US Postal Service City Carrier Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Postal Service City Carrier Interview Questions

Updated Jan 12, 2017

2.7

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Postal Service (Sacramento, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

I tested, very high score, basic interview held, no tough questions, knew the interviewer from my childhood. I was hired and started as a city letter carrier and later was promoted to a supervisor position

Other Interview Reviews for US Postal Service

Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at US Postal Service (Santa Ana, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

Pffftt.... what interview, just don't look like a schmuck and you pretty much got it. I showed up in a full blown suit, while other guys showed up with nikes and a sweatshirt and still got a job offer. Its a high turnover rate over there.

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Postal Service (Newark, NJ) in June 2008.

Interview

Very good interview process did a drug screen went through training which was like 3 days if I remember correctly. Met the post master and general manager and it was actually a great experience.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at US Postal Service (Austin, TX).

Interview

My experience was great. But there are about 40% of the work force that didn't go through the interview process. They were the product of nepotism and are not qualified to do their job efficiently.

Interview Questions

• Why should I hire you instead of someone else just as qualified?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was told the Salary, and I accepted.

Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Postal Service (Roanoke, VA) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied online, took online exam after that waited 3 months to get an email for interview. It was an easy interview. I was there with only one more guy. After interview got email for drug test and all other process. I did all that and started my job from December 1st. first 2 days orientation with many people then 3 days CCA academy then 1 day driving practice/test and after that 3 days on job training. After all that my actual job started. I got posting in nice post office with nice people and easy riding route. I worked so hard to impress my supervisor and manager. Without taking break/ lunch I was keep working but after 70 days they terminate me from that position because they sent me to other post office where they give me 12 miles walking route to finish in 7 hours and i could not make it in 7 hours. It took me 9 hours with other peoples help. For week they keep giving me hard route in 2 different station but I didn't quite so at final they terminate me. It sucks to work in post office. I cried in this job.

I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THAT IF YOU HAVE BETTER JOB OR TRY TO FIND OTHER JOB THEN THIS. IT DOES NOT WORTH YOUR BODY AND MIND. IT IS SO MUCH STRESS.

City Carrier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at US Postal Service in May 2016.

Interview

I started the online application and then took the assessment test after a week the 473 exam and then background check and medical and then interview..postmaster just read some basic questions and only take less than 15 min.

City Carrier Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Postal Service in August 2008.

Interview

The interview process begins with a paper application which may get you in the door. From there, you may be hired as a TE (Temporary Employee) or as a career employee. To be considered for a career position, you will need to take a civil service exam at a local branch and pass with a high score to make the roster. If you are in the top 10% of the roster, you may receive the interview.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you had a conflict with a manager or supervisor. How was the issue resolved?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at US Postal Service (Burlington, NC) in January 2010.

Interview

The hiring process is rigorous and lengthy. First you have to score well on their exam. Do yourself a favor and practice for this exam by purchasing a book. After your exam, if you score well then you can you get put on a list. It took about 4 months after I got a letter in the mail with an offer for an interview. Afterwards, I was interviewed along 8 others and then offered a job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation, wages were fixed.

City Carrier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at US Postal Service.

Interview

Applied for job, took assessment and passed. Took another assessment at a controlled computer lab and passed. Got called in for a group interview and filed out about 15 pages of paperwork. Then had a 1-on-1 interview with a local Post Master that last about 20 minutes. After about 2 days got an e-mail to take a drug test and background screen. Then went back to home Post Office to fill out a medical assessment. Finally got the offer letter via e-mail and mail about 3 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• How much time would you spend interacting with customers?   1 Answer
    • A dog is loose and blocking you to do your job and deliver the mail at a house... what do you do?   1 Answer
    • A customer is upset with you because you don't have their monthly check on the 1st... what do you say/do?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. The pay is set and was posted upfront.

City Carrier Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at US Postal Service in January 2008.

Interview

I actually took the test three years before the interview. The test is more than four hours long and is a personality test, skills test, IQ, etc..Then you wait, and wait, and wait. They will send you your test score and you have to be over 80%, I think, to even be looked at. After that, if they get down to your name in the test score rankings, you will be called in for an interview. They don't really tell you much about the position, normally they say there are a few spots they are trying to fill. Maybe a few months later you will get a letter saying you have to go for a drug test and that they are offering you the job if you pass the drug and background check. Even after accepting the job, you have to train and then take more test--and if you don't pass, you're terminated. Lets say you get the job...then you find out that you're going to doing, xyz--but it's on a part-time basis, no regular hours, but the hourly rate is great. So you accept and then you learn they own you. they send you where ever when ever and if you only get two hours of scheduled work for that week, you have to run around and try to pick up hours at other offices just so you can pay the insurance costs. The last portion is the stuff they don't tell you in the interview.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really--it's so cut and dry. The interview was really normal.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation with them--it's all set-up on "grade" and "level". You get what you get.