US Postal Service City Carrier Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Postal Service City Carrier Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Feb 7, 2017

1.9

City Carrier Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Postal Service in January 2015.

Interview

The entire process took just over a month, and about a month and a half till the start of orientation (Remember this is a government job so there's always extensive screening processes). I did an online application on December 10th, 2014. Following my submission, I was emailed a link to complete an online assessment. They both were fairly easy; it seemed more or less to see if you were competent (the second was more personality based questions).

A week later on December 17th I was emailed a link to sign up to do a proctored exam. This you have to complete within x amount of days (I think it was complete it within 5 days). I was worried since I obviously was working a different job and it was a week before Christmas. Luckily there was a date and time that I was available for. I signed up for Exam 473 Delivery, Distribution and Retail and took the exam on the last available day: December 22nd, 2014. There's plenty of practice exams and examples online so research it! Its not a typical exam and not a good one to walk into blindly. They will email you your results before you get home from the exam. I think the passing grade that qualifies you for the CCA position is 82%

A week later on December 29th, 2014 I was emailed an invite to interview face-to-face. Along with this email, they also send you links to complete a background check and to go in to a place to do a drug test (urinalysis).

They do mass interviews/orientations so they tell you a date and time and there's not much leeway. Mine was for January 6th, 2015. I walked into a conference room with 50 other people there for the same position. (I live in a large city with many cities/post offices so there were plenty of positions open). We filled out paperwork (In case we were offered a position it would be done already) and then the HR rep gave more details about the position to weed out any weak ones (which some people actually got up and left). Then we all were individually interviewed (5 at a time and my luck I was the last round of interviews...it took over 2 hours until my turn).

On to the actual interview:

It was easy...really easy. Whenever I do any job interview I always find something to connect me with my interviewer. Luckily this happened immediately. I like finding a connection because then you can mostly talk about that (instead of the job) and build a relationship getting them to really like you. My advice: be the one to ask questions and lead the interview. Anywho, the questions were so simple, mostly just to see if you are willing to battle the weather. Since I live in a region that gets bombarded with blizzards in the winter and extreme humidity in the summer, they just wanted to see if you were up to being outside and walking in the extreme conditions. It was basically just a compatibility interview to see if you grew up with a strong work ethic and if you can handle the outside world. At the end of the interview my interviewer told me she was going to recommend me for the position ( I don't know if they typically tell people that; I was just the last one of the day and we had good report so I think she told me to lessen the pain of being there all day).

2 days later on January 8th, 2015 I received another email giving me a conditional offer for the position contingent on passing a medical assessment. The medical assessment consisted of 3 questions just asking if you're on any current medication, if you have any current injuries, and if you have any past injuries that will prevent you from doing any functions of the job. I printed it out and emailed it back within 5 minutes.

Then on January 13th, 2015 I received my final email congratulating me on the position and confirming that I was actually being hired. In the email I received instructions on my week long paid orientation that starts January 26th, 2015.

Hope this helps. I will post another review after my orientation!

Interview Questions

• Have you had a job requiring you to work outside before?   20 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for US Postal Service

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Postal Service (Honolulu, HI).

Interview

After I applied, I was sent an email to take an exam and a drug test. Once that was processed, I was called in for an interview with the Post Master.

Interview Questions

• What do you do if one supervisor tells you to do something and then another supervisor tells you to do something else?   2 Answers
    • Explain how you lift a fairly large box from the ground?   1 Answer
    • If you needed to transport a cart of mail from one location to another, do you push or pull? Why?   1 Answer
    • When approaching a parking stall, do you park head forward or back in? Why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Postal Service (Birmingham, AL).

Interview

Received email to come in for an interview. Interviewed individually. Receive email regards to whether you got the job. Go in for orientation and taker drug test and fingerprint scan.

City Carrier Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Postal Service.

Interview

Actually getting a interview was a long process because of the test you would have to take, After that a background and drivers record check then you basically waiting (About a month and a half) when I got a email to come in ror a interview you watch 2 very short films then they take you to get interview with a lot of other people!!!! Wait time is LONG! Nearly 2 hours before I was taking back to get interviewed. I almost fell asleep waiting but my interviewer was really nice ! But make sure you bring all forms of I.d and if you don't they will be a little salty lol

Interview Questions

• Very easy question to make sure you fit to work this type of job.

Do you enjoy working outdoors?
      Why do you want to work here ?
      1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Postal Service (Aurora, CO).

Interview

i applied, took an assessment test, waited 1 month to hear about an interview, was asked to resubmit somethings, like references, via email, was to given only 2 days advance notice, and it was a group interview, took a drug test, waited another month, got hired, and started training two weeks after

Interview Questions

• just for contact info and references, it's done online   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Postal Service (New York, NY).

