaster giving the interview was quite distracted with other things going on and took it and made several calls during the interview extremely unprofessional for somebody in this position. She was however very upfront and polite and I appreciated that however when I came to the question of how many hours you would work a week I was told between five and 50 depending on the need and I was promised it would be times when I would receive a 20 hour work week

Interview Questions

• What kind of steps would you take two I'm sure your safety out on the delivery route   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at US Postal Service (Phoenix, AZ) in July 2017.

Interview

It was about 30 of us in one room then they would pull us out to 3 interviewers. One on one interview. Simple questions. Didn't take long. Maybe about a hour and a half

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hempstead, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Postal Service (Hempstead, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

Process is very simple. Honestly if you are a college student or want to have a second job this wouldn't be for you. The process takes about a month. Filled out the app, next day took the assessment test. 3 weeks later I get called in for a interview. The interview you better get there a bit early so you can be one of the first people. Other than that you'll be there for up to 4 hours. They tell you about all the bad stuff which isn't interesting at all. No consistent schedule, working on saturdays and sundays and holidays. The fact that you would just be a fill in until someone retires or quit wasn't something that was interesting to me. I recommend trying to get into working there another way. Mail clerk or sales is better in my eyes.

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Postal Service (Oklahoma City, OK) in June 2017.

Interview

You wait in a room full of other applicants listing to a lady tell you about the position. After that is the one on one interview by one of the many managers from different locations.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Postal Service (Oakland, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

40 applicants were herded into an old room under the main floor. We sat in school desks and watched a few videos on the job and then the four employees working the event took us each aside individually and went over our applications to tweak anything if necessary.

Then one of the four stood in front of the room and announced that they would only be placing people in Oakland, even though none of the 40 applicants had actually applied for Oakland. I applied for Dublin/Livermore and everyone around me applied for other cities like Antioch/Concord, and Sonoma/Napa. A few people left. Everyone else who stayed was pulled one by one to interview with one of four postmasters. My interview was all of 3 minutes and ridiculously easy. I was asked why I wanted to work for the USPS and then a few yes or no questions asking if I was able to perform job duties. My interviewer told me that he was going to recommend me.

There were fewer applicants than jobs to fill so I'm pretty sure all 40 will get a job offer.
    I'm pretty sure this whole thing was just a ruse to get people to agree to work in Oakland which is the nastiest, ghettoist city in Northern California. They had dozens of people apply for jobs in 6+ towns with no intention of hiring anyone to work in those towns. That's fraudulent and really unethical.

I'm very upset with the postal service for lying to all of us. They wasted a lot of my time, stress and gas/ parking money.

When I get my offer I'm going to decline.

City Carrier Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Postal Service in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online, was emailed about coming in for an interview a few weeks later. Two to three weeks after that, I was emailed a conditional offer. I had to schedule a drug test and fill out another background check online. I completed both items by the next day. I received notice for orientation not too long after that, which was 12 days prior to my first day. Looking forward to starting!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasant Grove, UT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Postal Service (Pleasant Grove, UT) in May 2017.

Interview

First I applied online via the USPS website. Soon after that I was sent a link to take a test online (sort of a personality test). After that I scheduled to take test 473 at a nearby location the next week. They have a practice exam on the USPS website, so it wasn't too difficult. Maybe a week after that, someone from the nearby post office called and asked if I was still interested in the position, and scheduled an interview for later that same day. I was sitting in an office room in the post office with two interviewers (one asked most all of the questions). He mostly explained what the positions would be like, what the requirements would be, etc, and asked some pretty basic questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe yourself in one word. Describe your work ethic in one word.   Answer Question
    • If you were called in to work on a day you weren't scheduled, what would keep you from coming in?   1 Answer
    • What made you want to work at the post office? What do you hope to get out of working here?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Postal Service (Seattle, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

It was a quick interview, perfunctory. The interview was friendly and answered all my questions about job process, what the work is like, etc. It seemed like if they already want to hire you then the interview is just to check the box.