USA Today Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 19, 2017

2.8

Marketing Strategy Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at USA Today (Reno, NV) in August 2017.

Interview

Fair, open, transparent, helpful, positive. The standardized and professional approach is something I appreciate. The sourcer and recruiter were excellent, as was the HR manager locally and my hiring manager abroad (new boss)

Interview Questions

• Project - create a marketing deck   1 Answer

Writer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at USA Today.

Interview

Interview went well. Until the recruiter looked as my resume and I was asked my age. Isn't that illegal? I ended up telling him and I never got a call back.

Vice President, Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at USA Today (McLean, VA) in January 2017.

Interview

I had a phone screen with a recruiter that was the result of a random meeting invite that was emailed to me. I had to move some prior meetings around to make the time work since it appeared there was no flexibility in scheduling. She called on time but couldn't remember what role she was calling about. She was trying to find her notes because she had been "calling so many people today." I waited through at least five minutes of paper shuffling for her to get it together. Then she described the role but still seemed a little unsure about it. After that she asked questions that she could have answered if she had thoroughly read my resume. I know that people have bad days sometimes so I gave her some slack. She then promised a follow-up within a couple business days, even said she understood the importance of "timely feedback," so would definitely do so. After more than 3 business days I messaged her for status. No response. I tried messaging her twice more within the next couple of weeks with no response. She completely ghosted me. She was unorganized from the start and then had no follow-through. Left a very bad impression of this organization, especially considering the role I had applied for. I hope their business isn't that disorganized and unprofessional, else they are in serious trouble.

Interview Questions

• How many people are on your current team?
      What is your current pay including bonus?
      Describe your current role.   Answer Question

Digital Marketing Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at USA Today (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

I was asked to set up a time for a phone call, we spoke ton the phone and it was mostly her asking questions which I felt like it was coming from a generic list. When I had to ask question back she didn't give me much time. She kept asking when I'd be able to start without giving me a salary.

Interview Questions

• Why would you want to work here   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate, and when asked what my salary requirements were she said she'd review the information with her supervisor.

Page Editor/Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at USA Today (Phoenix, AZ) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview wasn't great. We emailed back and forth all weekend (because she took forever to respond) and then we set up a time for a phone interview that was less than 24 hours later. Then when the time came around, I waited and waited and waited and she never called. After about 20 minutes of waiting, I looked up her number to call her. When she answered, she had no idea who I was, why I was calling and she even tried to deny that we had an interview set up at all. After I basically had to convince her to interview me, she didn't know which job I was applying for, she didn't look up my resume or application and she didn't know anything about me. I had to explain in detail every piece of my resume because she didn't look it up. It was very disappointing because this is pretty much my dream job and I felt I wasn't being taken seriously at all. After a couple of follow ups, she hasn't gotten back to me once.

Interview Questions

• What is the best headline you have ever read? What makes a good headline?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at USA Today (McLean, VA) in May 2016.

Interview

It started off on a friendly yet professional note. I never felt like they were looking to just get over with the interview and move on with their day.

Interview Questions

• Past experiences, what you bring to the table, situational questions   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at USA Today.

Interview

Applied through the online process. Made it through the first round and then had to do a sample piece. Writers obviously write an article, visual applicants submit a photo, graphic, drawing, etc. They give you instructions. There's also a phone interview.

Interview Questions

• There was a brief phone interview. Mostly gauging personality and behavior.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at USA Today (Phoenix, AZ) in October 2015.

Interview

I interviewed with a Gannett recruiter at my school. I had already worked with USA Today last summer as a Collegiate Correspondent and was interning for another Gannett-owned newspaper, so it was an easy interview. He didn't ask me much about the company because he assumed I already knew about it, which I did. After a few weeks, the main recruiter called me and offered me the internship.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at USA Today in June 2015.

Interview

Corresponded with the hiring manager, my application had been flagged by a current employee. After some back and forth with the hiring manager was referred to the actual employment listing. Applied through that, waited and was forwarded directly to the department head. Brief phone screen and was sent an offer. It required some networking, and several followups to make sure the process was moving forward.

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at USA Today.

Interview

Submitted an online application, heard directly from a department head a few months later. Was interviewed via phone. The dept. head said that he had a few more applicants to interview and then would get back to me either way in a week.

Interview Questions

• He had very few questions for me. If I didn't have a lot of questions prepared, the interview would have ended in 10 minutes.   Answer Question