Interview

This was a 3 month long process to get an interview, and in the end the budget for hiring ran out and they couldn't hire anyone. There are a lot of steps before you are even considered for an interview. After the application, if you pass the initial screening process you will be invited for an exam. Veterans get a leg up, and are given extra points. The test mainly tests your memorization abilities and attention to detail. I believe you must score at least a 70 and apparently its not easy to do. My score was 85.5 (I'm not a vet) and apparently that was well enough to be considered for a managerial position. From what I can tell, Most don't get much higher than that. After the exam, you have to pass a background check, a drug test, and driving record check. Then you just wait for an email for an interview. After the interview they give you an envelope so you can get fingered printed at your own expense. I did mine at my local police station, fairly cheap. Then for months nothing. I had to call to see what was going on. Apparently, the budget ran out and they wouldn't be hiring for a while. Two months later I get emails about the same position requesting another background check, driving record, and drug test. To me it just wasn't worth the effort anymore.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work on call, even during holidays and weekends?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Danbury, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at US Postal Service (Danbury, CT) in January 2017.

Interview

INITIAL APPLICATION 12/14/16

I applied originally for the role of CCA in Milford,CT (encompasses 10 POs around the area of milford).I applied for this on 12/14/16. I had gotten an assessment to do online within 5 minutes of applying.This assessment consisted of general questions about work ethic and attitude.It is about a good 100 questions,please take your time with it.
    I assume I passed this assessment because they gave me an invitation (Email)to go for the 473 postal exam.In this email you are allowed to pick a date and location that is closest to you.The date I picked was 12/19/16 in Milford CT

EXAMINATION DAY 12/19/16

Time for the exam,I go in promptly 15 mins before the exam time I had picked. I check in with the test admin give them all my information (DL and SS cards).I went in the computer room and all my information was on the screen ready for me to check off and authorize that it was me taking the test.
    The test consisted of 3 sections; Address Checking,Forms Completion and also Coding and Memory(Coding and memory are broken up in to two sections). the whole exam took me about 45 minutes give or take 5 mins. I then logged off the computers and checked out with the admin and grabbed my belongings and left.It took me 3 minutes to get to my car and I look at my phone and check my email to see if I had gotten anything. USPS Assessment results came in. I open the email and I passed with an 80.3 Great test score! In order to be eligible for employment you need to have an exam score of 70.0 This will all be addressed in the series of emails.

Now you have done the Exams and Applications what is next? You have to apply to the positions and make sure you update your profile to include your test score. Most of the times it will already be in there and locked in your profile.

APPLYING AND HIRING PROCESS

I have applied for 22 positions here in Connecticut . I have kept up with all correspondence and also updated the jobs lists to make sure I apply every day at every job that goes out there.
    5 of those 20 go through to a Pre hire list in a couple days I get and email for an interview and noticed my USPS job applications list that 2 of those 5 are now on a Pre Screening list. I got an interview and not just for one but for 2 at the same exact day.1/5/17

Interview Questions

• Will you be willing to work 8-10 Hours any given day?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

Simple and straight to the point, the man was very nice and kept giving me compliments, Talked about how I would never have time for myself anymore with working this job and boy was he right.

Anonymous Employee in Van Nuys, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at US Postal Service (Van Nuys, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied online for the CCA position for North Hollywood/Santa Clarity and Glendale/Pasadena at the end of November 2016. I took the personality assessment test online, authorized driving record search, and scheduled and taken the written test within a week of applying. I received a score of 89.4. No veteran points. I was invited to attend an interview on 12/20/16. It took almost 3+ hours to process a room full of candidates of about 90 people. 1st, they check everyone's online applications for completeness and ask you to correct and/or supplement when needed, and sign. Then wait for the interviewers to call your name to interview 1-on-1. I had a women interviewer and she asked several questions whether I can do the job and how I would deal with difficult customers. At the end of the interview, she told me that she will recommend me for the job and asked me to go back and wait for further processing. Waiting again... They called my name along with several others (3-4) and took us to another room to start filling out paperwork. It took another week or so to get the fingerprinting done; another week thereafter to do the drug testing. (They say that the fingerprinting and drug test are normally done at the same time frame, but because it was end of the year, they were shorthanded with many people on vacation).

Thereafter, it took few days to get a call to get an offer to start work in 2 week. I accepted. I am to report for the training on 1/23/17 at Santa Clarity Office. I am waiting for the further instruction at this point.

The process is pretty straightforward and easy to follow. During any other time then the end of the year, the process would be much quicker and you will know within 4 week if you do everything right away instead of waiting. That's was my experience about the interviewing with the USPS.

Interview Questions

• 1.Can you physically handle long hours on your feet?   1 Answer
    • 2. Can you work under pressure to get the work done in a timely and profession manner?   1 Answer
    • 3. What was your last job like?   1 Answer
    • 4. MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION: What would you do if you have an angry customer who is unreasonable?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Postal Service (Arlington, VA) in December 2016.

Interview

The majority of the process is the weeks spent filing for background checks and pre-employment testing. This process is unforgiving; if you take too long or just miss and email, you will not be hired. By the time you get to the mass "interview," you have basically been accepted as a candidate. Show up on time; don't fall asleep; pass your training, and you're in. It took two months to get me on the job, and I worked for four weeks.